• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Solar City C relay (resized).jpg
solar city c relay (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

I'm having an issue with the game that comes and goes. The "C" relay which energizes if a drop target and some roll over switches are hit, will randomly not energize if a target is hit. It can happen sometimes when starting a new game or while playing a game. Once a ball is in play the relay either works or it doesn't, so I'm thinking it's happening between balls in play when the machine resets the banks for the next ball. I do not have a schematic to see what other relays have switches that can control this relay.

Relay "D" (which energizes with other roll overs switches) works great and continues to work even when C is not.

I'm not having any scoring issues, if relay C is working properly then the score motor works fine.

Thanks for any suggestions!

#2 3 years ago

Here's the part of the schematic that energizes the C relay:

solar city c relay (resized).JPGsolar city c relay (resized).JPG

The circuit highlighted at the top is the lock-in circuit for the C relay. Make sure that n/o C switch is clean and gapped properly. The Motor 2B switch in series with it is probably all right since it's shared by the D relay, which you say is working fine. So 2 of the 4 rollovers should energize it, depending on the state of the A relay, and obviously the drop targets. I think I'd check all the drop target switches, that 3-5 ball Jones plug connection, anywhere along that highlighted circuit. Hope that helps.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from daddyboo:

Once a ball is in play the relay either works or it doesn't, so I'm thinking it's happening between balls in play when the machine resets the banks for the next ball.

That's an intriguing observation. At first glance one might suspect that the Motor 1C switch could be intermittent:
Solar City C relay (resized).jpgSolar City C relay (resized).jpg
but the blue-black wire that leads from it also goes to the 10/100/1000 Point relays and other things (not shown) so unless those are acting up too I don't think that's the problem. Assuming that all of the drop targets become unresponsive I'd look for an intermittent connection to the drop target banks, especially the blue-black, maroon-yellow and white-blue wires that connect to it either where they attach to the drop target assemblies or perhaps at the jones plugs. The idea that a drop target reset can make or break the C relay may point to a loose or bad connection.

When the C relay isn't working, are all four of the rollover switches that could fire it also unresponsive? Only two of the four are ever enabled at a time so try all four to see if any of them work.

Another approach would be to experiment with the game adjustments. In particular if you change to 3 balls per game and 500 points per side drop target does the D relay start to misbehave too?

/Mark

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

When the C relay isn't working, are all four of the rollover switches that could fire it also responsive? Only two of the four are ever enabled at a time so try all four to see if any of them work.

Thank you both for the suggestions. When the C relay isn't working, there are 2 rollover switches that do not work (the 2 lower guides that feed to the flippers, all the round "targets", and all of the drop down targets.

I did check the 3 & 5 ball jones plugs, cleaned them and swapped back and forth and it doesn't make a difference.

Couldn't see any visible loose or poorly connected wires leading to any drop targets, but since there are other targets affected as well I'm questioning whether the drop targets are the issue.

I'm going to look at the score motor. Since it seems to start after a ball drains and the motor scores earned points, perhaps a sequence isn't completed- rendering the C relay dead during the next ball. I've checked the switches already but may give it another look. I'm grabbing at straws now since I've looked everywhere else I know to try.

Thanks again

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from daddyboo:

When the C relay isn't working, there are 2 rollover switches that do not work (the 2 lower guides that feed to the flippers, all the round "targets", and all of the drop down targets.

Can you clarify? Do the round targets stop working too? They're not related to the C relay and should just score 100 or 1000 points depending on your configuration. In fact the two rollovers that return the ball to the flippers are also not tied to C but should just score 1000 points. Do any of the 10 point rebound switches work when C doesn't fire? If any of these other things stop working then maybe your issue is with the Motor 1C switch at the bottom right corner of the schematic above after all.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Can you clarify? Do the round targets stop working too? They're not related to the C relay and should just score 100 or 1000 points depending on your configuration. In fact the two rollovers that return the ball to the flippers are also not tied to C but should just score 1000 points. Do any of the 10 point rebound switches work when C doesn't fire? If any of these other things stop working then maybe your issue is with the Motor 1C switch at the bottom right corner of the schematic above after all.

Right you are Mark, without the schematic I had incorrectly assigned those targets to the same C relay. I cleaned and checked the score motor switches quite thoroughly. Looks like all the non-drop down targets (bumpers,rollovers,etc) are scoring properly now. Only the drop targets are not scoring, so I'm not sure what could still be out of whack.

Somewhere in my adjustments of the relays I tweaked something because the ball won't eject upon game startup, and the machine won't advance past Ball 1.

1 step forward & 2 back.

1 week later
#7 3 years ago

Thanks for all the assistance. The problem here was indeed in switch stack 1 of the score motor, as noted on the schematic. It's a difficult set of switches to get to (rather buried in the cams and I must have missed them when I adjusted everything earlier), but once adjusted it works great. Appreciate all the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-solar-city-issue?hl=paulace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.