• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by oldpins
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

New Stepper installed 5974 (resized).jpg (© © Mark Gibson)
gtb-pb391-backbox (resized).jpg
Gottlieb 78 Parts Catalog Spot Pool (resized).jpg
spot pool - player stepper unit (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldpins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi all,

This is a big ask ! Does anyone own a Gottlieb 'Spot Pool'. I have a machine which has the 'Player Unit' missing. I am looking for photos of the unit. Photos of the front, back etc. I was thinking if I can not find an original unit, I may be able to install a unit from a different title which can be modified to suit.Plans are to order a schematic from PBR.

Thanks for your help.

spot pool - player stepper unit (resized).jpgspot pool - player stepper unit (resized).jpg
#3 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Spot Pool was apparently made for export to Italy so it will have subtly different rules than its counterpart Bank Shot. According to the '78 parts catalog, neither game has a Player Unit:..........

Thank you Mark for helping and educating me on this !!! Did some research following your post, and looks that I am missing the 'Ball Count' unit. Not sure if anyone would have a complete used unit for sale? If I could get some photos of the unit from someone this would help to determine what type of stepper it is. (e.g. Step up, up / Reset....)

Greg

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I suspect that the Ball Count unit is a two solenoid stepper (add and reset).
From what I can tell browsing through the '78 Gottlieb Parts Catalog the only other games that use the same Ball Count unit are single player games made for Italy. There are several Spot Pool owners listed on pinballowners.com (all in Italy) who might be able to send a photo. You could also try asking for one at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-em-seeking-parts-thread
There are many single player, replay (not Add A Ball) games that use the same gear and wiper but a different contact disc. Those would be easier to find if PBR can make you a contact disc.

Thanks Mark for your assistance !!! I will see what I can come up with.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Starting with Bank Shot, Gottlieb started outfitting their domestic AAB titles with the lightbox advance unit, which is something the Italian exports had for a long time before. I assumed the wiring for these games was probably the same for efficiency in engineering and production, but the different part numbers on the ball count unit are an interesting find, MarkG. I wonder what the difference is in the ball-tracking logic.

I found this post in the forum quite interesting, worth a read.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-add-a-ball-count-unit

#8 4 years ago

MarkG & leckmeck, FYI. I sent an email to PBR yesterday to pick their brains on the 'Ball Count Unit'. They have got back to me this morning (Great service !!!) to say they don't have a complete 'Ball Count Unit' and don't have the game specific Gear/Shaft, Disc, or Wiper. They quoted that other games that used the same Gear/Shaft-Disc-Wiper are:

Jungle Life
Top Hand
Ten Up
Sky Dive
Royal Pair
Tiger
High Seas

PBR also email the below photo showing 'Ball Count' unit.

Have a better understanding of what I am looking for, and positive I will track down a unit.

gtb-pb391-backbox (resized).jpggtb-pb391-backbox (resized).jpg
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I believe that Lucky Strike also uses the same Ball Count Unit.
Beware that if you do locate a complete unit from another game the wire colors may not match those in your game. Comparing the schematics of both games will help verify any wire color mismatches. Been there, done that...
[quoted image]

Thanks Mark, will take that on board.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

glad you are saving it greg, was so tempted to buy it

PM sent.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldpins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-spot-pool-player-unit?tu=oldpins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.