• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

slick chick - playfield new (resized).jpg
slick chick - playfield (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi everyone, I recently picked up a Gottlieb Slick Chick (1963). From what I heard from the previous owner, the machine was left with the glass off for a long period of time and got very dirty (may have been left in a shed). Attached is an image of the playfield currently which I think looks pretty bad.

So I was wondering what would be the best way to go about cleaning it. I was reading in some other posts that I could use vp&m naphtha, novus 1/2, or alcohol+magic eraser. I was reading that vp&m naphtha was safest to use but I can't find any in Canada that doesn't have some sort of additives. I read in other posts that the other methods could remove the paint potentially. So I was wondering if there was either another method to cleaning it that I haven't mentioned or if one of the other methods (Novus or alcohol+magic eraser) potential for paint removal was exagerated/unlikely?

Also, for whatever method you recommend, what would be the best method to apply it to the playfield? Thanks!

slick chick - playfield (resized).jpgslick chick - playfield (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Check if your Sherwin-Williams store has it. We can get naphtha there in Ottawa.

That playfield has a lot of wear. What is your ultimate goal with it? Clean and play? Or repaint/restore?

ISO + magic eraser will likely remove all the remaining lacquer top coat but if you are planning to restore/repaint that is okay.

Start with a good vacuuming!

#3 4 years ago

If you’re willing to strip everything off the top side the cleaning will go much faster. It wouldn’t surprise me if there was significant rust.

I’ve used simple green on a rag. You want to avoid water soaking into the wood. Ideally your method will only loosen the dirt and leave the finish untouched. A mostly impossible goal but that’s the idea.

Once you get that thick layer of grime off you’ll be able to make an informed decision on what’s next.

I’d start with whatever you have on hand. Alcohol, naphtha, Novus. Don’t grind the dirt in, loosen it and remove it with your rag.

#4 4 years ago

Love the string. This game might clean up nicely, that staining on the exposed wood might only lighten up, and possibly not go away fully.

#5 4 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

dr_nybble Thanks for pointing that out. I found some at one of my local Sherwin-Williams as well. Yes the playfield has definitely seen better days. I've been thinking about trying to repaint the worn areas but I don't know if I'd be able to do a decent job at it so I'm still thinking about it. At least for now I'll be focusing on getting the machine working and cleaned. I'll also be repainting the cabinet but thats much easier.

YeOldPinPlayer Okay, I'll make sure to not grind the dirt in when I clean it.

Darcy As long that the field looks better than it does now, I'll be happy.

I'll start off with a vacuum and then start working with the naphtha and see how that goes. Once I'm done with that, I'll re-evaluate the field and see what else should be done with it then. Thanks!

#6 4 years ago

Got another quick question for you guys. Should I clean the plastic pieces with something else besides naphtha or is naphtha the best choice for those as well?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from cperro:

Got another quick question for you guys. Should I clean the plastic pieces with something else besides naphtha or is naphtha the best choice for those as well?

Novus for those.

#8 4 years ago

Thanks @yeoldpinplayer. Got another question for all of you, what should I use to clean the metal skirt on the playfield?

#9 4 years ago

How’s it going? I hope you are taking everything apart...

#10 4 years ago

Murphdom I've taken off all of the plastic pieces and the metal skirt in the front except for the pop bumpers and the back piece of metal at the top of the playfield (top metal skirt? dont know what its called). I know I'm going to need to take off the pop bumpers as well, just haven't got around to it yet. In the spots I have cleaned so far, it definitely looks better but still pretty dirty, I've attached an updated picture. It's still kinda bad though in my opinion so I'm thinking I may try some novus 2 on it to see if it exposes some of the fresher paint.

slick chick - playfield new (resized).jpgslick chick - playfield new (resized).jpg
#11 4 years ago

You might find this interesting.

http://michpinball.com/blog/?p=429

#12 4 years ago

Have you tried simple green? Use it sparingly since it’s water based. Just lightly dampen a microfiber cleaning cloth then wipe the area down followed by a dry wipe down right after. It will get rid of a ton of dirt. Some playfields you can’t avoid it. There are mixed thoughts on the use of water based products on playfields because of swelling but if you are careful you should be fine as long as you’re not soaking it. Check out some of vids guides about playfield cleaning and restoration on here. Novus will grind in the dirt and destroy the artwork if the dirt isn’t removed first. I’ve used this method several times on very dirty playfields and never had any issues.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

You might find this interesting.
http://michpinball.com/blog/?p=429

Looks very similar.

3 weeks later
#14 4 years ago

What was the end result of this?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Staunton, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shaker Heights, OH
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-slick-chick-very-dirty-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.