• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1410 (resized).JPG
IMG_1407 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_4896 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 7 years ago

Did you get the spin function to work? It's a little tricky to get it working just right. Lots of interplay between several components. All have to be dialed in, tweaked and then tweaked some more.

1 week later
#20 7 years ago
Quoted from larpo:

Vic
I forced all the cards to light and the special light at the return hole goes on and off but the light at the target does not. I replaced the lamp and cleaned the socket but still no light. What makes it alternate?
TimMe
What makes the ratchet work? How do I make the spin function work manually?
Different cards do light during play but usually only 2or3 cards.

Probably controlled by an alternating relay. The contact points on it may need cleaning and adjusting. All of the components of the spin feature could be functional, but if that pesky AS unit isn't working right, the cards won't light properly on the backglass. This is one of the most complicated arrangements on any single player Gottlieb. You really need to be an advanced pinball technician to get that whole deal working right. Same arrangement on "Flip a Card" and the two add-a-ball versions.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Regarding special alternation and very slightly the spin function as a whole (which is seperate):
The AS unit (referred to as the "B Relay" in this game, actually) is a small-sized spinning wiper unit, very tiny, that was designed to basically replace the large match units of the time (or perhaps they only "realized" it later on as this game still uses the large match unit and this change was not made until the early 70's) - it's a non-resetting spinning unit that will only spin one direction repeatedly.
It has two identical sides, each usually controls something different and one value of voltage. So in this game, one side controls the "front-end" - the card lights on the backglass (6 volts AC), and the other side controls the "back-end" - the solenoids inside the game to spot said card once it is landed upon (30 volts AC).
However, even though this game has two match-style units inside of it, as usual the alternating features are still controlled by the REAL match unit and were not transferred over to the AS relay (B relay) as that would make no sense - you'd get no alternating, because it only ever moves whatsoever when it spins via the kickout holes. However, the match unit in every Gottlieb games advances with every 10 point hit (or is it 1 point on these 4-digit games?) which also controls your alternation as I don't believe there is an alternating relay in this game.
At the end of the game do you get a match number appearing on the backglass? If this number never changes (or if no number appears but match is enabled) your match unit likely needs a rebuild/is stuck or dirty.
You can light SPECIAL by hand by activating all of the card switches and then spinning the unit by hand to see if it alternates for you then. The match unit is the large unit in the bottom of the right of the backbox, when facing the back of the machine. It will only twist one way and don't force it. Some units you need to plunge the coil by hand to get it to spin but if I remember correctly you can gently twist these and it will do it for you.

Nice explanation, Steven.

1 week later
#28 7 years ago
Quoted from larpo:

OTAKU
Thanks for your explanation. It appears to be very complete. Unfortunately I don't understand some of the portion pertaining to the match unit and what and where it is. There is a unit that looks like the spin unit and just left of it from the front end with a large bakelite disc on it.
If I push the plunger it releases something but I don't know what.
At the end of the game one of the 10 numbers in the bottom row lights, what does that mean?
Most of the game seems to be working OK considering it has been sitting unused in a hunting cabin for the last 10-15 years. I've replaced all the rubber and lamps, cleaned and polished the playfield, cleaned the contacts on the spin unit in the backbox. This match business has me baffeled.

You say the random number does light at the end of the game? This is the "match" number. Simply put, if the last digit of your score matches the random number which lights at game over, you're supposed to win a replay. Why they ever came up with this idea is a mystery to me because it has absolutely nothing to do with skill. It's total luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-spin-a-card-1?tu=jrpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.