(Topic ID: 217549)

Gottlieb Solar City bonus count down design error

By gottliebgreg

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF0914 (resized).JPG
    DSCF0913 (resized).JPG
    DSCF0912 (resized).JPG
    solar city1 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

While I was troubleshooting a bonus count down issue on Solar City, I came across what appears to be a design error. After I had corrected various issues with the bonus count down, I noticed that there was a strange ‘stutter’ with the “ADD BONUS UNIT” coil that seemed to occur every 120 deg of motor rotation. Everything appeared to be working properly, so I dug a little deeper and studied the schematic and timing diagram; here is what I found: The ADD BONUS UNIT coil is controlled by the G (BONUS SCORE CONTROL) relay, K (DOUBLE BONUS) RELAY and several motor switches. Three of these motor switches are of the longer pulse style and one is an ‘impulse’ style (at location 4A). Typically, the longer pulse motor switches are used in series with the impulse style to provide a short pulse to drive a bell or knocker at the proper time during a motor rotation. What I noticed was the 4D switch was in parallel with the 4A switch when not in double bonus. This results in the ADD BONUS COIL being driven for 15 degrees of motor rotation at the beginning of every cycle instead of the usual >7.5 degrees. Moving the low side of the motor 4D switch from one side of the motor 4A switch to the other corrected this timing issue and eliminated the stutter.

solar city1 (resized).jpgsolar city1 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from gottliebgreg:

While I was troubleshooting a bonus count down issue on Solar City, I came across what appears to be a design error. After I had corrected various issues with the bonus count down, I noticed that there was a strange ‘stutter’ with the “ADD BONUS UNIT” coil that seemed to occur every 120 deg of motor rotation. Everything appeared to be working properly, so I dug a little deeper and studied the schematic and timing diagram; here is what I found: The ADD BONUS UNIT coil is controlled by the G (BONUS SCORE CONTROL) relay, K (DOUBLE BONUS) RELAY and several motor switches. Three of these motor switches are of the longer pulse style and one is an ‘impulse’ style (at location 4A). Typically, the longer pulse motor switches are used in series with the impulse style to provide a short pulse to drive a bell or knocker at the proper time during a motor rotation. What I noticed was the 4D switch was in parallel with the 4A switch when not in double bonus. This results in the ADD BONUS COIL being driven for 15 degrees of motor rotation at the beginning of every cycle instead of the usual >7.5 degrees. Moving the low side of the motor 4D switch from one side of the motor 4A switch to the other corrected this timing issue and eliminated the stutter.

Interesting detective work. I compared YouTube videos for Solar City with Target Alpha; the former indeed has a conspicuous stutter when collecting the non-2x bonus.

#3 5 years ago

I hate to say it, but that stutter always bugged me. I guess I’ll be ripping into my SC again.

3 months later
    #4 5 years ago

I've been asked to clarify this mod, my original post is a little confusing. Here are photos showing the mod:
    At motor position 4D, locate the switch with the GRN/YEL wire.

DSCF0912 (resized).JPGDSCF0912 (resized).JPG
    #5 5 years ago

On the 4D switch, follow the wire that is on the other side of the switch from the GRN/YEL. This wire (blue in the pictures) will go to a common connection for RED/WHT. Cut the wire (blue in my case) at the RED/WHT side, leaving the side that goes to 4D intact.

DSCF0913 (resized).JPGDSCF0913 (resized).JPG
    #6 5 years ago

Strip the end of the blue wire and solder it to the switch at position 4A, on the terminal with the BLK/RED wire. That's it, you're done. In looking at my pictures, I need to reflow that connection.

DSCF0914 (resized).JPGDSCF0914 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-solar-city-bonus-count-down-design-error and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.