• Latest reply 6 years ago by DryDock
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180318_222316 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Just picked up a Ship Ahoy and am having a start-up problem. Any other EM machine I have owned if you move the motor, it spins on it's own until the next 120 degrees and stops. Mine will not spin on it's own unless I spin it an inch or so then push the contacts together on the slam switch mounted on the floor beside the motor assembly. Then it will spin until it's supposed to stop as long as I hold the slam switch closed. If I hold the slam switch contacts together and move the motor it will spin and stop each 120 degrees. Holding any of the other cabinet slam switches closed does not do this, just the one next to the score motor. I don't know if all this has anything to do with my start-up problem though. Anyway the credit light is lit and the credit button does nothing, but lights are on. Also previous owner had rewired the coin door so no wires are going anywhere on the door, just runs past the door to the credit button. Any suggestions or links to schematics would be appreciated. I do have a very similar (Both 1976) working Gottlieb Bank-Shot machine right next to the Ship Ahoy so some comparisons can be made, Thanks!
P.S. Got both machines at the same time, my First Gottlieb's...

#2 6 years ago

Here is a link to an old post about the same problem: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ship-ahoy-not-starting

Invest in a schematic. It's well worth it. PBR or Marco.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from DryDock:

Just picked up a Ship Ahoy and am having a start-up problem. Any other EM machine I have owned if you move the motor, it spins on it's own until the next 120 degrees and stops. Mine will not spin on it's own unless I spin it an inch or so then push the contacts together on the slam switch mounted on the floor beside the motor assembly. Then it will spin until it's supposed to stop as long as I hold the slam switch closed. If I hold the slam switch contacts together and move the motor it will spin and stop each 120 degrees. Holding any of the other cabinet slam switches closed does not do this, just the one next to the score motor. I don't know if all this has anything to do with my start-up problem though. Anyway the credit light is lit and the credit button does nothing, but lights are on. Also previous owner had rewired the coin door so no wires are going anywhere on the door, just runs past the door to the credit button. Any suggestions or links to schematics would be appreciated. I do have a very similar (Both 1976) working Gottlieb Bank-Shot machine right next to the Ship Ahoy so some comparisons can be made, Thanks!
P.S. Got both machines at the same time, my First Gottlieb's...

The bounce switch next to the score motor is NC (normally closed) and should only open when the game is abused, like if the front of the game was hoisted and dropped. Bend it closed.

One of the the wires for the start button on the coin door goes to a switch on the credit hold relay and—if this switch is closed—completes the circuit to the start relay, starting a game. Follow this wire along this pathway and look for problems.

#4 6 years ago

Are the bounce switches under the Playfield, behind the backglass, and on the coin door supposed to be normally closed also?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from DryDock:

Are the bounce switches under the Playfield, behind the backglass, and on the coin door supposed to be normally closed also?

The switch under the playfield is a tilt switch. It is NO, normally open. The other switches—backglass and coin door—are NC, normally closed.

#6 6 years ago

So the one mounted to the underside of the Playfield (see photo) is the only one in that is normally open, correct?

20180318_222316 (resized).jpg20180318_222316 (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from DryDock:

So the one mounted to the underside of the Playfield (see photo) is the only one in that is normally open, correct?

Correct.

#8 6 years ago

Well the credit button still does nothing, but now it will reset via the relay. All the solenoids fire but no points are scored except for the spinner. The Spinner scores points and chimes but nothing else, not even the rollovers either score or chime..

#9 6 years ago

Have you checked the Jones plugs? There are some in the back bottom of the cabinet and in the back box.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from DryDock:

Well the credit button still does nothing, but now it will reset via the relay. All the solenoids fire but no points are scored except for the spinner. The Spinner scores points and chimes but nothing else, not even the rollovers either score or chime..

Do you have credits on the Credit unit? I'd have to see a high quality scan of the schematic.

#11 6 years ago

We have scoring and most everything is working, so I'm going to have to assume it's just a bunch of cleaning from here on out. There is what I could only call a mini stepper unit with 1 relay for controlling chasing lights. Does anyone know what this part is called, or where I could get some of it's internal plastic parts, or the entire.unit from?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from DryDock:

We have scoring and most everything is working, so I'm going to have to assume it's just a bunch of cleaning from here on out. There is what I could only call a mini stepper unit with 1 relay for controlling chasing lights. Does anyone know what this part is called, or where I could get some of it's internal plastic parts, or the entire.unit from?

That’s called an “AS Relay” and Pinball Resource sells replacement parts for it. The entire unit is unavailable, unless you find one from another Ship Ahoy. They are specific to the game and not interchangeable.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from DryDock:

There is a pathway from the coin door switch to the start relay. Follow it (based on wire colors) to find where/why the button is not working.

The schematic is invaluable and I recommend buying one. It will help you understand your game better and tell you where to look when troubleshooting problems with it. There is an original on eBay right now.

ebay.com link: i

#14 6 years ago

I did find that "AS" relay on pinball resource. Mine seems to work when I actuate it by hand, but I don't even know when this relay gets energized. How do I know when this thing is supposed to do what it's supposed to do? Before the machine started working I could actuate this relay by hand and yellow lights would move around. Now I don't get any yellow lights at all. Does anyone know exactly how/when this is supposed to work?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from DryDock:

I did find that "AS" relay on pinball resource. Mine seems to work when I actuate it by hand, but I don't even know when this relay gets energized. How do I know when this thing is supposed to do what it's supposed to do? Before the machine started working I could actuate this relay by hand and yellow lights would move around. Now I don't get any yellow lights at all. Does anyone know exactly how/when this is supposed to work?

The spinner makes the AS relay step.

#16 6 years ago

You guys are the best! Thanks so much! The non working "AS" relay turned out to be a dirty Jones plug. Got everything working aside from a couple of light bulb sockets, which I found if I put a small "BB" of solder on the tip of the bulb (& a wire wheel on the bulb body) will fix 95% of the dim lights out there!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-ship-ahoy-start-up-problem?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.