(Topic ID: 159811)

Gottlieb Spin Pulse Relay Unit normal operation?

By Otaku

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mully911
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Hearts and Spades spin circuit (resized).jpg
doubleswitch (resized).jpg
Gottlieb Score Motor 3 (resized).jpg
2022-12-28_17-26-34 (resized).jpg
Spin A Card Add Spin Unit (resized).jpg
Spinner cam in pos 9 (resized).jpg
spinner cam indexed to pos 5 after spinner resets after cam release (resized).jpg
Spinner cam in pos 0  (resized).jpg
IMG_1409_(resized).JPG
IMG_1408_(resized).JPG
IMG_1407_(resized).JPG
noediting_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Otaku.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hi guys, I won't be stopping back at my games in NJ until two weeks from now, but I figured I'd get a headstart on this.

On my Spin Pulse Relay Unit, the plunger will pull in by hand but not release. If I'm not mistaken the "purpose" of this unit happens when the coil releases the plunger (not pulls it in, like pretty much every other unit ever; very neat invention by Gottlieb), but that shouldn't make a difference if it can't get to that in the first place.

Normal operation, from what I understand from looking at it and online:
-----

Pulls in: "Winds up" bakelite disc with notch on top

Releases: Releases bakelite disc with notch to strike rectangular spinner (like you'd see on a playfield), which then pulses the spin relay like intended until the capacitor in the bottom of the cabinet cuts off the connection for randomness, and of course it would also eventually stop spinning on it's own too

-----

However, when mine should release again it looks like it's getting stuck by having the arm hit a plate. I did force it by bending the metal by hand (flexing it, so it didn't stay like that, on purpose) and it seemed to work however before I bend it permanently I want to make sure this is what's wrong. I would imagine that plate that it's getting stuck on has some purpose, so I figured I should check first.

This is NOT a spring issue as I can't even force it back by hand even when not being "careful", as in, I put a lot of umph onto the plunger and it won't go back without me pushing down/bending on that plate down by hand. Let me emphasize that I mean actually like pushing on it hard to flex it, the plate doesn't mechanically move or anything like that. Coil & sleeve seem fine as it does come out and push back in fine after that. It looks like it was close enough previously to scrape the dirt and grime off previously but not get stuck. Is it possible for that to come out of adjustment? I bought it like this.

Here are some photos:

Plunger out, all good (forced back to this "starting" position):

state1_(resized).pngstate1_(resized).png

Plunger pulled in, will not release again:

state2_(resized).pngstate2_(resized).png

#2 7 years ago

Bottom picture with no editing, for even more clarity:

noediting_(resized).pngnoediting_(resized).png

#3 7 years ago

Bump.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Otaku.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-spin-pulse-relay-unit-normal-operation?tu=Otaku and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.