(Topic ID: 305185)

Gottlieb Spiderman Sound Issues - Possible Grounding?

By Roccoajr

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Spidy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2616 (resized).jpg
IMG_2615 (resized).jpg
IMG_2614 (resized).jpg
IMG_2612 (resized).jpg
IMG_2613 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hey Everyone

So I'm new to this whole process, so please bear with me.

I recently acquired a Gottlieb Spiderman 80 pin. Overall works great. I went ahead and replace some burnt out lamps in the behind the back glass and installed some leds in the playfield. After I closed the playfield and reinstalled the glass i booted it up. Everything worked great, however, the sound started to have a muffled effect....for lack of better terms. After a few days it cut out, made a high pitched squeal randomly, went back to working normal, went out, on and on. I changed all the fuses behind the coin box to make sure nothing was old or blown. Same issue persisted. The sound would work, go off, work, go off, and then while it was just on with no one playing it... it started making a sound like a dial up modem.

I'm thinking, with my limited comprehension of these systems, it could be a grounding issue, blown fuse somewhere, blown speaker or bad sound board. I'm leaning towards grounding since it comes and goes but these systems are known for grounding issues to begin with. I watched Todd's Tips and saw how he did the ground behind the backglass for the Gottlieb 80 system. The ones i can find online are $200 so trying to save some cash. Seems pretty easy. However I don't have any extra harnesses or wires laying around. So that leads me to my questions

- Does this sound like a grounding issue?
- Is there a wire I can buy at Home Depot to use as a ground for the harness as he describes?
- If so what gauge?

I apologize for all the questions but I'm very new to the pinball systems. I'm familiar with other computer repairs, midlevel electronics, and coding... but I always seek advice to make sure I understand what exactly is going on.

Also, if anyone in the Orlando area is familiar with this stuff and is willing to teach me and give me a hand I would be glad to compensate you for your time.

Thank you

#TheAmazingSpiderman #Gottlieb #Audio The Amazing Spider-Man #Sound #Grounding

#2 2 years ago

The edge connector pins are always suspect on gottlieb system 80s and replacing them can solve issues. Make sure that the power supply is solid and the proper voltage is reaching the sound board. The electrolytic caps on the sound board are also 40 years old and might need replacing. The large cap actually leaked (yet still tested good!) and damaged by spidey sound board.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

The edge connector pins are always suspect on gottlieb system 80s and replacing them can solve issues. Make sure that the power supply is solid and the proper voltage is reaching the sound board. The electrolytic caps on the sound board are also 40 years old and might need replacing. The large cap actually leaked (yet still tested good!) and damaged by spidey sound board.

The power supply was changed prior to purchasing by previous owner. They supplied me with the receipt. So when I get home and take off the back glass and look behind the board what should I look for exactly? I know where the problem should be after looking at the Todd Tips video.. but any insider info would be appreciated. Or images. Im new to this... so please bear with me.

#4 2 years ago

The easiest thing to try is to re-seat the connectors with the game off and see if anything changes (for better or worse). gutz is absolutely correct. When dealing with system 80 games the connector pins are the #1 suspect followed by ground issues.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

The easiest thing to try is to re-seat the connectors with the game off and see if anything changes (for better or worse). gutz is absolutely correct. When dealing with system 80 games the connector pins are the #1 suspect followed by ground issues.

Awesome. Thank you. Ill try that and hope thats the problem

#6 2 years ago

So just to followup...

Went home and checked behind the back glass. Everything looked fine (images attached). After checking all the connections there I opened the playfield and tightened all the ground around the volume control. So far, that seems to have fixed the issue. So I assume there was a loose ground around there. Will followup if problem persists. Hoping that was it. If not may start replacing boards...and maybe move to a Pascal all in one for ease of use and funds.

Thanks everyone

IMG_2612 (resized).jpgIMG_2612 (resized).jpgIMG_2613 (resized).jpgIMG_2613 (resized).jpgIMG_2614 (resized).jpgIMG_2614 (resized).jpgIMG_2615 (resized).jpgIMG_2615 (resized).jpgIMG_2616 (resized).jpgIMG_2616 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#7 2 years ago

First time asking a question, I have a Gottlieb System 80 Spider-Man game. Very frustrating problem for me, simply my pop bumpers lock the coils (both) when I try starting a game, must be something that affects both coil’s, I can’t figure it out. New coils, new pop bumper driver boards, re-pinned A1-J6. No joy. Any leads would be awesome. Game powers up no problem, just can’t start an actual game.
Chuck

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-spiderman-sound-issues-possible-grounding and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.