Gottlieb Score Relay

By Wickerman2

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Trying to revive a Gottlieb Atlantis that was stored for 14 years(!). I have a fully working Atlantis to use as reference which helps.....so the latest issue I'm on is that when a 500 point feature is engaged the score motor rotates and the 500 point relay engages and the score motor advances--all looks good BUT no points go on the board and no chimes sound. I've got the "button" rollovers and lower slingshots scoring and sounding off, but the rest of the board advances motor but no points go up(rollovers, drop targets etc.). Now, every switch that I have cleaned has been dirrrrty. So, is there a switch on the score motor that I should be looking at or is this all in the 500 point relay(I've cleaned that relay already)---OR is this an adjustment on the 500 relay or score motor?

#2 9 years ago

Check your motor switches and clean each one. Also clean the 500 point relay and switches. Had same problem with top card and it was dirty switches.

#3 9 years ago

On Atlantis there are two 500pt relays (C and D). They're split among the white drop targets and the blue drop targets as well as the rollovers. So when you say the 500 pt relay engages, which one? (Or both, depending on which target is hit.)

But, assuming that C and D are activating, to reach the M relay (100 pt) and score it five times, the path goes through a score motor switch at 1A (to get the five pulses), and then has to go through make/break switches on E, D, and C in series.

So check the score motor switch at 1A, and the make/break switches on each of C, D, and E. One or more are likely dirty/open.

#4 9 years ago

Cleaned score motor switches--most of them. That seemed to solve the 500 pt issue!!...but...somehow the rollover number sequence lights stopped lighting(that WAS working) afterwards. I'll get back at it tomorrow. May start a new thread to try to figure out other items, like why pressing the start button does absolutely nothing and I have to press start relay to get the game going.

#5 9 years ago

Games that have been sitting that long are generally going to need all the switch stacks tightened, and all the switches cleaned and gapped. So even the start button path involves eight switches in series that all have to be closed in order to complete the path to the Start relay. Each need to be checked/cleaned.

Just peek at the schematic starting at the Start relay and follow it left to right, working through each switch along the path back to the transformer.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Games that have been sitting that long are generally going to need all the switch stacks tightened, and all the switches cleaned and gapped. So even the start button path involves eight switches in series that all have to be closed in order to complete the path to the Start relay. Each need to be checked/cleaned.

Just peek at the schematic starting at the Start relay and follow it left to right, working through each switch along the path back to the transformer.

Thanks for the heads up. Will check the schematic when it arrives(ordered one earlier this week).

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

OK, got the start button to work(switch was open that needed to be closed). NOW, the F relay in the backbox runs forever until I manually hit the A relay(reset completed)...the score reels all zero out but then the little F relay stepper just keeps on clicking around. If I hit the reset completed relay, it'll kick out a ball and start.

Tried cleaning the A relay and I cleaned the surface of the F relay (sanded and alcohol wiped). Any thoughts? I'm closing in on having cleaned every switch practically.

#8 9 years ago

The 'F' relay (00-90 unit mini stepper) is supposed to be activated by the Thousands (L) relay (i.e., the 00-90 unit steps whenever 1000pts are scored.

However, the path is shared with the reset path, and so the F relay is also activated whenever a switch on the A relay is closed and score motor switch 1A is closed.

So if the A relay is latched, the switch will close, the score motor will be running, score motor switch 1A will be pulsing closed, and F will be stepping. The AR relay needs to activate at the completion of reset to unlatch A.

Is the AR relay not activating on its own to unlatch A? Is the score motor continuing to run even after all the score reels are reset to 0?

#9 9 years ago

It doesn't appear to be activating to unlatch A and yes score motor is still running after score reels to zero. If I manually unlatch A things will stop.

#10 9 years ago

Found this response of yours regarding AR relay...could this be a gap issue with A/AR or a 2B problem if the AR is not activating? Tomorrow I will unclip the relay and start machine and watch more closely the AR but now the F only stops when I reach under A and tap it to unlatch/latch.

Quoted from DirtFlipper:

When the A relay is activated, this armature plate is pulled in. The yellow arrow is point to the armature plate of the AR relay. When the armature plate of the A relay pulls in, the armature plate of the AR relay pops up and latches the A relay armature plate in.

One thing to bear in mind is that neither the A or AR relays are locked in electrically. They are activated by switches closing, which briefly energize the coil, pulling the armature plates, and then the coils de-energize. So the only thing holding the plates is mechanical at that point.

When the A armature is latched in, the switches change state. If the plate isn't pulled in far enough, or if the switches aren't gapped correctly, then they may not change state (e.g., close or open).

The A relay controls the reset of the score reels. If the switches don't close, then the score reels don't reset. Usually this is an indication that the plate didn't get pulled in, or the switches have gap issues (or both).

The AR relay activates when all the score reels have reached the zero position, and score motor 2B closes. When AR activates, the armature plate is pulled in, which clears the way for the A relay armature plate to pop back out (unlatch). If the AR relay activates a subsequent time, it will have no effect on A, since A hasn't activated.

#11 9 years ago

On Atlantis, the AR activates under the same conditions as I noted above (which was for an El Dorado): all score reels have reached 0, and the 'reset' switch on each reel is closed (aka zero position switch, switch on the bottom of the score reel switch stack), and then score motor switch 2B closes.

So chances are that one or more of those switches isn't closing and/or is dirty.

The F relay running is just a side effect. Usually the focus point/symptom is that the score motor keeps running, and reset isn't finishing. That's really the thing you're debugging. But it sounds like it's just that AR isn't activating, which is likely one or more of the switches as mentioned.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

On Atlantis, the AR activates under the same conditions as I noted above (which was for an El Dorado): all score reels have reached 0, and the 'reset' switch on each reel is closed (aka zero position switch, switch on the bottom of the score reel switch stack), and then score motor switch 2B closes.

So chances are that one or more of those switches isn't closing and/or is dirty.

The F relay running is just a side effect. Usually the focus point/symptom is that the score motor keeps running, and reset isn't finishing. That's really the thing you're debugging. But it sounds like it's just that AR isn't activating, which is likely one or more of the switches as mentioned.

Re-cleaned most of the switches with a new flexstone and after about 20 failed attempts it finally worked(4 times in a row so far)! Thanks for the advice, really helped out. I'd say I'm about 75% there. I can start game(reset completes!!), scores reset, ball ejects, ball counts correctly and game ends. Everything scores correctly. The Special lights light up but no special ever occurs. No knocker ever occurs for anything. The rollover lights for the top 3 rollovers aren't lighting yet but it will advance the bonus/number sequence. The lights for the 3 "non-drop" targets don't light and don't appear to advance bonus...they all score though. Targets on/off buttons score and light but don't turn on a bonus light anywhere.

SO, few more things to go but a lot better than just backbox lights and nothing else which was where I started. I'll keep tracking down the relays and cleaning as I go and see if I get stonewalled again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-score-relay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.