3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Red
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Baseball Reset relay (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I have a single player Gottlieb Baseball EM that's seems to start but the score reels don't completely reset to zero. I can turn the machine on, coin it up and press the start button. The machine goes through the start up process but only resets the score reels by one digit and the game will start and seems to work properly. Example, if a score reel is on 5 the reset process only drops it to 4 and I can start a game. This happens with any of the score reels. I've checked and cleaned the switches on the reels. If I hold the reset bank in manually the reels will run down to zero as they should. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 3 years ago

Check to see if there is a relay on the control bank labeled "reset completed" or something like that. It often has an ID letter of "D" or some variant of "D". If you have this relay on your control bank, it should latch in the up position with all the other bank relays at the start of a new game, and it should not trip until all the score units are at zero.

It sounds like this relay is either never latching in the up position, or is tripping immediately. If it is never latching properly, there is probably an adjustment or mechanical problem with the relay itself, such as a broken or sticking relay armature. Also be sure that the control bank relay frame is fully and properly seated into the support brackets on both sides of the frame.

If it is latching properly but then electrically tripping immediately, there are a few reasons that could be happening. One reason would be a circuit fault somewhere in the runout switches on one of the score units.

Since you've checked the score units already, try checking the tilt relay or game over relay to see if there are any switches out of adjustment there. There is usually a switch on one of these two relays (most often on the tilt relay) that forces the reset completed relay to trip in the event that the game is tilted while the score is resetting.

Finally, check the motor 1C switch stack to see if there are any circuit faults between switch blades there. The reset completed relay is usually triggered by a motor 1C switch closing, to ensure that the reset completed function does not terminate until the motor is back to the home position. If 25 VAC is accidently getting shorted onto the reset completed switch blade on the 1C stack, then the reset completed relay could trip immediately.

- TimMe

#3 3 years ago

I just took a look a a couple of my early 1970s Gottlieb schematics - unfortunately, I don't have one for Baseball - and I noticed that the motor switch to trip the reset completed relay is often located at motor position 2B rather than at 1C.

So you should still check for the motor switch circuit fault I described, but you'll want to check the motor 2B position. Sorry if that misinformation caused any confusion.

- TimMe

#4 3 years ago

When you say that " I've checked and cleaned the switches on the reels " have you verified that the two switches are indeed closed and making contact in positions 1-8 and all three (where applicable) are closed in position 9?

#5 3 years ago

Hi Red
    I am irritated about Your (post-1) "example Score-Reel is on 5 then it only drops to 4" - see here: https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=185&picno=39192 the 4673 are Score-Reels --- the 16 I would call Runs-Unit. (Score-Reels are "resetted" beeing stepped forward to reach Zero-Position.) Greetings Rolf

#6 3 years ago

Here's the DB1/Reset Completed relay circuit for Baseball.
    Baseball Reset relay (resized).jpgBaseball Reset relay (resized).jpg
    Note that there is also a DB2/Reset Completed switch stack in the Control Bank that is mechanically tripped by the other relays rather than by its own coil.

/Mark

#7 3 years ago

Thank you for posting the schematic snippet, Mark!

Looking at it, we can see that a circuit fault at the zero-position switch stack on the ball count unit could also cause the DB1 (reset completed) relay to trip immediately. So it probably wouldn't hurt to check for cross-connections on that stack if you don't find the root cause elsewhere.

- TimMe

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

When you say that " I've checked and cleaned the switches on the reels " have you verified that the two switches are indeed closed and making contact in positions 1-8 and all three (where applicable) are closed in position 9?

Note that on Gottlieb games of this era, the runout switches to terminate the reset operation are open at all positions other than zero. They are wired in series and so all switches must be closed (only at zero) to trip the reset completed relay. This is the opposite from the way the Bally and Williams EM resets worked.

Since the symptom seems to imply that the reset completed relay is tripping right away, even when some of the score units are at a non-zero position, what I would be looking for is something that is supplying current to the DB1 relay coil even though the runout switches of the score units are not all closed. That is assuming, of course, that the problem is that the relay is tripping electrically. If it is a mechanical sticking problem for the relay, then a circuit issue isn't relevant.

You do raise a good point, though. If someone had previously adjusted the runout switches on all six of the score units in this game to be closed all the time (even at non-zero positions), that would cause the reset completed relay to trip immediately.

- TimMe

#9 3 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies and info. I still have a number of things to check. I will post my findings soon.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-score-reels-don-t-completely-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.