D04E61A8-AA03-48AD-BE2A-337B2437E5C5 (resized).jpeg
A58EE782-D37F-4424-BD62-2829F054FB4A (resized).jpeg
B00DF396-FBFF-414D-B272-96046EB5540F (resized).jpeg
B7BB98F8-3C82-4242-B0C4-165DC916C442 (resized).jpeg
F5F44DBC-F70B-4127-BA9B-4E6A210071BB (resized).jpeg
1590DA6B-83F0-44FA-B3BB-8AFB22901B85 (resized).jpeg
16C590EA-B79D-4910-84F0-BBEDD78FACDE (resized).jpeg
79F788EE-AEA4-44B0-99FD-84768B67CAF8 (resized).jpeg
There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 3 years ago

It seems like when the P relay is energized, it's not keeping the score motor running...

After the first ball goes into the outhole and then kicks over to the shooter lane to start ball 2, take a look at score motor switch 2B - maroon/green wire and slate wire. Is score motor switch 2B closed? If yes, go to the P relay and manually close the switch with the blue/white wire and the maroon/green wire. Use a non-metal probe/stick to close just that one switch. When you close that switch does the coil lock on and remain energized?

Also, do the same test on the P relay switch with yellow/red wire and red/white wire. Manually close the switch. When you close that switch, does the score motor start to run?

#152 3 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

After the first ball goes into the outhole and then kicks over to the shooter lane to start ball 2, take a look at score motor switch 2B - maroon/green wire and slate wire. Is score motor switch 2B closed? If yes, go to the P relay and manually close the switch with the blue/white wire and the maroon/green wire. Use a non-metal probe/stick to close just that one switch. When you close that switch does the coil lock on and remain energized?

Yes, 2B is closed, When I manually close b/w - m/g wire on the P relay the coil energizes but only briefly. It's not locking on.

Also, do the same test on the P relay switch with yellow/red wire and red/white wire. Manually close the switch. When you close that switch, does the score motor start to run?

Yes it runs as long as the switch is closed.

#153 3 years ago

Saw this and thought had a resolution to the Ball In Play not switching over from Ball 1 but not the case. I scored over a 1000 points on the machine and it still remained on Ball 1.

#154 3 years ago

After the 1st ball is played and the ball kicks over to the shooter lane, ball 2 ready to shoot, and with score motor switch 2B closed, try the following tests:

Manually push in the P relay where all of the switches close/open/move at the same time. Quickly push in the relay and release. Does the P relay lock on and stay energized?

Connect one end of the jumper wire to score motor switch 2B - slate wire. Touch the other end of the jumper wire to the blue/white wire of the P relay coil. Does the P relay coil stay energized when the jumper wire is placed on the P relay coil wire lug?

Connect one end of the jumper wire to score motor switch 2B - maroon/green wire. Touch the other end of the jumper wire to the blue/white wire of the P relay coil. Does the P relay coil stay energized when the jumper wire is placed on the P relay coil wire lug?

Test with machine powered off:

Do you have a 9 volt battery? If so, power off the machine and place the 9 volt battery terminals on the wire lugs of the P relay coil. Does the coil stay energized when the battery is connected to the coil?

#155 3 years ago

After the 1st ball is played and the ball kicks over to the shooter lane, ball 2 ready to shoot, and with score motor switch 2B closed, try the following tests:

Manually push in the P relay where all of the switches close/open/move at the same time. Quickly push in the relay and release. Does the P relay lock on and stay energized?

No

Connect one end of the jumper wire to score motor switch 2B - slate wire. Touch the other end of the jumper wire to the blue/white wire of the P relay coil. Does the P relay coil stay energized when the jumper wire is placed on the P relay coil wire lug?

Yes but no - the score motor continues to run and the drop targets continue to reset. The relay energizes real quick, like previously, releases and then energizes again. This continues as long as I hold the jumper to the P relay.

Connect one end of the jumper wire to score motor switch 2B - maroon/green wire. Touch the other end of the jumper wire to the blue/white wire of the P relay coil. Does the P relay coil stay energized when the jumper wire is placed on the P relay coil wire lug?

Yes but no - the score motor continues to run and the drop targets continue to reset. The relay energizes real quick, like previously, releases and then energizes again. This continues as long as I hold the jumper to the P relay.

Test with machine powered off:

Do you have a 9 volt battery? If so, power off the machine and place the 9 volt battery terminals on the wire lugs of the P relay coil. Does the coil stay energized when the battery is connected to the coil?

It doesn't draw the armature in but I can hear the coil trying too. There's a A-9735 installed (I have a spare A-9738).

#156 3 years ago

Wanted to confirm on this question:

"Manually push in the P relay where all of the switches close/open/move at the same time (score motor switch 2B closed). Quickly push in the relay and release. Does the P relay lock on and stay energized?"

You said, No?

The test where you connected the jumper wire to score motor 2B - slate wire - has constant power with only anti-cheat switches between switch 2B and the transformer. So, the other end of the jumper wire would be a "live" wire with constant power and touching it to a positive coil lug would energize and lock on the coil keeping it energized.

Could the P relay coil be shorting out or have some type of issue???

Do you have a multimeter? You could test the resistance of the coil. Resistance on the A-9735 would be around 15 ohms. I would test the resistance of the coil with the wires connected and then again with wires disconnected. Do you have a basic soldering set?

The A-9738 coil is a hold relay coil and has a higher resistance of around 30 ohms. It might work as temporary testing coil...

#157 3 years ago

Do you have a multimeter? You could test the resistance of the coil. Resistance on the A-9735 would be around 15 ohms. I would test the resistance of the coil with the wires connected and then again with wires disconnected. Do you have a basic soldering set?
The A-9738 coil is a hold relay coil and has a higher resistance of around 30 ohms. It might work as temporary testing coil...

15.3 ohms with unwired
15.6 ohms wired

#158 3 years ago

I would do the test with the jumper wire one more time. One end of the jumper wire to score motor switch 2B - slate wire, and place the other end of the jumper wire to the P relay coil with the blue/white wire. The coil should be constantly energized when you place the wire on the P relay wire lug. If the coil energizes and then de-energizes, on and off for different lengths of time, then check the anti-cheat switches.

Anti-cheat switch - slate wire and red/white wire
Bounce switch - red/green wire and red/white wire

Make sure these switches are thoroughly clean and tightly closed.

Along the way, any relays and switches you are checking, make sure the switch stack screws are tight.

Do the same test with the jumper wire again, but this time block the P relay switch - blue/white wire and maroon/green wire with a thick piece of paper, business card, etc. Place the other end of the jumper wire on the P relay coil wire lug and see if the coil will energize, lock on and stay energized.

If there's still intermittent power to the P relay coil when using the jumper wire, then you can replace the coil and use the A-9738 coil for testing...

#159 3 years ago

Some video so you can see what I am doing

"Manually push in the P relay where all of the switches close/open/move at the same time (score motor switch 2B closed). Quickly push in the relay and release. Does the P relay lock on and stay energized?"

You said, No?

The test where you connected the jumper wire to score motor 2B - slate wire - has constant power with only anti-cheat switches between switch 2B and the transformer. So, the other end of the jumper wire would be a "live" wire with constant power and touching it to a positive coil lug would energize and lock on the coil keeping it energized.

Here's a video showing 2B slate wire to the b/w on the P relay

#160 3 years ago

If there's still intermittent power to the P relay coil when using the jumper wire, then you can replace the coil and use the A-9738 coil for testing...

Whilst I had the A9735 de-soldered to test it for resistance I put the A9738 in and had the same results so it's not the coil.

I will check on the other stuff, you advised, in a little.

#161 3 years ago

It looks like from the video the P relay coil does constantly energize when using the jumper wire from the 2B switch...

Researching this, another issue may be with the coin unit. If the alignment of the coin unit wipers is off, this can prevent the game ball from advancing. Manually operate the coin unit by advancing and resetting it. Check the wipers on the coin unit to see if they are aligned properly with the contact rivets. Check the leaf switches on the coin unit to see if they open and close properly.

#162 3 years ago

Researching this, another issue may be with the coin unit. If the alignment of the coin unit wipers is off, this can prevent the game ball from advancing. Manually operate the coin unit by advancing and resetting it. Check the wipers on the coin unit to see if they are aligned properly with the contact rivets. Check the leaf switches on the coin unit to see if they open and close properly.

I had previously cleaned the contact rivets and wipers. The wipers stop in the middle of the rivets so it's aligned.

I just don't know what I am missing here!

I keep waiting for you to toss in the towel and change your user name

#163 3 years ago

I'm not giving up yet... I'll research more this evening and post more info tonight... Thanks...

#164 3 years ago

I would do the test with the jumper wire one more time. One end of the jumper wire to score motor switch 2B - slate wire, and place the other end of the jumper wire to the P relay coil with the blue/white wire. The coil should be constantly energized when you place the wire on the P relay wire lug. If the coil energizes and then de-energizes, on and off for different lengths of time, then check the anti-cheat switches.

Okay apologies, P is staying energized! Score motor continues to run and banks resetting.

then check the anti-cheat switches.

Anti-cheat switch - slate wire and red/white wire

On the 2B switch correct?

Do the same test with the jumper wire again, but this time block the P relay switch - blue/white wire and maroon/green wire with a thick piece of paper, business card, etc. Place the other end of the jumper wire on the P relay coil wire lug and see if the coil will energize, lock on and stay energized.

Put the thick piece of paper between the blue/white wire and maroon/green wire and jumper from the slate 2B to b/w wire and coil stays energized.

As previously stated, no change!

#165 3 years ago

We'll need to take a look again at the circuit that contains the P relay. This circuit shares switches with the primary start circuit. It seems the machine initially resets properly. To confirm, when you press the start button once, the machine resets, score reels reset (some need manual reset), the ball kicks to the shooter lane, and the backglass lamps show a 1 player game on ball 1.

After the machine resets and after the 1st ball enters the outhole, the machine uses another circuit to process the changing of the players and the ball in play count. From the operating instructions:

"The remaining balls that enter the outhole (starting with the game play end of ball 1) are kicked across the trough switch (through switch) which pulls in P relay. P relay runs the score motor. Switches on U relay, score motor 2C, P relay, BX relay and score motor 1A advances the player unit the required number of steps determined by the player unit switches and the coin unit."

So, we should start to closely examine these switches in the circuit:

Score motor 1A switch - blue/white/red wire and white/slate wire - normally open switch
This switch is also used by the main starting circuit; confirm it is clean and adjusted properly; with machine powered off, manually rotate the score motor to see if the switch opens and closes correctly

BX relay switch - white/slate wire and yellow wire - normally closed switch
Last ball switch; confirm the switch is clean and closed

P relay switch - yellow wire and yellow/blue wire - normally open switch
Player relay switch; confirm switch is clean and adjusted properly;

Score motor 2C switch - yellow/blue wire and white/blue wire - normally open switch
Confirm switch is clean and adjusted properly; with machine powered off, manually rotate the score motor to see if the switch opens and closes correctly

U relay switch - white/blue wire and slate/yellow wire - normally open switch
1st ball switch; confirm switch is clean and adjusted properly; switch needs to close when score motor is running

I relay switch - slate/yellow wire and red/white wire - normally closed
Extra ball switch; main gateway switch that supplies power to the circuit; only opens when extra ball is activated; confirm switch is clean and adjusted properly

Then check the following:

I relay switch - Is there 25 volt power at the switch lug with the slate/yellow wire? Check the voltage at the switch with a multimeter.

U relay switch - Is the switch closing before or during the ball advance to send power to the next switch? After the 1st ball ends and the 2nd ball is kicked to the shooter lane, a jumper wire could be used on the switch to bypass the switch; jumper at the white/blue wire and the slate/yellow wire; manually close the switch to see if there is power on both sides of the switch using a multimeter.

Score motor switch 2C - Is the switch closing during the change between game balls?

P relay switch - Is the switch closing and receiving power from switch 2C?

BX relay switch - Is the switch closed when the score motor is running and during the change between game balls?

Score motor 1A - Is the switch closing during the change between game balls?

#166 3 years ago

We'll need to take a look again at the circuit that contains the P relay. This circuit shares switches with the primary start circuit. It seems the machine initially resets properly. To confirm, when you press the start button once, the machine resets, score reels reset (some need manual reset), the ball kicks to the shooter lane, and the backglass lamps show a 1 player game on ball 1.

After the machine resets and after the 1st ball enters the outhole, the machine uses another circuit to process the changing of the players and the ball in play count. From the operating instructions:

"The remaining balls that enter the outhole (starting with the game play end of ball 1) are kicked across the trough switch (through switch) which pulls in P relay. P relay runs the score motor. Switches on U relay, score motor 2C, P relay, BX relay and score motor 1A advances the player unit the required number of steps determined by the player unit switches and the coin unit."

Score motor 1A switch - blue/white/red wire and white/slate wire - normally open switch
This switch is also used by the main starting circuit; confirm it is clean and adjusted properly; with machine powered off, manually rotate the score motor to see if the switch opens and closes correctly

Score motor 2C switch - yellow/blue wire and white/blue wire - normally open switch
Confirm switch is clean and adjusted properly; with machine powered off, manually rotate the score motor to see if the switch opens and closes correctly

1st ball switch; confirm switch is clean and adjusted properly; switch needs to close when score motor is running

Extra ball switch; main gateway switch that supplies power to the circuit; only opens when extra ball is activated; confirm switch is clean and adjusted properly

All checked and clean. U relay was close so I adjusted it t make certain the gap was in fact good. At this point turned the game back on just to test if anything changed to no avail.

I relay switch - Is there 25 volt power at the switch lug with the slate/yellow wire? Check the voltage at the switch with a multimeter.

Help me out here as I am by no means proficient with a meter. I know to put it on V and set it to AC. When I test the socket inside the machine I et 120v. But when I take the meter and touch to the slate/yellow wire lug am I to touch the negative to ground?

U relay switch - Is the switch closing before or during the ball advance to send power to the next switch? After the 1st ball ends and the 2nd ball is kicked to the shooter lane, a jumper wire could be used on the switch to bypass the switch; jumper at the white/blue wire and the slate/yellow wire; manually close the switch to see if there is power on both sides of the switch using a multimeter.

U is constantly energized. If I add the jumper to white/blue wire and the slate/yellow it's having no impact.

core motor switch 2C - Is the switch closing during the change between game balls?

Picture is of the 2C switch bank
423A782A-9EF6-4503-B92F-23CC50CCECD4 (resized).jpeg423A782A-9EF6-4503-B92F-23CC50CCECD4 (resized).jpeg

I am only seeing the P relay closing when I activate the switch in the ball through.

BX relay switch - Is the switch closed when the score motor is running and during the change between game balls?

No

Then check the following:
Score motor switch 2C - Is the switch closing during the change between game balls?
Score motor 1A - Is the switch closing during the change between game balls?

Yes

#167 3 years ago

You'll want to test if power is getting to the circuit starting at the I relay switch with the slate/yellow wire. Set your multimeter to AC voltage (V~) and choose the 200 volt AC setting. Place the red lead on the slate/yellow wire lug and the black lead on a machine ground - the black wire at the transformer or a black wire at a coil. The multimeter should read approximately 25 AC volts. Then place the red lead on the U relay switch with the slate/yellow wire. Check for 25 volts. With the switch closed, put the red lead on the U relay switch with the white/blue wire. You can check any of the switches using this method if you close the switch in question. From your description, you should see power up to score motor switch 2C with the blue/white wire, since 2C is a normally open switch.

In order for the player unit solenoid (coil) to be energized after the 1st ball enters the outhole, the following switches need to be closed all at the same time:

I switch - U switch - 2C switch - P switch - BX switch - 1A switch

The issue is that the process happens using 1/10ths of a second, so it's difficult to see all the switches closing at the correct time. So, it's all a timing situation when relay switches and switches on the score motor all close at one point in time.

When the 1st ball enters the outhole, it will be kicked over the trough switch (through switch), which will energized the P relay coil. A switch on the P relay will make the score motor run, in turn, will make the score motor switches 1A and 2C close. If there is power at the 2C switch, when it closes, it will send power through the P relay switch, BX relay switch and the 1A score motor switch. So, you would want to check if score motor 2C switch is "armed" with power before the trough switch is closed.

You noted that BX relay switch with the yellow wire and white/slate wire was open when the score motor was running between ball 1 and ball 2. This BX switch needs to be closed during the end of ball 1 and the start of ball 2. If the switch is open during this process, then the switch will need to be closed in someway for testing purposes. You could adjust the switch so it's always closed, disable the BX relay by blocking an O relay switch, so it won't open the BX switch, or temporarily disconnect the power wire from the BX relay coil. BX relay coil is part of an "inter-lock" relay (BX coil and BXR coil). So, try to get that BX switch closed and then see what happens when ball 1 enters the outhole and kicks over to the shooter lane to begin ball 2.

#168 3 years ago

Starting to look at your last post but wanted to note....if I play the first ball and close BX switch, the 10 lit up on the Match and when the ball drained the game ended. Make sense?

#169 3 years ago

You'll want to test if power is getting to the circuit starting at the I relay switch with the slate/yellow wire. Set your multimeter to AC voltage (V~) and choose the 200 volt AC setting

Thanks for the education but the meter, cheap one, I have allows me to select (V~) > AC but not the 200 volts. It reflect AUTO on the display screen.

Place the red lead on the slate/yellow wire lug and the black lead on a machine ground - the black wire at the transformer or a black wire at a coil. The multimeter should read approximately 25 AC volts.

So unless I'm doing it wrong I am only getting little over 9v on the I relay slate/yellow and on the U relay switch with the white/blue wire.

By no means am I a tech of any sorts but I have cleaned, refurbished and fixed over 75 machines with a third being EM and never have run into this. Guess I have been lucky where switched were just out of wack or fuses were blown.

#170 3 years ago

If you're just closing the one BX switch - white/slate wire and yellow wire - it should not end the game. It might be related to a jumper wire on the relay.

When that BX relay switch is closed, and after ball 1 enters the outhole, and the trough switch is closed , does it energize the player unit coil?

Power off the machine and then power on the machine. Reset the machine so ball 1 kicks to the shooter lane to begin the game. Then power off the machine. Look at the BX relay switch with the white/slate wire and yellow wire. Is that switch open or closed?

Also, take a look at the 3-5 ball adjustment plug. Is the plug inserted in the 3 ball game or 5 ball game receptacle? Is the plug fully seated? Check all the wire connections on the plug assembly.

#171 3 years ago

Check the voltage of the machine right from the transformer. Using your multimeter, place the red lead on the transformer lug with the red wire, and the black lead on the lug with the black wire. Read the voltage. Then place the red lead on the fuse block - first on the wire lug with the red wire, and then on the wire lug with the red/green wire. What voltage readings do you get?

#172 3 years ago

Check the voltage of the machine right from the transformer. Using your multimeter, place the red lead on the transformer lug with the red wire, and the black lead on the lug with the black wire. Read the voltage.

Then place the red lead on the fuse block - first on the wire lug with the red wire,

and then on the wire lug with the red/green wire. What voltage readings do you get?

#173 3 years ago

Power off the machine and then power on the machine. Reset the machine so ball 1 kicks to the shooter lane to begin the game. Then power off the machine. Look at the BX relay switch with the white/slate wire and yellow wire. Is that switch open or closed?

Closed

Also, take a look at the 3-5 ball adjustment plug. Is the plug inserted in the 3 ball game or 5 ball game receptacle? Is the plug fully seated? Check all the wire connections on the plug assembly.

Took the Adj Plug, cleaned the receptacle as well as the Jones plug.

When that BX relay switch is closed, and after ball 1 enters the outhole, and the trough switch is closed , does it energize the player unit coil?

No, Player Unit stepper does but not the coil.

I will say that the BX armatures are snapping into place. Will try to adjust this but before I do will wait to see what you post as I don't want to make more of a mess.

#174 3 years ago

You can continue checking the voltage up the circuit. Check the voltage on the following:

With Bounce Switch Closed:
Bounce switch - red/green wire
Bounce switch - red/white wire
With I Switch Closed:
I switch - red/white wire
I switch - slate/yellow wire

I'm not sure what you meant about the movement of the player unit:

Quoted from meSz:

No, Player Unit stepper does but not the coil.

The player unit only rotates in one direction and it is "powered" by one coil (solenoid). The coil needs to be energized in order for the player unit disc to rotate.

The BX and BXR latch relay(s) hold the switches in two different positions. A normally closed switch will be closed when the BX relay is in its resting position. When the BX coil is briefly energized, it will move the latch to a second position and the normally closed switch will then open and be held in the open position without the help of the BX coil. When the BXR coil is energized it will return the latch to the 1st position returning the switch to the closed position.

The BX relay is the last ball relay. The BX relay coil receives power from the player unit. Take a look at the player unit and manually rotate it by pushing the solenoid plunger. Does it rotate smoothly and click into each position? Check the wipers and contact rivets. The player unit can swing downward so you can see the five switch stacks operating. Inspect the switch stacks and switches. Check if the Allen screws on the hub of the disc are tight.

#175 3 years ago

I'm not sure what you meant about the movement of the player unit:

The player unit only rotates in one direction and it is "powered" by one coil (solenoid). The coil needs to be energized in order for the player unit disc to rotate.

Well I learned a golden rule.....don't ask the wife to watch the Player Unit coil while I reset the game and step it through. Long story short, when the ball 2 kicks out to the shooter lane the Player unit coil is not energizing. It does energize at the beginning of the game upon hitting the start button.

#176 3 years ago

You can continue checking the voltage up the circuit. Check the voltage on the following:

With Bounce Switch Closed:
Bounce switch - red/green wire
Bounce switch - red/white wire
With I Switch Closed:

Bounce switch - red/green wire - 29.66
Bounce switch - red/white wire - 29.55
With I Switch Closed:
I switch - red/white wire - 4.26
I switch - slate/yellow wire - 4.27

(Having the black lead attached to the lug on the power supply where the black wires are attached)

#177 3 years ago

If your multimeter readings are correct, there are some issues with the power delivery to the I relay switch. Looking at the schematic, there are no switches between the bounce switch and the I relay switch. So, if you're reading 29.55 volts at the output of the bounce switch, there should be a reading of around 29 volts at the input of the I relay switch. I'm guessing 4.26 volts would not be enough voltage to fully energize a stepper unit solenoid. Is there damage to the red/white wire in that part of the circuit???

You can use a jumper wire to get the 29 volt power to the I relay switch. Connect one end of the jumper wire to the bounce switch with the red/white wire and connect the other end of the jumper wire to the I relay switch with the red/white wire. Then, with the jumper wire connected, take two voltage readings at the I relay switch:

With I Switch Closed:

At both sides of the I relay switch, you "should" get a voltage reading of approximately 29 volts, or you'll get something like 35 volts, which would mean there is "bleeding" voltage present in the circuit.

You should also check if you're getting low voltage in any other branch circuits. Check the voltage on the AX relay switches with the red/white wires. What are the voltage readings at these AX relay switches?

#178 3 years ago

If your multimeter readings are correct, there are some issues with the power delivery to the I relay switch. Looking at the schematic, there are no switches between the bounce switch and the I relay switch. So, if you're reading 29.55 volts at the output of the bounce switch, there should be a reading of around 29 volts at the input of the I relay switch. I'm guessing 4.26 volts would not be enough voltage to fully energize a stepper unit solenoid. Is there damage to the red/white wire in that part of the circuit???

Oh so you're questioning my superior DMM skills now?

(for the record I went back again and tested. Starting with the bounce switch red/white wire. Still had 29.5v and the two wires on the I relay were below 5v)

You can use a jumper wire to get the 29 volt power to the I relay switch. Connect one end of the jumper wire to the bounce switch with the red/white wire and connect the other end of the jumper wire to the I relay switch with the red/white wire. Then, with the jumper wire connected, take two voltage readings at the I relay switch:

With I Switch Closed:

At both sides of the I relay switch, you "should" get a voltage reading of approximately 29 volts, or you'll get something like 35 volts, which would mean there is "bleeding" voltage present in the circuit.

With the jumper I am getting 29.44 r/w and 29.40 s/y

You should also check if you're getting low voltage in any other branch circuits. Check the voltage on the AX relay switches with the red/white wires. What are the voltage readings at these AX relay switches?

red/white on AX 29.40v

#179 3 years ago

With the jumper wire installed, the voltages look near normal... I'm thinking there is a short in the circuit somewhere on the red/white wire.

With the jumper wire installed between the bounce switch and the I relay switch, power off the machine and then power it on. Reset the machine and start a game, and see what happens when the 1st ball enters the outhole.

#180 3 years ago

With the jumper wire installed, the voltages look near normal... I'm thinking there is a short in the circuit somewhere on the red/white wire.
With the jumper wire installed between the bounce switch and the I relay switch, power off the machine and then power it on. Reset the machine and start a game, and see what happens when the 1st ball enters the outhole.

We have a WINNER! So it is the red/white wire going to the I relay. With the jumper on I was able to play a game. As the ball drained the Ball In Play switched as it should. Now to find out where the short is!

Big thanks as finally feel good about this. Will look into finding the short this weekend!

#181 3 years ago

That was definitely a strange issue. You usually don't see a short in a straight wire without switches. It will be interesting to find out where the short is located.

So, it looks like the switches were operating normally, but the circuit had very low voltage, which wasn't enough voltage to energize the player unit advance solenoid.

To get some clues, test the voltage at the AX relay switches with the jumper wire installed on the bounce switch/I relay switch, and test the AX relay switches again without the jumper wire installed. This might tell you if the short is in a main circuit or a branch circuit.

#182 3 years ago

To get some clues, test the voltage at the AX relay switches with the jumper wire installed on the bounce switch/I relay switch, and test the AX relay switches again without the jumper wire installed. This might tell you if the short is in a main circuit or a branch circuit.

So should all switches at the AX have around the 29v? Apologies, just trying to vision the to do here and not certain.

#183 3 years ago

You should get approximately the same voltage at the AX relay switches compared to the voltage at the transformer. In this case, it would be around 29 volts. I'm wondering if the jumper wire at the I relay switch would affect the voltage at the AX relay switches. The schematic shows that a main circuit supplies power to the AX relay switches. There is a branch circuit that goes to the I relay switch before power reaches the AX relay switches.

Note: A couple of the switches on the AX relay handle 6 volt power for the lamps.

#184 3 years ago

You should get approximately the same voltage at the AX relay switches compared to the voltage at the transformer. In this case, it would be around 29 volts. I'm wondering if the jumper wire at the I relay switch would affect the voltage at the AX relay switches. The schematic shows that a main circuit supplies power to the AX relay switches. There is a branch circuit that goes to the I relay switch before power reaches the AX relay switches.
Note: A couple of the switches on the AX relay handle 6 volt power for the lamps.

Okay gotcha I was missing the part about jumper from bounce to I and then check the AX switches. Then take jumper off and see if get the same readings. Now I re-read your post it's apparent.

Let me ask this, since we know the red/white from the bounce to the I is troublesome I wanted to just visually check the wire for any issues but it's hard as hell to follow due to being bundled with the other wires. Am I correct in assuming that both red/white wires coming off the bounce should travel from the bounce to the back of the cabinet straight to the Jones Plug receptacle? You said it's a straight wire so I am assuming that the only "break" in the wire should be at the Jones Plug?

#185 3 years ago

Yes, if the bounce switch and the I relay are located in different "areas" of the machine - ie bounce switch in main cabinet and I relay switch in the back box - then the wire between the two would need to go through a Jones plug. So, you're right in this example, the wire would break, but the Jones plug would permanently restore the connection.

On a side note, the wiring harness on your machine is bundled using zip ties near the U relay. Gottlieb did not use zip ties on this machine when it was made. Maybe there was an attempted wiring repair done previously on the machine.

#186 3 years ago

Yes, if the bounce switch and the I relay are located in different "areas" of the machine - ie bounce switch in main cabinet and I relay switch in the back box - then the wire between the two would need to go through a Jones plug. So, you're right in this example, the wire would break, but the Jones plug would permanently restore the connection.

Yeah the bounce switch is on the board at the bottom of the cabinet. The I relay is on the underside of the playfield.

On a side note, the wiring harness on your machine is bundled using zip ties near the U relay. Gottlieb did not use zip ties on this machine when it was made. Maybe there was an attempted wiring repair done previously on the machine.

The wiring harness is mostly bundled with twine. The zip ties are a result of me just cleaning things up a bit due to the twine was broken off.

#187 3 years ago

I'd check the playfield Jones plug assembly to see if it might be shorting at the plug. Take a voltage reading on both sides of the Jones plug assembly... You can also unplug the playfield Jones plug and do a continuity test with a multimeter. Test the red/white wire between the bounce switch and the Jones plug. Then test the red/white wire between the Jones plug and the I relay switch. This should tell you what side of the Jones plug the short is on - in the main cabinet, on the underside of the playfield, or in the wiring harness running through the cabinet pedestal.

#188 3 years ago

So some new info for ya .... I followed the red/white wire from I relay. It doesn't go down to the board in the bottom of the cabinet, it is a straight wire from the switch on the I relay but it ends at the Jones Plug, 8 prong, that goes to the back box.
D0593A2A-BF85-48BC-A47E-5826DD404F11 (resized).jpegD0593A2A-BF85-48BC-A47E-5826DD404F11 (resized).jpeg
As you can see from the picture the red/white wire goes into the Jones Plug and changes to a green/orange wire. Now go back to post #54-56 cause that green orange wire is not attached to anything???

Also, I started to trace the red/white wires on the bounce switch that's on the board in the bottom of the cabinet and the one r/w wire, there's two of them, goes from the bounce switch to the Tilt Hold relay (H) and then to the 4B switch on the motor.

Second r/w wire goes from bounce switch to Hold Relay (R) and then goes to the 10 prong Jones Plug in the back box. At the receptacle of the 10 prong Jones Plug it then turns into a (I believe) brown/white wire. There are two b/w wires that come off the receptacle, one goes up to M relay and continues onto the N relay. The second b/w wire, this one was a little hard to follow so don't quote me on this one, goes to the 5th CAM (black one) on the Player Unit.
9CB5C806-92D1-446C-9317-1731FA29BC43 (resized).jpeg9CB5C806-92D1-446C-9317-1731FA29BC43 (resized).jpeg

#189 3 years ago

So I started to look for all the red/white wires to test which were getting around the 29v:

Bounce switch on coin door
Bounce switch on board in bottom of cabinet
All of the ones on the motor (1, 2, 3, and 4 switch stack)
Relays H, O W and W relays
Also tested N and M relays even though these have the brown/with wires on the switches the b/w switch goes to the r/w switch at the 10 prong Jones Plug.
All the above have 29v

The I relay r/w wire as well as the r/w wire at the 8 prong Jones Plug doesn't have 29v which makes sense as the r/w wire, as stated above, goes to the 8 prong receptacle in the back box and that green/orange wire doesn't go anywhere.

What I don't get is the switch on the Player Unit with the brown/white wire does not have 29v even though I have 29 v coming off of the receptacle. This is why I believe I may not have the correct wire. As stated above this wire was really hard to follow so I will try to go back and follow it.

Posting schematics: (Click on and then blow up)
3D8A77DA-1A0F-4A52-801F-3620436C5390 (resized).jpeg3D8A77DA-1A0F-4A52-801F-3620436C5390 (resized).jpeg1CE0DCCA-21C5-4BDF-864F-D732D875D54B (resized).jpeg1CE0DCCA-21C5-4BDF-864F-D732D875D54B (resized).jpeg

One thing I just noticed on these schematics is there's notes and such but what I didn't notice before is the fact that the note at the bottom of the schematics state " REVISED ADD COILS FOR PROD. 11-14-75". So starting to wonder if this game was an Engineer or a very early sample machine. Any way to tell on these older games?

#190 3 years ago

There are various branch circuits in the machine that use a red/white wire. These branch circuits are connected to the main circuit, which also uses a red/white wire.

You want to determine you're working with the correct red/white wire. Looking at the schematic, with the machine powered off, you should be able to do a continuity test on the red/white wire that goes from the I relay switch to the Jones plug in the backbox.

Gottlieb did use, on rare occasions, wires colors that were different than the wire colors listed on the schematic. But, it's still strange that the Jones plug has a red/white wire and connects with a green/orange wire. So, is this a short circuit issue, or is it a connection issue where the other part of the red/white wire is not connected to the Jones plug assembly??? At one point did someone install the green/orange wire on the Jones plug connector and wanted to connect the other end to a newly added F relay? Then a red/white wire would lead back from the F relay to a Jones plug? Maybe some type of wiring experiment at the factory???

You can test the circuit again by connecting a jumper wire to the green/orange wire on the Jones plug lug and the other end of the Jumper wire to the bounce switch with the red/white wire. Then start a game and see if it plays normally.

Yeah, I saw that writing on the schematic. Some other clues are that some of the wiring is arranged in an unusual way (not factory), the type of F relay used in the machine, and the internals of the machine look like new, as if it was never on a vending route and wasn't played that much. Like you said, could this be a pre-production machine? Where did you buy the machine? Did the previous owner have any information about the machine? Is the serial number on the machine still visible? You can check the IPSND for more information about serial numbers:

http://ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=2293

#191 3 years ago

There are various branch circuits in the machine that use a red/white wire. These branch circuits are connected to the main circuit, which also uses a red/white wire.

You want to determine you're working with the correct red/white wire. Looking at the schematic, with the machine powered off, you should be able to do a continuity test on the red/white wire that goes from the I relay switch to the Jones plug in the backbox.

So the info I posted about tracing the wires is confirmed with doing continuity test.

Gottlieb did use, on rare occasions, wires colors that were different than the wire colors listed on the schematic. But, it's still strange that the Jones plug has a red/white wire and connects with a green/orange wire. So, is this a short circuit issue, or is it a connection issue where the other part of the red/white wire is not connected to the Jones plug assembly???

I did a continuity check from the r/w wire on the I relay to the end of the green/orange wire and have continuity all the way. Remember that the g/o wire is not connected so this not completing a circuit.

At one point did someone install the green/orange wire on the Jones plug connector and wanted to connect the other end to a newly added F relay?

It certainly appears this is the case. More on this below.

Then a red/white wire would lead back from the F relay to a Jones plug? Maybe some type of wiring experiment at the factory???

There's no r/w wire leading back from the F relay.

You can test the circuit again by connecting a jumper wire to the green/orange wire on the Jones plug lug and the other end of the Jumper wire to the bounce switch with the red/white wire. Then start a game and see if it plays normally.

I will try this later today, too early at the time to power up the machine.

Yeah, I saw that writing on the schematic. Some other clues are that some of the wiring is arranged in an unusual way (not factory), the type of F relay used in the machine, and the internals of the machine look like new, as if it was never on a vending route and wasn't played that much. Like you said, could this be a pre-production machine?

Agree with everything you state.

Where did you buy the machine? Did the previous owner have any information about the machine? Is the serial number on the machine still visible? You can check the IPSND for more information about serial numbers:

http://ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=2293

Machine is not mine but a local guy near me. I took it on as a "simple project" . He purchased it from a party he bought the house from. They didn't want to take it with them.

As for the serial number, looking at IPSND I see most serial numbers are stamped into the top of the cross beam wood that's directly behind the coin door. On this machine there's a piece of card stock that advises (short version) "the push button at the bottom of the machine powers off the machine completely". But, on the backside of the wooden cross beam there's something stamped that I can't make out.
866B335B-BD5C-4E59-9860-C014A8D455FB (resized).jpeg866B335B-BD5C-4E59-9860-C014A8D455FB (resized).jpeg
Also, on the floor of the back box there's another stamp that reads (I believe) “LIGHT BOX D 10824” ...
9B124909-498C-4EB8-A63E-258C25BE5DB6 (resized).jpeg9B124909-498C-4EB8-A63E-258C25BE5DB6 (resized).jpeg

So now back to that F relay. As stated the red/white wire coming from the I relay goes into the 8 prong Jones Plug in the back box. From there it turns into the orange/green wire that goes over to the F relay but is not connected so the circuit at this point is not complete. Also, there's another wire (white/brown, more like tan) that comes off that same Jones Plug over to the F relay that's not connected. This white/brown wire is connected to the white/red wire that goes up to the 20 prong Jones Plug that feeds to the M, N relays and switches on the Score Reels.

So those two wires (orange/green and white/brown) both appear to be added on at the Jones Plug to go over to the F relay. At the F relay you can see, revert back to post 55 pic, that it appears these two wire were, at one time, soldered to the switch on the F relay.

#192 3 years ago

You can also check for a stamped serial number in the front of the exterior cabinet above the coin door frame, and a printed serial number at the top exterior of the backbox.

If the machine plays normally with a jumper wire between the I relay and the bounce switch, then maybe there is one missing wire that was removed from the machine for testing purposes. I'm not sure if you can recreate the "stock" wiring, because some of the wiring in the machine (color type) is not matching up with the schematic. And we're still not sure about the F relay that is used in the machine.

An example: From the I relay, the red/white wire travels to the backbox where it connects to a backbox Jones plug. It would continue traveling in the backbox to feed branch circuits. The red/white wire would then need to exit the backbox via a Jones plug. The red/white wire would then travel through the main cabinet and then connect to the bounce switch.

You confirmed that the red/white wire from the I relay goes to the 8 plug Jones plug in the backbox. And you said the red/white wire from the bounce switch go to the 10 plug Jones plug in the backbox. Both of the red/white wires at the Jones plugs are a mismatch with the connecting wires - red/white to brown/white (10 plug), and red/white to green/orange (8 plug). Would the machine work normally if you put a jumper wire on the backbox Jones plugs between the green/orange wire on one Jones plug socket to the brown/white wire on the other Jones plug socket? In post #54, you showed a photo of the backbox where the green/orange wire and brown/white wire did not connect to anything. Are these wires just left over from an engineering experiment???

#193 3 years ago

You can also check for a stamped serial number in the front of the exterior cabinet above the coin door frame, and a printed serial number at the top exterior of the backbox.

Yeah I checked all over the cabinet but nothing.

If the machine plays.....

So I went back and looked at that F relay and the two wires that weren't connected.... pulled out the jumpers and said (we're going to get technical here so try to stay with me ) the orange/green wires has more slack then the white/brown so let me jump the o/g to the further lug on the F relay switch and put the w/b to the closer lug and it works. Played a whole game with the the machine going through all 5 balls and ending appropriately. Not sure who or why these two wires were removed. Nor do I know why these two wires look as though they were just tossed into the machine (they're not bundled with any other wires and are just strung up in the back box).

So now I am going to solder these two wires into place and play a few games to make sure it's working/scoring appropriately as well as fine tune it a little.

Fred, can't thank ya enuff for hanging in there with me, been a long journey!
(Note: Don't forget I have you on retainer until this machine leaves my possession)

#194 3 years ago

I'm glad to hear you found the problem!... The simplest things are the hardest to fix... I think those "rogue" wires in the backbox complicated our troubleshooting methods... I hope you'll eventually find the serial number on the machine. It would be interesting to see if the machine is a sample game... Enjoy playing the machine! FS...

#195 3 years ago

I hope you'll eventually find the serial number on the machine. It would be interesting to see if the machine is a sample game...

So I found A.J.J. 210 stamped on the front of the playfield. The A.J.J. is what's stamped on the cross beam behind the coin box (above blurry picture). I put a post up to see if anyone has any insight to this "serial number" format.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-spirit-of-76-early-sample-machine-#post-6108777
Be interesting to see if anyone can advise as to the history of the machine.

#196 3 years ago

Closing this thread down now that machine is working! Thanks all, especially fredsmythson, for all the help!!!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#197 3 years ago

Maybe I spoke too soon .... the U relay is getting really hot! Is this common?

#198 3 years ago

Coils getting "too hot" is a common issue in Gottlieb machines. The U relay coil is a continuous duty relay coil and it will become weak and get hotter over time. First check if you have the correct coil in the U relay. Schematic shows a A-9740 coil. Other sources on the Web say it's an A-9736. Both will get hot. You can keep using the present coil, install a new coil, or modify the relay with a solid state coil, so it will run cooler.

Clay's Pin Repair Web site has a good section explaining continuous duty relays and how to modify the relay with a solid state coil:

"Modifying the Continuous Duty Relays for No Burn, as used in Ax/Bx Games"

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#reset

#199 3 years ago

Coils getting "too hot" is a common issue in Gottlieb machines. The U relay coil is a continuous duty relay coil and it will become weak and get hotter over time. First check if you have the correct coil in the U relay. Schematic shows a A-9740 coil. Other sources on the Web say it's an A-9736. Both will get hot. You can keep using the present coil, install a new coil, or modify the relay with a solid state coil, so it will run cooler.
Clay's Pin Repair Web site has a good section explaining continuous duty relays and how to modify the relay with a solid state coil:
"Modifying the Continuous Duty Relays for No Burn, as used in Ax/Bx Games"
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#reset

Brilliant! Just wanted to make certain this was the case. I actually installed a new A-9740 in the U relay as the existing one was toast.

Just want to give the machine back knowing I looked at everything and there's no hidden issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-spirit-of-76-/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.