You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Hello everyone,

there is an intermittent problem where on Sing Along at the start of a game, the ball count unit will pulse twice so the game starts on ball 2 rather than ball 1
The game is going to game over correctly.
The ball count unit step up coil is activated by the trough switch which the ball is only rolling over once.
The ball count unit appears to be stepping up and down correctly and the wiper plate looks to be in the correct position relative to the rivets.
Strangely, sometimes the game works correctly and starts on ball 1.

Any help appreciated, many thanks.

#2 3 years ago

The Add Ball Count unit solenoid should only be activated by the trough switch so start by having a close look there.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 3 years ago

One thing I would check early on is the mechanical action of the stepper itself. If this is only happening on the first ball, it could be that the gear isn't quite returning all the way to the zero position - there is literally a hard stop that the gear is supposed to rest against. If the gear isn't resetting all the way, that might allow the drive pawl to catch an extra tooth during the first step-up.

- TimMe

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

The Add Ball Count unit solenoid should only be activated by the trough switch so start by having a close look there.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for your reply Howard,

the switch looks ok, when I manually activate it, it steps the ball count unit up one increment.
From the schematic, there are no other switches involved in that circuit but I shall have another look at it.

Many thanks, Richard

#5 3 years ago

Hello Tim, thanks for your reply,

the ball count unit seems to be operating correctly, it steps up positively and consistantly and steps down quickly and consistantly, the return spring tension is ok, it always goes to the stop and the ball in play wiper always goes to the minus 1 position on the rivets at reset, which I believe is correct.

I have watched closely what happens when the game resets and, when starting a new game, the ball in play lights go from game over, (5th rivet on bcu) to no lights lit,(minus 1 rivet) to ball 1,(1st rivet) the ball eject solenoid then kicks the ball over the trough switch and the ball in play light goes to 2, so I am (fairly) sure that the bcu step up solenoid is being pulsed twice.
What is baffling me the most is that occasionally it will work correctly, suggesting that the bcu is working correctly but some how getting an extra pulse to it's step up solenoid, the trough switch is only closing once and the ball in play light goes to 1 before the ball is kicked out.

Thanks for your help, Richard

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Quercus22:

Hello Tim, thanks for your reply,
the ball count unit seems to be operating correctly, it steps up positively and consistantly and steps down quickly and consistantly, the return spring tension is ok, it always goes to the stop and the ball in play wiper always goes to the minus 1 position on the rivets at reset, which I believe is correct.
I have watched closely what happens when the game resets and, when starting a new game, the ball in play lights go from game over, (5th rivet on bcu) to no lights lit,(minus 1 rivet) to ball 1,(1st rivet) the ball eject solenoid then kicks the ball over the trough switch and the ball in play light goes to 2, so I am (fairly) sure that the bcu step up solenoid is being pulsed twice.
What is baffling me the most is that occasionally it will work correctly, suggesting that the bcu is working correctly but some how getting an extra pulse to it's step up solenoid, the trough switch is only closing once and the ball in play light goes to 1 before the ball is kicked out.
Thanks for your help, Richard

Double check the "S" and "L" position of each of the score motor switch stacks against the schematics to make sure the score motor is assembled correctly. Worked on a Far Out which was mis-sequencing the player unit occasionally and it turns out the one of the switch stacks was configured incorrectly, likely from the factory. It worked perfectly once this was fixed. Also as others suggested make sure the player unit is properly cleaned, lubricated and re-sleved, often the grease in the pivots have hardened. Good luck!

#7 3 years ago

Thanks pinengineer, I shall check that.

Regards, Richard

#8 3 years ago

If you're not certain what the Ball Count unit is doing, you can make a slow motion video of its operation with your cellphone.

#9 3 years ago

Hello Howard, that's a good idea, unfortunately the game is about an hours drive away.

The ball count unit looks to be working correctly, I may be wrong, but I can't see anything wrong with it, when it resets it goes to the minus 1 position on the ball in play wiper/rivet which seems correct, as when it (occasionally) works correctly, that means that when the ball goes over the trough switch it steps up to the ball 1 position. What happens 90% plus of the time is that the ball count unit steps twice, once before the ball is ejected and once when the ball is ejected and rolls over the trough switch.
It's got me baffled! I shall have a closer look at it when I can.

Many thanks, Richard

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Quercus22:

when starting a new game, the ball in play lights go from game over, (5th rivet on bcu) to no lights lit,(minus 1 rivet) to ball 1,(1st rivet)

That pulse should not be happening. The ball count unit should only pulse and step once, from position zero to position one, just after the ball is kicked out of the outhole, and then rolls over the switch wireform at the shooter end of the trough.

I've seen a situation happen on these GTB wedgeheads where the metal ball return trough conducts electricity from the outhole switch to the ball-count step up switch because the switch wireforms are touching the trough and also touching the switch blades. You can check for this by unscrewing the trough switch for the ball count step up, and letting it hang free while you start a new game. If the ball kicks out to the shooter and you don't get any ball count step up from the zero position, then you have such a short happening in your game. The easy fix for this is to unsolder the two wires for the trough switch and swap them.

If the ball count unit still steps up one during game reset with the trough switch hanging free and not touching anything, then you have some other circuit fault in the game that is allowing an electrical pulse onto the ball count unit during game start. This may be due to a circuit modification or a prior home repair done by someone who did not understand that the trough switch is what steps up the ball count unit. I've actually seen games where the trough switch went out of adjustment, and a person "repaired" the problem by running a wire from the outhole kicker coil to the ball count step up coil. So you may be dealing with something like that.

- TimMe

#11 3 years ago

Hello Tim,

thanks for that, I shall investigate further.

While I was lying awake at night thinking about it, I had a thought, there are two key things,

1. the fault does not occur 100% of the time.
2. the fault only ever occurs at the start of a game, it never skips from ball 2 to ball 4 or 3 to 5.

This got me thinking about what happens at the start of a game and it occurred to me that when the relay banks reset, the action is quite violent and I'm wondering if there is enough vibration to close the trough switch, because the ball in play light goes to ball 1 during reset (so the bcu is stepping up then) and then to ball 2 when the ball rolls over the trough switch. If so, it would just need a bigger switch gap.

Looking at the schematic, the bcu step up solenoid is controlled by the trough switch and nothing else so I think that is where the problem lies.

I wouldn't have thought of your explanation so many thanks Tim, when I can I shall have a look at it ( the game is not with me)

Thanks again, Richard

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Quercus22:

Hello Tim,

This got me thinking about what happens at the start of a game and it occurred to me that when the relay banks reset, the action is quite violent and I'm wondering if there is enough vibration to close the trough switch, because the ball in play light goes to ball 1 during reset (so the bcu is stepping up then) and then to ball 2 when the ball rolls over the trough switch. If so, it would just need a bigger switch gap.

Sounds reasonable to me, I hope that is it. It will be interesting to see your follow-up posting on this.

- TimMe

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

Sounds reasonable to me, I hope that is it. It will be interesting to see your follow-up posting on this.
- TimMe

Thanks Tim,

I'm going to have a look at it this weekend.

Richard

#14 3 years ago

Success!

I looked at the game today and have resolved the problem, with someone else pressing the start button I could immediately see that the ball count unit was not resetting to the zero position as I had thought, but was resetting to the ball 1 position.
When I activated the reset solenoid by hand, it reset 100% of the time but obviously the pulse the reset coil is getting is not as strong as my finger.
I increased the tension of the torsion spring by one turn and the problem happened less frequently so I increased the tension by another turn and it now resets correctly and goes to ball 1 when the ball is kicked over the trough switch.

Many thanks for your suggestions, they steered me in the right direction and are much appreciated.

Thanks again, Richard

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Birmingham, AL
$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sing-along-intermittent-ball-count-unit-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.