20150423_200617.jpg
20150423_200626.jpg
00A0A_j3UkgOcoTI4_600x450.jpeg
pics of Docs games 007.JPG
pics of Docs games 005.JPG
KIMG0135.jpg
KIMG0140.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Picked up a Williams Scuba pin today. BG and both look pretty nice. Just needs a good clean/adjust and need to find a lockdown bar for it.
Guy I got it from said he had it for over 35 years. Odd thing is that it is in the wrong cab. I think the cab it is in is for an Orbit. Any chance they used up some old scuba part sets in a different cab at the factory? Or is it most likely a transplant? Seemed weird since guy owned it so long like that.

Also - gotta love the backdoor wall paperKIMG0140.jpgKIMG0140.jpgKIMG0135.jpgKIMG0135.jpg

#2 9 years ago

scuba sept 1970 and out of space feb 1972, would say far too large a gap in production for gottlieb to use..

though have always loved scuba's backglass

#3 9 years ago

True...
Kinda wish it was a single player wedgehead though...would have look great next to my Williams reserve!

#4 9 years ago

The Scuba cab is pretty generic anyway. I know someone in Florida who had a Scuba with a painted over cabinet. The Pinball Pimp created him some custom stencils with fish and scuba divers that looks awesome - way better than the original cabinet. Maybe he would sell you a set...

#5 9 years ago

FYI, you're better keeping the backbox upright for transportation if you can secure it that way - the glass will be less likely to break, I believe.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks for the advise Collin
I always wind up doing diff things.,ive taken glass out and wrapped, put head in back,sewt, wrapped with moving blanket and pallet wrap, layed, stood up......idk what works best.Guess whichever way gets it there safe.
I only drove like 5 miles like that.

Some better graphics sound like a fun idea for a messed up already cab
Idk if I could bring myself to painting over nice original cab though :/
Even if it isnt the coolest...

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

I think the cab it is in is for an Orbit.

That is an Outer Space cabinet, the two player version of Orbit.

It is dimensionally and functionally correct for Scuba.

Also, I'm with Collin in that you really want to keep the head upright when transporting. The glass is most stable on edge and most protected in the head. I position the front of the head all the way forward in the bed of the pickup with some padding, like cardboard or moving blankets, between it and the bed edge. Then put the back end of the body right up to it. Lightly strap the body in so it won't flop around.

#8 9 years ago

Funny I never heard of Scuba, but saw this post after I saw this Craigslist "gem" for sale in my hometown.

atlanta.craigslist.org link

I did not know these go for $2000?

#9 9 years ago

That's a Gottlieb Scuba (not Williams) in an Outer Space cabinet as Mike O said. Nice grab for $100. I was in the south Chicago area last week and called that guy and he said he was out of town that day so I missed it.

#10 9 years ago

Gottlieb not williams? Confused I guess. Both this one and the one on atlanta CL are a Gottlieb Scuba.
Mikeo-just curious, how do you know its a outer-space cab and not an orbit? Isnt it the same cab?

#11 9 years ago

Outer Space is a two player game like Scuba. Orbit is a four player game and the head is taller than a two player game. If it was an Orbit cabinet/head there would be a gap at the top or bottom of the backglass.

#12 9 years ago

I just helped a guy sell his Outer Space recently. Here's a couple pics. You can go to "The Internet Pinball Database" and search for any of these games.

pics of Docs games 005.JPGpics of Docs games 005.JPG
pics of Docs games 007.JPGpics of Docs games 007.JPG

#13 9 years ago

Hoov - I re-read my first post, sorry. I meant Gottlieb...idk why I typed williams....that explains your comment. Thanks.

MikeO - thanks for the insight on 2P vs 4P. In all the pins I have worked on, I can't believe that I never paid attention to heads being different. Guess I never put a 2 next to a 4 before

1 month later
#14 9 years ago

Sorry to piggyback but I am going to look at a Scuba that is also in the wrong cabinet! Any idea what cabinet this is?

00A0A_j3UkgOcoTI4_600x450.jpeg00A0A_j3UkgOcoTI4_600x450.jpeg

#15 9 years ago

Has that original cabinet been re-painted? That pattern doesn't look like something Gottlieb used from that era - looks like someone's idea of their own art. Plus, you have to have the exact Gottlieb head from that era for the glass to fit.

Can you look under the legs, under the coin door, inside the cabinet, etc., to tell if has been re-painted?

#16 9 years ago

I'm in agreement with Hoov. Looks like a repaint. Probably the original cabinet under that paint.

#17 9 years ago

I'll take a closer look...here is a couple more pics.20150423_200617.jpg20150423_200617.jpg20150423_200626.jpg20150423_200626.jpg

#18 9 years ago

Here is a good one of it's side.
20150423_200605.jpg20150423_200605.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-scubain-wrong-cab and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.