Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Impact93
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

35E4FD84-B2D7-40DB-92D1-56E8EDDD4E6C (resized).jpeg
    1A86F1D5-5B2F-4CA0-843C-A05AEFCDD91B (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

Hi everyone

Pinball newb here with little experience working on these but trying to learn. I definitely do better with hands on than schematics but I try.

From unplugged state:

1.plug in (nothing)

2.add quarter

-playfield and head unit lights turn on
    -game adds credits correctly
    -motor turns
    -ball kicks out ready to plunge

All score reels fail to reset •

Playfield is active and all score reels will accumulate points correctly except for the ones reel.

The ones reel will mostly spark and make a buzzing sound when bumpers or targets are hit but will %90 of the time not advance. Ones reel can be advanced manually with finger and moves easily. Tapping ones relay will also add points to ones reel but bright sparks occur when tapped. Sometimes the relay holds shut and blows the fuse both when manually tapping or via playfield

Ones reel will NOT advance tens reel when rolled past 9.

I hope i explained that correctly. I guess the thing to do is to get the reset working properly.

Thanks for reading.

#2 4 years ago

Ok, I just noticed something else

1. The previous owner has been soldering connections on the score units specifically on the end of stroke connectors

2. The tens reel end of stroke switch is broken off.

1A86F1D5-5B2F-4CA0-843C-A05AEFCDD91B (resized).jpeg1A86F1D5-5B2F-4CA0-843C-A05AEFCDD91B (resized).jpeg35E4FD84-B2D7-40DB-92D1-56E8EDDD4E6C (resized).jpeg35E4FD84-B2D7-40DB-92D1-56E8EDDD4E6C (resized).jpeg
    #3 4 years ago

Repair the switch - one leaf is indeed broken. Clean the contacts for the score reels and the relays that control the chimes - I don't remember the designation, but the relays are in the head.

Since the previous owner has been playing with the score reels, that would be a good place to start looking for issues. Let us know.

#4 4 years ago

Forgot to mention how to clean the contacts - drag a business card through the closed contacts to remove tarnish. YOU should not need anything heavier (Sandpaper is a definite no no). Verify the screws that hold the switches are tight - closest to the contact first, then the back one.

If the switches are riveted together, you want to make sure that both rivets are intact and sandwiching the pieces.

You are going to want a schematic - Steve at Pinball Resource sells them. Gottlieb schematics are generally not available on line, and they actively keep them from showing up on line.

#5 4 years ago

Thanks Bill

Would a broken EOS switch effect the reset? I actually have the original schematics that came with this machine. They are old but still legible!

Guess I’ll order that EOS now. I kinda wonder if I should just order some other parts while I’m at it just so I don’t have to make multiple orders.

#6 4 years ago

The eos switch has nothing to do with the reset of the score reels. A rubber ring kit, #47 bulbs, and new line cord are popular items.
    What bill c was saying about cleaning contacts is for solid state games that have gold plated contacts. For em machines I use a ignition points file.

#7 4 years ago

Right. So where do I look to fix the reset?

Thanks

#8 4 years ago

When you say the reels won’t reset, do you mean they just keep spinning? Or they stop spinning when you start a game, but they’re not on zero?

It sounds like you’re able to start a “game” of sorts, and get some scoring to happen. Are the reels continually spinning while this is going on? Or just not at zero when you begin?

#9 4 years ago

Here's a site I refer to often and one that you as a newb should certainly bookmark: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1

Read down to Score Reels in 2.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from goldenboy232:

When you say the reels won’t reset, do you mean they just keep spinning? Or they stop spinning when you start a game,

They don’t spin at all when you start the game. It doesn’t even sound like they are trying to reset. So if the score reads 2222 when you put a quarter in it just stays at 2222. From that point you can play a game and add to that score.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from currieddog:

Here's a site I refer to often and one that you as a newb should certainly bookmark: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1
    Read down to Score Reels in 2.

Thanks for the link!

#12 4 years ago

After reading the above link i cleaned some connectors, repaired a leaf switch on a score reel and soldered some suspicious wires. I can now get the machine to reset correctly and the field is ready for play! Thanks!!

•Reset issue fixed!•

Remaining issues

1.When the ball in play drains the credits won’t go down. The credits reel DOES act correctly when adding a quarter and starting a game.

2.Ones reel will not advance. Just bright sparks from the relay, all 4 lead switches flash brightly. It’s not the reel itself as I have removed the number reel and moving parts from the equation. The coil shakes but will not fire properly even with nothing in its way. If I remove the tension spring the coil will fire. Video below

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sing-along-reset-trouble?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.