You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture.JPG
SeaShore1964.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 8 years ago

Hi.

I'm having a problem with Gottlieb Sea Shore. I recently acquired it, and it's almost working 100%. This is my first EM, and I'm learning a lot along the way!! I've restored a few other SS machines, but EM's are different beasts (and I like 'em).

I know now that I started ass-backwards in my troubleshooting, and my next EM restore will go smoother (like I'll begin with the startup sequence instead of bendin...er, CLEANING switches..... HaHa.
I've also learned that those darn 0-9 and credit units work wayyyy better once you squirt some Rosonol into the shafts. It's simply amazing what that'll do.....

So here's my problem - I can't get any of the stationary bumpers or side switches to score (I believe that they score 1 point). I do have the schematic, but it's been hard getting used to the way it reads (i.e. my brain is more like a #47 bulb than a #44).

Any help is greatly appreciated. I've created a pdf of the schematic, here it is.

Thanks, GeoSeaShore1964.pdfSeaShore1964.pdf

#2 8 years ago

When you say side switches, do you mean the switches to the left or right of the flippers?

Do any of the pop bumpers score 10 points when lit?

Typically in these situations, I would check to make sure that all playfield switches are properly adjusted. Make sure that none are shorted in any way.

Then I would individually verify that any 10 point switch can score. Based on the IPDB photo, the thumper bumpers (stationary) should only score when they are lit. Otherwise, I would expect them to score 1 point.

If no 10 point switch scores, then you need to check out the 10 point relay. There may be an issue with it.

That's just a starting point. Good luck with your repair!

Marcus

#3 8 years ago

Hi, thanks for the info!

When I say "side switches", I mean it's a single switch behind a rubber band on both sides of the playfield and surrounding the roto-target. Not sure what they're called in pinball terms.

I've looked, there are no shorted switches. Thanks for reminding me, the pop bumpers work, but they don't score anything. Based on the schematic, should the pop and stationary bumper lights be lit when powering on the machine and after the start sequence? If so, then there might be an issue with "G" and "J" coils not actuating on startup.

I can get 10 points to score with lane rollovers, but that's the only scoring being done. Kickers, pops, and targets don't score. My roto-targets spin, but don't score.

Thanks Marcus,

Geo

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Geo_B_Tilt:

Hi, thanks for the info!
When I say "side switches", I mean it's a single switch behind a rubber band on both sides of the playfield and surrounding the roto-target. Not sure what they're called in pinball terms.
I've looked, there are no shorted switches. Thanks for reminding me, the pop bumpers work, but they don't score anything. Based on the schematic, should the pop and stationary bumper lights be lit when powering on the machine and after the start sequence? If so, then there might be an issue with "G" and "J" coils not actuating on startup.
I can get 10 points to score with lane rollovers, but that's the only scoring being done. Kickers, pops, and targets don't score. My roto-targets spin, but don't score.
Thanks Marcus,
Geo

Have you cleaned the contact points on the switches?

If none of them score, then you most likely have one stuck.

In the head, you should be able to find the 1PT, 10PT and 100PT relays.

During a game, manually activate each relay. This will let you know if your relays are in good order.

If the 10PT relay actually scores, then the next place I would check is the jones plugs. Pull them out and give them a good cleaning.

If you are not using pinrepair.com, then I suggest you visit the EM section. It is, in my opinion, the best online source for EM repair.

I'll check back tomorrow to see if you have any more updates.

Good luck!

Marcus

#5 8 years ago

Hi, Marcus.

I should have mentioned, I've cleaned every contact in the machine, and none are stuck. The 1, 10, and 100's all score when manually tripped. All Jones plugs were cleaned. There is no more "flakiness" when I slap the side of the machine, I chased all of that down. I found one dodgy fuse holder and changed it out. I'll poke around and update.

Thanks

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Geo_B_Tilt:

I've created a pdf of the schematic, here it is.

Quoting small relevant portions/snippets of the schematic would be preferable, to avoid the copyright issues on Gottlieb schematics.

#7 8 years ago

Check the normally closed switch at score motor position 1C. That feeds most of the scoring.

#8 8 years ago

DirtFlipper,

Thanks for that tip about 1C, I'm going to go look.

As for the copyright issue - sorry, I had no idea about that, I'll be careful in the future!

Thanks, Geo

#9 8 years ago

Ok, I made great progress today - the "M" and "N" relays score 1 and 10 points for the roto targets and lane rollovers. Thanks to Marcus, I solved the problem with the pop bumpers being continually lit (previous owner had the switchblades on G and J bent on). Now all logic works for scoring, and the pop bumpers light according to score. My alternating relay is now working, there was a dirty switch in top left rollover lane.

The only issues remaining are:

1) The player 1 "100 point" wheel won't turn over. It scores 100 points on its own. I cleaned all switches and contacts in the 10 and 100 wheels, and still nothing. The 10 point wheel is supposed to roll over the 100 wheel at 99, right?

2) The switches in the attached picture highlited in yellow still won't score 1 point. I checked and cleaned M and N coil, and 1C in the motor, it is clean and closed and should be working. The roto target scores 1 point, 5 points, 10 points just like it should, so the relays work. But the kickers, pop bumpers, stationary rollover bumpers, and 1 point switches will not score 1 point. Any ideas?Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Geo_B_Tilt:

The switches in the attached picture highlited in yellow still won't score 1 point.

The Kicking Rubber switches go to the M relay, so those should score 10 points, not 1.

But the four 1pt switches certainly should (the pop bumpers will, but are conditional based on the state of G or J).

Since motor 1C, the 1pt contacts, and the N relay are in three different sections of the game (cab, playfield, backbox), there are probably two Jones plugs in the mix. Probably a good time to break out the meter and check continuity along each segment, or use an alligator jumper wire to bypass sections of it until a signal reaches from motor 1C to N.

And double check it's the correct switch on motor 1C.

#11 8 years ago

DirtFlipper,

Right you are!

1C was the culprit..... I cleaned that contact twice before, but when I put my magnifier lenses on, there was a tiny black speck of crud on the center of the contact. This speck was enough to prevent 14 contacts from working! Thank you, lesson learned - on EM's, most issues are due to dirty contacts.

So I still have one problem - Player 1's 100 wheel won't trip from the 10 reel - does anyone have any ideas? Player 2 works fine. I cleaned the copper traces with emory paper, and all other contacts on the 100 wheel and the 10 wheel. There are two relays, O and P, which are both "1st and 2nd player scoring control relay". I've cleaned them and gapped them both. I can see no reference to the motor, could it be something on the balls played unit?

Thanks

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Geo_B_Tilt:

DirtFlipper,
Right you are!
1C was the culprit..... I cleaned that contact twice before, but when I put my magnifier lenses on, there was a tiny black speck of crud on the center of the contact. This speck was enough to prevent 14 contacts from working! Thank you, lesson learned - on EM's, most issues are due to dirty contacts.
So I still have one problem - Player 1's 100 wheel won't trip from the 10 reel - does anyone have any ideas? Player 2 works fine. I cleaned the copper traces with emory paper, and all other contacts on the 100 wheel and the 10 wheel. There are two relays, O and P, which are both "1st and 2nd player scoring control relay". I've cleaned them and gapped them both. I can see no reference to the motor, could it be something on the balls played unit?
Thanks

Will the score advance from 99 to 100 on a 1 pt score?

I would verify the zero position on the 10s reel.

One method of troubleshooting that I would follow is to set both players's reels to 90.

Then compare the 10 reels. Really examine the switches. See if they are identical. If not, correct P1 to match P2.

If they are identical, then I would use a metal file and clean the zero position contact.

Let me know if this helps at all.

Marcus

#13 8 years ago

I will reiterate what Marcus suggested. Use a small metal file to clean points. Don't be aggressive with it unless they are tungsten points. I struggle with using a flex stone file. They leave their own debris behind in my opinion.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Geo_B_Tilt:

DirtFlipper,
Right you are!
Thanks

10s reel 9 position switch. Check it. Since player two works it's not the relay.

#15 8 years ago

I've been following this thread and not to hijack it but I think this problem helped me solve my problem with my Gottlieb 1964 World Fair. See other thread. Score motor 1C dirty contacts. Thanks guys.

#16 8 years ago

Philly, you're right, it was 1C causing my initial problem. Now I'm trying to fix my score reels so they count from 9 to 10, 99 to 100, etc.....

Marcus, they do not advance from 99 to 100. I also compared, the switch positions are matching from player 1 to 2, and I cleaned them. I didn't realize before, but my ones wheel won't trip the tens wheel on either P1 or P2. The only wheel that advances the next wheel is on the player 2 10's wheel, it will trip the 100's wheel.

All wheels work when manually tripping the solenoids. So is there other places, like 1C, where the issue might lie? I'm sort of understanding the schematic, but could use expert advice.

MikeO, thanks for the tip, I've been using a point file gently. I don't own a flex stone.

EMsInKC, at 9 it should be open, right? (just going by memory, not at my machine right now).

Thanks to everyone for their input!

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Geo_B_Tilt:

Philly, you're right, it was 1C causing my initial problem. Now I'm trying to fix my score reels so they count from 9 to 10, 99 to 100, etc.....
Marcus, they do not advance from 99 to 100. I also compared, the switch positions are matching from player 1 to 2, and I cleaned them. I didn't realize before, but my ones wheel won't trip the tens wheel on either P1 or P2. The only wheel that advances the next wheel is on the player 2 10's wheel, it will trip the 100's wheel.
All wheels work when manually tripping the solenoids. So is there other places, like 1C, where the issue might lie? I'm sort of understanding the schematic, but could use expert advice.
MikeO, thanks for the tip, I've been using a point file gently. I don't own a flex stone.
EMsInKC, at 9 it should be open, right? (just going by memory, not at my machine right now).
Thanks to everyone for their input!

Nine position switch should be closed at 9. It has to be closed to carry the current needed.

Reels rolling over is a function of two things, 9 position switch, and a switch on the score reel relay that must be closed along with the 9 position switch to send power to the relay of the next reel up. So, if your 10s reel is at 9, the 9 position switch has to be closed. When another 10 points is scored, a switch on the 10 point relay closes and in combination with the 9 position switch, sends power to the 100 point relay, which activates the 100s score reel to click over to the 1 position.

#18 8 years ago

Good luck with yours. My problem is back. I have no idea now.

#19 8 years ago

All issues solved! Cleaned all 9 position switches and good to go. Also, previous owner had the small aluminum 3 screw lockdown on player 1's 1-9 reel on the inside of the wheel instead of the outside, I'm not sure if this was causing a contact issue. I want to thank everyone for helping out, it's been a blast getting this machine 100%.

Phillyfan64, the only advice that I can give is to use a point file to clean 1C motor contacts, and re-bend them to make better contact. It took me 3 tries and a visual inspection with a magnifying glass to get all of the dirt off. Also, give the side of your machine a good slap, and if it flakes out, it's a dirty contact.

Geo

#20 8 years ago

Congrats on fixing yours. I'll keep at it with mine. I thought I had it a couple times but it keeps coming back. I have to pick up a magnifying glass so I can see what I'm doing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sea-shore-1964-problem-with-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.