(Topic ID: 171644)

Gottlieb Solar City Bonus Stepper Unit Repairs

By jackblotto

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Just got the parts to try and repair the Bonus Stepper Unit which had missing the wiper assembly and the gear/shaft. Got it put together and trying to get it to work. The Bonus Unit seems to be doing nothing. When I reset the game it completes it's reset but the ball kicker will not kick the ball out. The switch doesn't seem to do anything. Turns out that part of the switch stack at the Bonus Unit is tied into the kicker circuit, I think. It looks like *if* the bonus unit was running when the stepper goes through all 15 steps it closes a switch (and opens 2 closed ones) at the stack. When this happens, the kicker kicks the ball out, then the ball travels over another switch on the way to the outlane. That switch seems to set the ball count (or tell the ball count unit to do it) and also resets the Bonus Unit. When the ball drains again, nothing happens at all, the same as game start. I have to close that switch on the bonus switch stack to make something happen. So, when the kicker's switch closes when the ball drains, what should happen? What relays are involved or ?? Trying to read the schematic and getting slowly better at that but not very good yet.

To make sure of something, at that bonus stepper stack, there are 2 outer switches that are closed and then a single inner blade that gets closed when the wiper gets all the way around and opens the first switch which causes one of the switch blades to touch, ie close, the center switch, like this I think. These looked all bent out by the previous owner, looked like he was bypassing the bonus unit completely.

before unit runs blade1<->closed<->blade2<->open<->blade3<->open<->blade4<->closed<->blade5
at end of 15 steps blade1<->open<->blade2<->closed<->blade3<->open<->blade4<->open<->blade5

Feel like I am getting closer, but alas not there yet.

Help, David

#2 7 years ago

Got Bonus Stepper Switch sorted out (Thanks Darcy), though the switch could still have a problem, at least I know how it's supposed to be stacked up. Rest of the above msg still applies though.

Anybody got some ideas?

Thanks

#3 7 years ago

There is a Bonus Score Control Relay "G". Can you trip it manually?
Have you checked all of your soldering and the connections?

#4 7 years ago

I can trip that relay by hand and it puts points on the score, but the bonus stepper unit doesn't move. Not sure what that relay does unless it is supposed to put up points when the bonus stepper unit runs and *tells* it too? Haven't had to do any soldering thus far, when I worked on the bonus unit, I was replacing the gear/shaft and the wiper unit which required no soldering. The coils and switches are the originals that were already on my bonus unit. Trying to figure out what relays tell the bonus unit to actually run at the end of a ball?

Thanks

#5 7 years ago

The Bonus Control Relay when activated will hold in, until the Bonus Unit clicks through its positions. When the switches are tripped on the Bonus Unit the Bonus Control Relay will click off the relay. From the relay there should be a slate/red wire it connects reset coil on the Bonus Unit. There is a green/red wire that adds the bonus unit coil, it goes to a switch on the Bonus Control Relay.

Can you reset the game? Does the game send the ball to the shooter lane?

#6 7 years ago

When I start a game the kicker does not shoot the ball into the lane. If i manually close that middle switch on the bonus stepper switch the ball kicks out.

#7 7 years ago

To quote the Operating Instructions, from Gottlieb.

Place ball in the outhole. The ball return switch closes and completes the circuit to "O" relay through the normally closed switches of "DX", 15th position "Bonus" unit, Motor 1C, Motor 2B, "Q", "AX" and "S" relays. "O" relay locks in. Through switches on Motor 4C, "BX", and "O" the ball return coil actuates kicking the ball onto the the runway.

Quoted from jackblotto:

If i manually close that middle switch on the bonus stepper switch the ball kicks out.

Adjust the switch contact points closer, possibly file them slightly. If you are getting this result with your finger that post on the gear is not closing the contacts correctly. Could there to much tension on the return spring?

#8 7 years ago

Not sure what happened as I posted a response to this, but it's not showing up. He us a shorter version anyway.

The Bonus Stepper unit doesn't run when the ball goes into the outhole so that middle switch on the bonus unit never closes. So it would seem that something is not completing in that series of events you listed before the bonus unit is supposed to run it gets to that point and does nothing. Will try and review that series of steps.

One thing that could be playing into this us that when a game is started the score motor runs but doesn't complete. I have to manually engage the DX Relay which then signals the AX Relay to complete I think before the reset completes. Both of those relays are in the path for the kickoff as well. Not sure what is happening there yet either.

the for the help and the patience ..... D

#9 7 years ago

OK, got most everything working .The DX Relay needed adjusting and the Bonus Unit rebuild work was *mostly* correct, but needed some adjustments and additional parts replaced. Still need to go over a few things to see if there are any other issues. We'll see what I run into next, fingers-crossed. Thanks folks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-solar-city-bonus-stepper-unit-repairs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.