Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16589490873124731031029425793625 (resized).jpg
Soccer 100 pt relay (resized).jpg
Soccer 10 pt relay (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crujones4life.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I have quite a few issues on this one. Not sure where to start.

1. Cannot start a 2 player game.

2. Will not go to game over after ball 5.

3. Gate to shooter lane will open but closes right away.

4. The 100 point relay will stay energized longer than I think it is supposed to when only 100 points is scored (can hear it buzzing). When 500 points is scored, it works much more smoothly. The scoring in general is confusing me. (If I manually move to player 2, same behavior is seen).

4a. 100 points scored when targets are lit and not lit, 500 points scores when targets are lit and not lit. Seems random.

4b. Spinner triggers the 10 point and 100 point relay...what the Hell? Sometimes 100 points per spin sometimes 500 points per spin. This is in addition to 10 points per spin. So confusing.

Where should I start? I do have the schematics. I can usually use them to figure out the problem if I know what to look for, which I don't.

*I have cleaned and adjusted the 100 point relay and I THINK it's ok.

#4 1 year ago

Some good places to start. Thank you. What about the scoring? What are the spinners supposed to score?

#5 1 year ago

So hours later and zero progress made...why do I do this to myself? Lol. I don't think the shotgun approach is working for me.

The 100 point coil will hold too long sometimes. When it does, game will not score 500 points. Just a long hold of 100 point relay and 100 points. Also missed points in pop nest as instead of 100 points per pop it's 100 points per 3 seconds or so (however long 100 point relay is pulled in).

Sometimes (Usually ball 4 or 5) 100 point relay will work just fine. 100 point relay pulses instead of holding. 500 points will score fine, all pop hits score 100 points, etc.

Just looking at this one issue (so I don't loose my mind) where should I look? What would cause the 100 point relay to hold instead of pulse like it should?

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Point relays have a lock in switch that keeps them active until the Score Reel end of stroke switch opens. Here's the 10 pt relay from Soccer:
[quoted image]
So once the N/10 point relay fires, it closes its own lock in switch (labeled N above) which keeps it active until one of the switches in the red boxes opens. Doesn't matter which one, but one has to open to break the circuit. The other point relays have the same kind of normally closed switches in the red boxes.
Once a point relay is locked on, it's already active so it won't be able to add any more points until it relaxes again.
/Mark

Are those normally closed switches in the red boxes on the score reels?

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Yes. Think about how it has to work. The point relay needs to know if the power it's sending to the Score Reel is getting there. How would it know? It would know when the Score Reel solenoid plunger has pulled all the way in. So the switch has to be activated by the Score Reel solenoid plunger.
AC pop bumpers driven by relays work the same way. The relay keeps sending power until it knows that the work is done. The feedback from the end of stroke switch is what tells the relay that it can relax.

Thanks so much for your time and help. I will dig in and report back. Thank you!

#10 1 year ago

So...I have cleaned both EOS switches on both 100 point score reels. Problem still remains. I let the score reels hang down while scoring 100 points so I can watch them in action. EOS is wide open after plunger is pulled and 100 point relay is still active for a few seconds! Any other ideas?

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

If the theory is that a switch is not opening, but is conducting all the time, cleaning the switch won't change that. Does that make sense? Cleaning only helps if a switch doesn't conduct.
If you block the 100 point relay lock in switch (in red) does the 100 point relay still stay active after it fires? If it does the problem is in some other circuit. If it doesn't stay active the problem is in this circuit with the blocked lock in switch.
[quoted image]

Yes. It stays active even when I block that switch on the 100 point relay.

#13 1 year ago

Progress! I just went through the entire relay bank and lots of adjustments were needed.

I can now start and play a 2 player game!

100 point relay is now working as it should!

***At the end of the game (ball 5 drained on player 2) instead of going to game over the motor just kept running.

***The ball return gate still won't stay open. It opens and closes right away. Adjustment to the shooter lane switch made no difference.

#14 1 year ago

On a roll now. Misadjusted switch on outhole relay was keeping it from going to game over. Fixed!

2 things left for now.

***The ball return gate still won't stay open. It opens and closes right away. Adjustment to the shooter lane switch made no difference.

***First ball for player 1 will only score 100 points (no chime) even if ball rolls over 500 point upper rollover. After any switch is activated, all scoring works correctly.

Ideas?

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

***First ball for player 1 will only score 100 points (no chime) even if ball rolls over 500 point upper rollover. After any switch is activated, all scoring works correctly.
Ideas?

ZB (1st ball relay) doesn't fire until a switch is hit. Is this correct behavior or should it fire at game start? Wondering if this is the issue?

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Once the game has powered up, the ZB/First Ball relay should trip when the N/10 or M/100 point relay fires. It's what tells the Player Unit whether it can advance to the next position when the ball drains.

That's what I gathered from the schematics but what's weird is the first switch hit does not activate the chimes regardless of score value and the lit 500 upper rollover only scores 100 points (again with no chime) when it is the 1st switch hit. Once any switch is hit and the ZB relay trips everything else scores correctly...

#18 1 year ago

Asking for more help on my scoring issue. I cannot get the 1st rollover to score 500 points until any other switch is hit 1st or I hit the 1st rollover for 100 points 1st.

The only relay I see that stays active after the 1st switch closure is ZB 1st ball relay. But that is correct behavior for that relay.

Here is the schematic.

G is the 500point and add bonus relay. #1 top rollover is the switch in question.

16589490873124731031029425793625 (resized).jpg16589490873124731031029425793625 (resized).jpg
#19 1 year ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Fixed! Was a normally closed switch on P that wasn't closed.

Last issue is in the previous post. Any help is appreciated!

#20 1 year ago

Boom! Got it! Make or break on SB1 not making. What a rush figuring this stuff out while listening to some good music (punk rock) in my shop!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crujones4life.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-soccer-help-please?tu=crujones4life and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.