20190924_150136 (resized).jpg
20190924_150143 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161221_090406279 (resized).jpg
IMG_2941.jpg
IMG_2939.jpg
SerNumHiding.jpg
IMG_2929small.jpg
#1 10 years ago

The factory sticker on my Gott Grand Slam has the serial number defaced. Does the number appear any where else on a '72 EM?

IMG_2929small.jpgIMG_2929small.jpg

A buddy owns a graphic shop and is a master photo restorer. He is going to look 'deeper' into the label to see if any hints remain. So there is hope if the # isn't anywhere else.

#2 10 years ago

1) Punch stamped into the wood on the front of the cabinet, below the coin door.

2) Ink stamped onto the top of the backbox

3) Ink stamped onto the top of the wood brace behind the cashbox, but underneath the operator tag:
SerNumHiding.jpgSerNumHiding.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Serial numbers for Gottlieb machines of your vintage are in the following places.
Painted Stamped on the top of the backbox. Paint Stamped on the cross brace next to the coin box area. Also it should be stamped into the front panel on the cabinet. Just below the coin door or to the left of the coin door.

Ahhh nuts! I was not fast enough.

#4 10 years ago

If you need a new label, Clay has kindly scanned in one available here:
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/gtb_certificate60s.jpg
(this is for the 70's era games, though he has mislabeled it for the 60's)
I have opened these in photoshop to add the game's name and serial number-if you have one!

#5 10 years ago

I remember seeing a web site devoted to pinball serial numbers at one time

#6 10 years ago

Is it this one? http://www.ipsnd.net/Default.aspx (it's the only one I have bookmarked)

Steve

Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

I remember seeing a web site devoted to pinball serial numbers at one time

#7 10 years ago

When i saw the number on top I (duh) thought it was a date of manufacture.

IMG_2939.jpgIMG_2939.jpg

Any meaning to the first character - the upside down 'u' with the accent mark?

The label in the cabinet was extremely brittle and when lifted turned to almost dust - another recreation to be done.

IMG_2941.jpgIMG_2941.jpg

So when I recreate the playfield SN# sticker (( thanks for the link stashyboy, saw that a while back when I first explored Clay's site and had forgotten about it) do I us a "0" 0r a "u like with accent" or neither??

Also IPBDB lists this for the Grand Slam:
1972-08 Grand Slam Gottlieb EM 3,600

So obviously they did not start at 1 0r 1000 if mine is 5172. Any revelations as to when this one was made in relation to the run of manufacture -- could it be #52 in 1972, or they started at 5000 and this is 172 or "no idea". If the run started in August (08) -- how long did it take the factory to knock out 3600 of these?

Thanks
-- Tom

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from zaphod:

Any meaning to the first character - the upside down 'u' with the accent mark?

I'm going to guess that what you see is the top half of the 0 and the tail of a 9. When the stamp was pressed into the back box, the numbering wheel was out of place.

#9 10 years ago

Most of the production runs for Gottlieb (but not all) seem to start at 03000, so your game would be closer to the end of the run. Agree with Darcy, the stamp was simply not centered on the zero when they stamped it. (showing the bottom of a 9 as well)

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

I'm going to guess that what you see is the top half of the 0 and the tail of a 9. When the stamp was pressed into the back box, the numbering wheel was out of place.

yes - that's what it is. Should be a 0, but it's 'rolling over'.

#11 10 years ago

Looking at what's been reported in the Internet Pinball Serial Number Database:

http://www.ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=1078

I'd guess they started at 05000, and so yours is closer to the beginning. (The first two reported seem like anomalies to me.)

#12 10 years ago

Thanks guys. Wonder why they traditionally started with 3000? Any idea how long it took the factory to do a run of 3-4000 machines? Find the production process fascinating.

Yep -- Sometimes I miss the obvious! Does look like a 5000 start with this machine.

So the incomplete roll over stamp -- like when they misprint currency, must be very rare and increases the value greatly, right!

#13 10 years ago

05172 is your serial number.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from zaphod:

Thanks guys. Wonder why they traditionally started with 3000? Any idea how long it took the factory to do a run of 3-4000 machines? Find the production process fascinating.
Yep -- Sometimes I miss the obvious! Does look like a 5000 start with this machine.
So the incomplete roll over stamp -- like when they misprint currency, must be very rare and increases the value greatly, right!

considering they were producing around 35-40 thousand machines in 1972, less than a month for the whole run... new machines were introduced at least once a month (ah, the good old days)...

the misprint sn at least triples the value of the machine...

2 years later
#15 7 years ago

Digging up an old thread...

I just reprinted the High Score Adjustment label stapled in the backbox of my Gottlieb Volley and noticed that the serial number was printed on the back of the original label. I wonder if this was a secret serial number location that has only just been discovered?!

I just checked the High Score Adjustment label in my Abra Ca Dabra and the serial number is printed on the back as well.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Digging up an old thread...
I just reprinted the High Score Adjustment label stapled in the backbox of my Gottlieb Volley and noticed that the serial number was printed on the back of the original. I wonder if this was a secret serial number location that has only just been discovered?!
I just checked the High Score Adjustment label in my Abra Ca Dabra and the serial number is printed on the back as well.

i think you are seeing the stamp for the part number of the cabinet head
something like d-XXXX

#17 7 years ago

It is definitely the serial number...unless by some fluke the serial number of my game is the same as the cabinet head part number

IMG_20161221_090406279 (resized).jpgIMG_20161221_090406279 (resized).jpg

#18 7 years ago

i totally miss read your post. i thought you where talking about a stamp on the wood of the cabinet. i see now it was stamped on the back of the replay adjustment card.
now i have removed quite a few of those and never saw the stamp on one. i have even removed those from volley and abra and they did not have a stamp..... very curious

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i totally miss read your post. i thought you where talking about a stamp on the wood of the cabinet. i see now it was stamped on the back of the replay adjustment card.
now i have removed quite a few of those and never saw the stamp on one. i have even removed those from volley and abra and they did not have a stamp..... very curious

Wonder if this is for Canadian or export pins only? Might have to check a few of my games. It does seem odd.

A good guess would have to do with the export games paper work matching the export pin on the assembly line. The possibility of the Adjustment Card being the top of all of the required papers, the line worker grabs the papers, checks the VIN, starts to staple the card into the game and place the other papers into the cabinet.

Interesting new find there Woz.

#20 7 years ago

Why do I have the sudden urge to go home and start removing these cards from my machines to see if there is a serial number stamped on the backs of them????

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

Why do I have the sudden urge to go home and start removing these cards from my machines to see if there is a serial number stamped on the backs of them????

Don't resist the urge... we need to know!

#22 7 years ago

i have 2 asteroid annies from canada. but no em's to check.....

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i have 2 asteroid annies from canada. but no em's to check.....

Send them back!

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Send them back!

send my your address and i will send them asap

#25 7 years ago

Just checked the back of my Volley label, and.....the serial number is there! I don't have any reason to think my machine was ever out of the U.S.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from woz:

It is definitely the serial number...unless by some fluke the serial number of my game is the same as the cabinet head part number

Gottlieb was known to print serial numbers in random hidden places. I don't know how true this story is, but I heard somewhere that someone found a serial number on the playfield of a game which was only visible under a blacklight. I think it was on a "Sweet Hearts".
I've seen them stamped behind the tilt assembly board, and other various odd places. There seems to be no consistency to this practice though.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I've seen them stamped behind the tilt assembly board, and other various odd places. There seems to be no consistency to this practice though

I have found them behind the tilt board but only on games around the 1968-70 time frame.
I go over the games I get with a black light to see if any pf touchups have been done. I never seen a serial number but that does sound interesting jr. I wonder if this serial number on the score card was a mid 70's thing? I will have to look at my un restored games that I did not remove to see if any have it.

#28 7 years ago

After carefully removing 2 staples out of the Adjustment label, on my Sky Jump. There was a stamped matching serial number, on the back of the card.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

After carefully removing 2 staples out of the Adjustment label, on my Sky Jump. There was a stamped matching serial number.

very interesting, i wonder at what game they stated doing it?

2 years later
#30 4 years ago

Resurrecting an old thread.
I found a hidden serial number on the back of the score adjustment card on a "Top Card" I'm working on.

20190924_150143 (resized).jpg20190924_150143 (resized).jpg20190924_150136 (resized).jpg20190924_150136 (resized).jpg
#31 4 years ago

This is from a Double Action... Im trying to determine if the 1st character is a number 0, letter O or letter D. The paint was scratched off when I picked up the game. I check other locations but cant find another stamp.

Seriel number (resized).jpgSeriel number (resized).jpg
#32 4 years ago
Quoted from smohr:

This is from a Double Action... Im trying to determine if the 1st character is a number 0, letter O or letter D. The paint was scratched off when I picked up the game. I check other locations but cant find another stamp.[quoted image]

I'd say its a D.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from smohr:

This is from a Double Action... Im trying to determine if the 1st character is a number 0, letter O or letter D. The paint was scratched off when I picked up the game. I check other locations but cant find another stamp.[quoted image]

It does look like a "D". Gottlieb serial numbers are usually five digits, and the woodrails often have the game name's initials after the number. I haven’t seen a preceding letter on one before, but I'm not any kind of serial number expert.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

It does look like a "D". Gottlieb serial numbers are usually five digits, and the woodrails often have the game name's initials after the number. I haven’t seen a preceding letter on one before, but I'm not any kind of serial number expert.

i agree with JR, The DA at the end makes sense the D in the front doesn't and if it was a 0 that would make it a 6 digit SN. they only made 1000 of them and according to IPSND there was one listed with a "D" as a prefix (this one) and 3 with a "A" prefix.... typo maybe?

#35 4 years ago

look at the wooden cross member were the PF glass slides under it should have a serial number stamped there also

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I found a hidden serial number on the back of the score adjustment card on a "Top Card" I'm working on.

I also found the serial number of my Gottlieb Atlantis on the backside of the same card; I wonder how many years they did this?

#37 4 years ago

Hmmm, this is the only place I can find the SN. I pulled all the bigger stapled cards in the machine... nothin...

20190926_075230 (resized).jpg20190926_075230 (resized).jpg
#38 4 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i agree with JR, The DA at the end makes sense the D in the front doesn't and if it was a 0 that would make it a 6 digit SN. they only made 1000 of them and according to IPSND there was one listed with a "D" as a prefix (this one) and 3 with a "A" prefix.... typo maybe?

This was curious to me so I looked at some of my submissions from the late 50s GTBs I have and they did appear to have a letter in front of the number for a while, and the number is different for each game: Lighting Ball was M; Auto Race E; and so on. So smohr's game seems to fit that pattern.

I believe it's a D also...I think those 'A's on IPSNDB are all suspect - two are from "pinball eric" who has tons of entries and I think was someone's list that was uploaded initially, along with The Internet Pinball Project's, and the other has a pic of a number written in Sharpie-of-the-day on the underside of the PF...so who knows where that came from. Since smohr's is obviously a D, I'd conclude those others are all wrong...

Is there a scribbled one on the underside of your PF smohr?

#39 4 years ago

No scribble on the underside of the PF or the underside of the cabinet or between the bottom board and the cabinet bottom. I'll keep searching as time permits and when maintaining, maybe I'll stumble on it.

8 months later
#40 3 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I found a hidden serial number on the back of the score adjustment card on a "Top Card" I'm working on

That's my zip code

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
$ 25.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-serial-numbers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.