(Topic ID: 347898)

Gottlieb Spiderman keep blowing kicker 2 fuse.

By SENO

7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7277 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7016 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7024 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7022 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7023 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7020 (resized).jpeg
#1 7 months ago

My Spiderman Gottlieb System 80 keeps blowing the Solenoid #2 Hole Kicker fuse. As soon as I disconnect the solenoid #2 hole kicker wire from A3-J4 and replace the fuse the rest of the solenoids work as they should. We replaced the original SE9300 transistor with a tip102 and it fired but locked on. I’ll attach some photos of the DMM reading on the transistors (left leg then right). I’m very new to this, but this I think is the last thing to fix… for now lol. Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_7016 (resized).jpegIMG_7016 (resized).jpegIMG_7018 (resized).jpegIMG_7018 (resized).jpegIMG_7019 (resized).jpegIMG_7019 (resized).jpegIMG_7020 (resized).jpegIMG_7020 (resized).jpegIMG_7021 (resized).jpegIMG_7021 (resized).jpegIMG_7022 (resized).jpegIMG_7022 (resized).jpegIMG_7023 (resized).jpegIMG_7023 (resized).jpegIMG_7024 (resized).jpegIMG_7024 (resized).jpeg

#2 7 months ago
Quoted from SENO:

... keeps blowing the Solenoid 2 fuse...

Which one? I see nothing in your drawing marked "Solenoid 2".

#3 7 months ago
Quoted from sparky672:

Which one? I see nothing in your drawing marked "Solenoid 2".

Sorry, #2 hole kicker.

#4 7 months ago
Quoted from SENO:

We replaced the original SE9300 transistor with a tip102 and it fired but locked on.

If the new transistor failed the first time it activated the coil then possibly the issue is related to the diode on the coil itself.
The coil diode is there to shunt high voltage back EMF which otherwise damages driver transistors.

#5 7 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

If the new transistor failed the first time it activated the coil then possibly the issue is related to the diode on the coil itself.
The coil diode is there to shunt high voltage back EMF which otherwise damages driver transistors.

I believe we replaced the diode. Also, we did reverse the wires on the solenoid (and reverse the diode direction) to get some more length from the wires. Would the transistor then need to be installed backwards because of that?

IMG_7277 (resized).jpegIMG_7277 (resized).jpeg
#6 7 months ago
Quoted from SENO:

Would the transistor then need to be installed backwards because of that?

No.
The transistor doesn't care which way the coil lugs are oriented with the wires other than the banded side of the diode is connected to the yellow-purple-purple wire is the switched red-blue-blue wire is on the non-banded diode side.
I see a 3 and a 7 digit on the diode. What model of diode is it?
With the machine OFF and your multi-meter on the 200 ohms scale, what resistance do you measure across the coil and likewise when you alternate the multi-meter probes?

#7 7 months ago

As suggested measure the coil to make sure it or the reverse protection diode are
not shorted. Another possibility is the IC that drives that transistor is frapped.
I've had this happen on series 80 pins including my Spiderman. Its easy to verify.
Remove the solenoid fuse and the driver transistor, measure with your VOM/DMM
between the base of the transistor and ground. Then get into the solenoid test.
At some point during the test sequence you should see a brief pulse on your
meter. If the voltage remains high (a little less than 5v), the driver chip is kaput.

#8 7 months ago

Thank you both for your input, I’ll try and have a look tonight and let you know. Much appreciated!

#9 7 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

No.
The transistor doesn't care which way the coil lugs are oriented with the wires other than the banded side of the diode is connected to the yellow-purple-purple wire is the switched red-blue-blue wire is on the non-banded diode side.
I see a 3 and a 7 digit on the diode. What model of diode is it?
With the machine OFF and your multi-meter on the 200 ohms scale, what resistance do you measure across the coil and likewise when you alternate the multi-meter probes?

3.2-3.6
Diode I’m not sure the model… JordanB ??
Jordan do you understand what zarco is suggesting? It’s over my head lol‍

#10 7 months ago

The A-16570 coil used at the hole kickers should have a DC resistance of around 15.5 ohms according to:
https://flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

Your 3.2 - 3.6 ohm reading are not good but could be caused by a shorted transistor at the driver board.
Please disconnect the A3-J4 connector from the driver board and measure the coil resistance again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Saint Paul, MN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.