New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 149913)

Gottlieb Skyline

By Spyderturbo007

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MikeO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Skyline_(resized).JPG

#1 4 years ago

Two quick questions about my Skyline.

1. How do I turn it on and off? I know it sounds stupid, but when I plug it in I have to start a game for it to light up. The only way I can see to turn it off is to unplug it. Is that correct?

2. There seems to be a wire that isn't attached. I suspect it goes to the switch next to it, but does anyone know what that switch does?

3. How do you adjust the tilt? I tried screwing it in like you would on a Stern, but it doesn't appear to be adjustable and just spins.

I can't seem to link to the game through Pinside, so here is the IPDB link.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3240

Sorry for the stupid questions, but this is my first Gottlieb.

Skyline_(resized).JPG

#2 4 years ago

Chicago Coin game correct? Just check ipdb--found it. Gottlieb. Right

#3 4 years ago

Press the start button or insert a coin to turn on.

Whack the bottom of the cabinet to turn off!

#4 4 years ago

"If your game is older and does not have a power switch, you can install one. Get a SPST (Single Pole, Single Throw) or DPST (Double Pole, Single Throw) switch. Power rating for the switch should be 120 volts 3 amps or higher. (You should use a DPST switch, and turn both sides of the power cord off, but frankly I never do that.) Using a SPST switch just turns off one side of the power. Splice the one power cord lead at the transformer to a 4.5 foot length of 2 prong (2 wire) line cord. Technically you should splice the switch into the line cord's "hot" wire (not the "neutral" wire). The hot wire on the power cord should have "lines" molded into the insulation (as today's power cords are all polarized). Run the line cord up to the front of the game, where the switch will be located. Attach the other wire of the 4.5 foot line cord to the original power connection.

Also it's a good idea to put the switch on a raised 4" square block, so the switch lever does not protrude below the game's bottom panel. Then drill a 2" hole in the bottom of the cabinet wood, and put the wood block over the hole. Otherwise the switch can be easily broken if the legs are removed and the lower cabinet moved. Again I don't do this (I just remove the switch's nut and push it into the cabinet when I move the game), but it's not a bad idea."

"On older games that never had a power switch, I disable the Lock relay (bending the Lock relay's switch blades so its permanently "on"), and remove power going to the relay. The lock relay is usually burned up anyway, so adding a power switch defeats the relay and it's one less thing to worry about."

http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index3.htm

Maybe explore this...

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

1. How do I turn it on and off? I know it sounds stupid, but when I plug it in I have to start a game for it to light up. The only way I can see to turn it off is to unplug it. Is that correct?

That is correct; there is no on/off switch on that era Gottlieb. To turn on, they have to be 'coined up' (i.e., drop a coin in, or start a game if it has credits). To turn off, you slap the bottom of the cabinet to bounce up a knockoff switch. Or unplug it. Easiest thing to do (and preserve the game as original) is to just plug it into a power strip. Still has to be coined up to turn on (or tweak it to be on free play to just start with the replay button).

2. There seems to be a wire that isn't attached. I suspect it goes to the switch next to it, but does anyone know what that switch does?

Looks like that's where that wire goes. That's the "ball roll tilt" switch.

3. How do you adjust the tilt? I tried screwing it in like you would on a Stern, but it doesn't appear to be adjustable and just spins.

Which tilt? There's the tilt bob (has a small wire clip below it that you squeeze and push up or down), the ball roll tilt (has screws to loosen, then tip the ball cage up or down), and then one or two weighted open switches (those just are gapped).

The game name is "Sky Line".

#6 4 years ago

Thanks everyone for their help.

Quoted from DirtFlipper:

To turn off, you slap the bottom of the cabinet to bounce up a knockoff switch. Or unplug it.

Although smacking the bottom of the cabinet sounds like fun, I think I'll go with the power strip idea.

Quoted from DirtFlipper:

That's the "ball roll tilt" switch.

What's a "Ball roll tilt" switch? - EDIT -> Found it. Looks like it's to keep someone from lifting the game in an attempt to keep it from draining.

The tilt bob. I didn't even notice a clip on the bottom. I'll check that when I get home.

Is there supposed to be any type of mechanism that prevents someone from loading a subsequent ball in the shooter lane before the previous ball has drained? I could load all 5 balls if I wanted to at the same time, but wasn't sure if that was normal.

Does anyone have any experience playing the game? I'm curious as to the way the bumpers are supposed to function, but this is the only one I've ever played.

#7 4 years ago

Is there supposed to be any type of mechanism that prevents someone from loading a subsequent ball in the shooter lane before the previous ball has drained? I could load all 5 balls if I wanted to at the same time, but wasn't sure if that was normal.

Nope, you could do that. Normal on a mechanical ball lift game.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Nope, you could do that. Normal on a mechanical ball lift game.

Kids just love to blast all 5 into the pf and watch them go..

#9 4 years ago

Multiball.

#10 4 years ago

The switches on the wheel just knock out the respective lights. Your goal is to knock out all the lights either by passing through the rollover lane or hitting the switch on the wheel.

I find Sky Line to be a bit on the easy side because of the wheel.

The pop bumpers are just pop bumpers. They light for 10 points versus only one when not lit. I don't recall what causes them to light.

#11 4 years ago

What I'm trying to determine is if the pop bumpers are supposed to relite when starting a new game. When you hit the Advance target, it lights the pops every other switch hit for X number of hits (I don't know how many yet). Once you reach X, they stop lighting until you hit the Advance target again.

The weird thing is that if you start another game and they weren't lit at the end of the previous game's last ball, they don't reset and you have to hit the Advance target again. But, if they were lit at the end of the games last ball, then they will be lit on the start of a new game.

It just seems to me that they should reset between games, but I can't find another one to play.

#12 4 years ago

Sounds like it is a stepper ties directly to the advance targets. Find the stepper and with the game opened up watch its action as you hit the advance stepper.

That makes sense that they would set a feature up like that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 12.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 199.95
Playfields
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 64.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 35.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside