Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Webbing (resized).jpg
IMG_6118 (resized).jpg
IMG_6117 (resized).jpg
IMG_6116 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

This is my first attempt to splatter paint a cabinet. I lightly applied the paint with an airbrush at 50psi. I received recommendations from "boilerman" regarding the paint type. Many Thanks!!

Now moving forward and will apply the "Pinball Pimp" stencils. I hope one coat of red and blue will cover the splatter paint.

IMG_6116 (resized).jpgIMG_6116 (resized).jpg
IMG_6117 (resized).jpgIMG_6117 (resized).jpg
IMG_6118 (resized).jpgIMG_6118 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

What kind of paint did he say to use? I will be starting a cabinet restoration soon?

#3 7 years ago

There are so many similarities between your cabinet and the Petacos Pinball I am restoring (Recel Lady Luck restoration) that it is obvious that Petacos used Gottlieb cabinets and hardware. The main difference is that they did their Spanish cabinets with wood particles boards...Yikes.

Yves

#4 7 years ago

Looks as good as the testor's paint + model glue I tried, probably a lot less messy to clean the airbrush.
Is this using http://www.bohning.com/fletch-lac-gloss-lacquer/?

#5 7 years ago

The paint is Krylon Marbelizing Spray in black lava. It comes in a 4 oz rattle can. I sprayed the contents into a jar and let sit for awhile for the gas to dissipate. The jar will be frosted from the propellant. I then practiced with the airbrush to get what I felt was a decent flow.

That front panel is a recent fabrication. The original was junk. I have a cabinet maker that did that for me with birch plywood. Came out great!

1 year later
#6 6 years ago

OK, here's my twist on using Krylon Marbelizing Spray in black lava for webbing. If you use it directly, you get long stringy webs that don't look good. However, if you go to the thrift store and buy a couple of old tennis rackets (I paid $2 a piece) and spray through the racket strings, you don't get the long strings, but shorter webs that are more like what is sprayed in the factory. Depending on what you prefer, you can cut out every other string if you think a regular strung racket is too restrictive. I would recommend having a couple of rackets on hand to do this as the spray tends to clog the racket strings. Because of the clogging, the bigger the racket head the better. I'm happy with the results and I didn't have to mess with transferring the Krylon from the can to the spray gun, thinning and then cleaning the gun. After the webbing has dried for a couple of days, I wet sanded it a small section at a time and wiped it off with a clean damp rag. It also helps if you have a magic eraser handy if any black from the wet sanding remains on your base coat.

Webbing (resized).jpgWebbing (resized).jpg

3 months later
#7 6 years ago

Resurrection for this topic. I need to do this now and was not understanding how to set up the airbrush. How much is brush set up and how much is paint type?

When I tried this with acrylic I could get zero splatter even If I removed the needle. Any detailed help here would be deeply appreciated.

#8 6 years ago

Bump for detailed instructions on how the air brush was set up and used for this.

#9 6 years ago

This may help:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/webbing-of-the-day#post-3344556

Did my first webbing on a Mibs - used Ken's technique.

HF touch up gun ($13-25%)with a added cheap-o plastic regulator ($3) and moisture filter ($3)
Lacquer Thinner (@HD- $13 gal.)
Montana Black $pider $pray Paint ($8 small can) - couldn't find any Krylon, spayed into reservoir (maybe an ounce plus) and added almost the same amount of thinner
3 gallon compressor @ 60psi

Previously primed/painted base coat. After final coat was barely dry to touch I mixed the webbing and practiced bursts on cardboard. Saw what I wanted with gun about 6 inches from surface using very short blasts, everything wide open. Moved directly to cab. Could do the entire head before the tiny compressor kicked on.

Beautiful very fine webbing nearly identical to what I saw on the 'protected areas'. Tried a few longer bursts and had a slightly thicker strand similar to that on my 72 Grand Slam. On the new paint it 'melted' in slightly and adhered well. If too far away some strings will not adhere and fall off. Sticks better if cab is not fully cured and surface is not cool. I very slightly overspayed and ended up with a great look.

When I decided to paint this cab, webbing was my greatest concern. I envisioned attempt, fail, sand, paint again, try webbing again, repeat also didn't think my 3 gallon was going to cut it -- when it looked so good on the first shot I nearly ----.

I just need to fig a better less messy way to get the spray paint into the gun's reservoir.

Cheers

-- Tom

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-splatter-paint-im-happy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.