2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by lincolnv
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SAM_0745 (resized).JPG
    Ship Mates R relay (resized).jpg
    Ship Mates H relay (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I'm working on a Ship Mates that has multiple issues. The first is , if the game is shut off without the game ending, as in, if you shut off the game after playing 2 balls, then turn the game back on, it is still in the middle of the game you were playing. The hold relay turns on as soon as you turn on the toggle switch. The toggle switch is wired in correctly. The hold relay switches are adjusted correctly. Any ideas?

#2 2 years ago

I'm not sure about normal actions on Ship Mates but assume that it works like earlier Gottliebs where the hold relay doesn't normally engage until a coin is dropped or the replay button is pressed. If so, usually the startup routine involves a switch that closes (and is associated with the coin relay or replay button relay) that then completes the circuit to the transformer which then causes the hold relay to engage. And so, perhaps one of these switches is closed when it should be open.

Good luck!

#3 2 years ago

I agree with @tfduda. This is the H/30 Volt Hold relay circuit:
    Ship Mates H relay (resized).jpgShip Mates H relay (resized).jpg
    The schematic is typically drawn with the game reset and then unplugged. When the game is plugged back in there should be no way to fire the H relay until the SB/Start relay fires. It sounds like the H relay switch on the right side of the schematic is stuck closed or shorted.

The reason your game resumes mid game is because power is getting to the playing/scoring circuits that would normally be cut off by the H relay switch until the H relay fires.

/Mark

#4 2 years ago

Oops. You probably meant the R/115 Volt Hold relay, not the H/30 Volt Hold relay.
    Ship Mates R relay (resized).jpgShip Mates R relay (resized).jpg
    That shouldn't fire unit 120 Volts gets into the transformer which shouldn't happen until the K or W relays are fired by a coin chute.

#5 2 years ago

Yes, the 115v relay. It looks like its triggered by the k or w relays. I can't find anything wrong with them. On your schematic you're showing the R relay in the 25v circuit?

SAM_0745 (resized).JPGSAM_0745 (resized).JPG
    #6 2 years ago

It is in the 25v.

#7 2 years ago

The first think I'd check would be the three parallel switches that can get power to the transformer on the K, R and W relays. All three should be open. One of them could be stuck closed, shorted, or have bent tabs, a solder blob, etc.

#8 2 years ago

Bless you, MarkG. I removed the W relay and took a close look...the upper switch actuator that goes in the notch for the switch above the switch that is parallel to the R relay was at an angle and shorting the switch below it. I put it back in place, and the problem is solved. This is why my wife is always screaming, "why don't you wear your glasses?" I must have looked at that relay 10 times... Thanks for your help.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-ship-mates?hl=lincolnv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.