• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Runout Section (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Pinsiders, I'm at my whit's end!

I have spend a lot of time with the lightbox's backboard off the machine, testing and adjusting the reels and adjusting again. Crazing things with scoring -- additional reels move that shouldn't; other player's reels move with only player 1 selected, then testing and adjusting again. Now I am able to consistently reproduce something that I don't understand. I need help!

* All 16 reels show zero. Manually add numbers to player 1. Player 1 all reset to zero correctly at start-up.
* Measure resistance between player 2 switches with 2 of player 3 switches, and player 4 switches with 2 of player 3 switches. All correctly are open.
Manually pulse any one reel of player 2,3 or 4 shows meter resistance; clearing that one reel goes back to all 6 open.
* Repeat first step above to start fresh. Manually move any of the 12 reels of player 2,3 or 4 and reset fails with one motor cycle so player 1 moves one
or two reels but does not do a full reset. (The one reel of player 2,3 or 4 used as a test also moves one or two number and stops.)
* Move the one reel set to non-zero and player 1 resets correctly.

The problem has to be with the X1, X2 or X3 relays and the player runout switches but I can't see were. All 12 switches of player 2,3 and 4 indicate open so there should not be any interference with player 1. I also thought that the secondary start relay, SB, was not holding for the duration of the reset which would cause the premature runout but I didn't think that the ZB (Last Ball Relay) showing open to the power path was the problem and maybe the armature 120V N/O SB switch was closing too soon with the bank reset causing SB to reset .

I also disconnected X2 (unsoldered OR-GR from X2), and X3 (unsoldered SL-GR from X2) to keep out of the way; Player 1 wouldn't reset until they were back in the circuits.

I would appreciate ANY suggestions; sorry to say that the fun is slowly drain from the hobby, I had no idea that the startup sequence could be so complicated. Everything that I have read have been to general to help me.

Runout Section (resized).jpgRunout Section (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

What game?

#3 3 years ago

Gottlieb Groovy (1970)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-score-reel-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.