Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FullSizeRender (resized).jpg
IMG_9396 (resized).JPG
IMG_9389 (resized).JPG
IMG_9386 (resized).JPG
IMG_9385 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I tried using some craft foam in the Silhouette Cameo (hobby-grade desktop plotter) to make a serial number stamp for a GTB Gold Strike I'm repainting. It turned out pretty good, so I thought I'd share with others.

Months ago, before stripping the paint off the cabinet, I scanned the serial number from the top of Gold Strike's litebox. Initially I tried to find a good font to match the Gottlieb stamp. None could be found, so I ended up tracing the scanned serial number in Adobe Illustrator. Before bringing the shape into Silhouette Studio for cutting, I mirrored the image so it would print correctly.

I then cut the number on a sheet of 22cm adhesive-backed foam I picked up at Michaels. This stuff is a little too thick for the Cameo, but it still cuts most of the way through. I used an x-acto knife to trim the remainder of the foam. This resulted in some jagged edges, but it was confined to the bottom of the stamp. Only the top half needed to be sharp to make a good impression.

The butt end of a 2x4 was the perfect size to accommodate all the numbers, so I affixed them to fashion a good stamp. To figure out the right amount of acrylic paint, I made a couple of test impressions on a piece of cardboard. I learned the second impression yielded the best results. The first was too dense. Three and four were too light. But two was just right.

Here are some pics. One pic has Gold Strike sitting in front of Centigrade 37, which has a factory stamp on it for comparison.

Silhouette StudioSilhouette Studio
2x4 Stamp2x4 Stamp
Test ResultsTest Results
Gold Strike and Centigrade 37Gold Strike and Centigrade 37
Serial Number StampSerial Number Stamp

#2 7 years ago

I've never seen anyone do this. Nicely done!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#3 7 years ago

Thanks, Chris!

I have a Dimension cabinet to do next, but the serial number is gone from the top of the litebox. It would be great if a font was found that matches the style used by Gottlieb. Then I could cut entire sheets filled with numbers 0-9 to use on future projects and share with other restorers.

#4 7 years ago

Yes, agree looking great. In my experience though, I have found them to often be more blurred/ smudged than yours.

#5 7 years ago

It's a serial number.

#6 7 years ago

That's a nice approach. I have used a plastic alphabet stencil with a near correct font & size obtained from stationers. Then to get the more blurred effect mentioned by stashyboy shaded in using a black wide pen sharpie. Away from home at moment otherwise would post a pic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Venice, FL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-serial-number-stamp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.