(Topic ID: 240198)

Gottlieb Sky Jump Drop Targets not Resetting (Also Scoring Issue)

By lint

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by lint
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190417_195239 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190407_132813 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
Pinball (resized).png
IMG_20190406_200605 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lint.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I am refurbishing a Sky Jump to playable condition and I recently ran into an issue that I am not able to solve on my own. When a game is started the drop targets can be hit and they will score the correct amounts. Once the last target is hit the machine locks on the 1k score reel and does not reset the drop targets. Turning off he machine and starting a new game will also not reset the drop targets and will continue with the locked on 1k Reel.

Below is the drop target section of the schematics. I am still new to EM so any help would be great. I checked and actuated all of the switches on the drop target mechanism all those all seem correct and gapped appropriately. I also checked the two fuses for the two reset coils.

Any tips would be great. -Todd

IMG_20190406_200605 (resized).jpgIMG_20190406_200605 (resized).jpg
#4 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

What are the Motor and the E relay doing when this happens?

thanks for the question.
Motor is spinning and E relay is firing.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Raff:

Did you take the fuses out and test them with a dmm.

yes sir. both tested fine with continuity and ohms.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Since the drop targets don't reset during game play or reset, the most likely culprit is the outside switch on Motor 2C

When I turn the game on after killing the power when it locks on, the motor will reset itself and stop at the below position. The Purple/Orange switch on 2C is open in this reset position which it should be if I am understanding correctly. On E I have Purple/Yellow/Green on a Make/Break which appears to be functioning correctly as well. I hit each of the above contacts with a flexstone, no change. Continuing to trace...

IMG_20190407_132813 (resized).jpgIMG_20190407_132813 (resized).jpg
#11 5 years ago

Here is a video of what is happening. Note I did not have a ball in the trough so points are not registering when I press each drop target. Lighting is not great but you can just make out E Relay firing.

https://vimeo.com/328992110

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

For a switch to work 3 things are necessary
1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

Thanks, I'll recheck this switch tonight and report back.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Part of the start sequence [quoted image]

Thank you for this. I have the manual as well but rarely remember to look at it for troubleshooting.

#15 5 years ago

note: always order switch adjusters in pairs. where the heck is that thing....

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
Be careful because this circuit runs on 120 volts
[quoted image]

Hi Howard,
I traced everything in your diagram and confirmed all is setup as it should be. I tested continuity through each stage of the circuit and confirmed a good connection between all switches when closed (manually).

Same results. once the drop targets are all down the E relay continues firing 5k to the score reel and the score motor just spins. Just like in the video I posted. If I manually reset the drop targets the game operates normally until the last drop is down. then it does the above.

Any other ideas? Thanks so far by the way. I am much more confident reading schematics after going through that exercise.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If you'd like to try a phone call, send me your cell phone # in a private message.

thanks! ill pm you this weekend.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Have you checked the drop target contacts? One may not be opening at the bottom of travel.

yes just check all of them again. all appear to be opening and closing as they need to. Master contact on the back to signal all switches down also opens and closes correctly.

#21 5 years ago

Fixed the problem with the help of HowardR and PhilGreg.

Howard was amazing enough to phone me and walk me through lots of tests, teaching me each step of the way. We traced it down to a bad neutral wire that went up to the Drop Target coils. I traced this wire all the way back to the transformer. Since my transformer had a cage around it I did not notice the wire had come looses. See photo below.

IMG_20190417_195239 (resized).jpgIMG_20190417_195239 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lint.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sky-jump-drop-targets-not-resetting-also-scoring-issue?tu=lint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.