6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

Have a Spirit of 76 which I bought last October. Was playing just fine, until recently out of nowhere, the bonus stopped working entirely.

Ball will drop through the "A, B, C" lanes etc. and light up the rollovers just fine, but when rollovers are engaged the score motor spins but that's it. No score is added and the bonus value does not step up.

I've only been in this great hobby since May 2017 but I have 9 machines so far, none of which worked when I got them. All work now except the last two which I just bought in January 2018, and now this bonus issue on Spirit. I'm fairly good at fixing things, both SS and EM but I cannot figure this out. I don't have a schematic, nor would it really help me much anyway I don't know how to read them.

Could someone give me a nudge in the right direction?

Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

A schematic is pretty crucial, not only so we can help you, but also so you can learn to read one. So, order one from PBR, get it scanned at Staples ($2), post, and read this in the meantime: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#schematic

#4 6 years ago

Check the hold switch I THINK it's the D relay. (500 point and add bonus)

There should be a switch on that relay that's connected to the coil itself that locks it on. It sounds like it's engaging long enough to start the motor, (just enough to move it past the home position) but it's not locking on so it can complete it's job.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from KingofKoopas:

Check the hold switch I THINK it's the D relay. (500 point and add bonus)
There should be a switch on that relay that's connected to the coil itself that locks it on. It sounds like it's engaging long enough to start the motor, (just enough to move it past the home position) but it's not locking on so it can complete it's job.

Mostly agreed. What's the D relay doing when this happens?

2 weeks later
#6 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Mostly agreed. What's the D relay doing when this happens?

Sorry guys, got distracted by a sharp shooter rebuild I did as a gift for my brother. I'm back though and I checked the D relay.

The D relay pulls in and holds until the motor stops spinning, but there is no score, no bonus advance and no chime.

Something else I noticed. If I manually add bonus and then ball drain, the bonus does count down correctly, but no score and no chime. Also, if I turn the game off before game over after manually adding bonus, the bonus does clear on the start of a new game. Drop targets do nothing for bonus either.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Chisel:

The D relay pulls in and holds until the motor stops spinning, but there is no score, no bonus advance and no chime.
Something else I noticed. If I manually add bonus and then ball drain, the bonus does count down correctly, but no score and no chime.

Check these 2 circuits, especially the indicated switch on the motor.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Check these 2 circuits, especially the indicated switch on the motor.

HowardR you were spot on! I examined that switch and it appeared good although dirty. Cleaned it up and we're back in business! Man, I gotta learn to read the schematics. I can follow SS schematics pretty good, but the EM's are tougher for me.

Was so glad to get her back I played a full 4 player game by myself!

Thank you so much!!!

#9 6 years ago

Here is some good reading on schematics: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#schematic

Please check this as "resolved."

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-spirit-of-76-not-advancing-or-scoring-bonus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.