(Topic ID: 125919)

Score Reel Clocks by Ayscrim Studios - Space Girl Eclipse Edition!

By PhilGreg

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 918 posts
  • 145 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 26 hours ago by PhilGreg
  • Topic is favorited by 139 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Gottlieb theme should I do next? Reply in thread for me to add others.”

• Slick Chick 1 vote
    17%
  • Astro 1 vote
    17%
  • Universe 0 votes
  • Abra Ca Dabra 2 votes
    33%
  • Centigrade 37 0 votes
  • Flying Carpet 2 votes
    33%

(6 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240411_163837~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_162316 (resized).jpg
20240412_190438~2 (resized).jpg
20240412_145147~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_212238~4 (resized).jpg
20240413_183900~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_121324~2 (resized).jpg
SGE1 (resized).png
20240409_065835 (resized).png
SGE1 (resized).png
SGE4 (resized).png
SGE5 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11-49-16 Ayscrim Studios (@ayscrimstudios) • Instagram photos and videos (resized).png
20240407_170705~2 (resized).jpg
pintastic (resized).png
20240320_193056 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mesz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#146 3 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Don't forget, I'm more advanced in the project than what you're seeing, I'm going back in time a little so that the thread stays interesting.
I remember looking those up. I think it's the first idea I had. When I saw the insane price I didn't take a second look.
One thing I try not to do, from laziness and a little on purpose, is not to look too much at other implementations so that I can be more original about what I do.
I know there was also a Kings of Diamonds remake at some point with stepper score reels.
I think what I came up with is closer to that.
Here's the picture from their design, which *spoiler* looks a little bit more professional than mine :
[quoted image]

Next thing you need to do is encompass a chime-box into your clock. Maybe use one chime bar and on the hour it chimes the number for which time it is (i.e. 3 chimes for 3 o'clock etc.) or just have it chime one time on the top of the hour!

#149 3 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Too far along now to implement this, but taking notes maybe for the future! That's the downside of accumulating work before sharing, I can't really use the feedback

Nonetheless, it's an awesome idea!

#154 3 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

So here is what my first circuit looked like

Right after this is where you lost me!

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

To make it simple, transistors are gates that allow current through or not. When you send them 5V, they open up and let the current through (same concept as when a coil gets energized in an EM machine and closes a normally open switch).
In SS machines, on the solenoid driver board, you have a row of them to fire the individual coils. They always have the (what is it again, 24V?) on one side, but they won't let the current through unless they get a 5V signal. When that happens the circuit closes and the coil fires.
[quoted image]
As for the optos, well they have the same basic functionality as a normally closed switch - they give off 5V when nothing is blocking the light, but when it does it drops to 0. In general in pinball it's used in some instances when a ball goes through something (for example the goal in WCS has an opto that I know of).

Seriously, appreciate your response. Always willing to learn!

#158 3 years ago

Nice job on the Data East Slap Shot restoration! (just saw the video after watching the above)

1 month later
#251 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

So here is what I'm still unhappy with at this point - when there is a translite, the sticker overlap can mostly be hidden out of sight. However, without a translite, we get this.
[quoted image]
In the best of worlds I would like to have the numbers screen printed on the reels, and I do have an idea of how this might be feasible, but I have another easier way to go about it at first which we'll be looking at.

So the numbers are on a decal and then stuck on? I would think that the 3M spray adhesive would really hold the decal to the point where you wouldn't notice seam as much?

Either way, I think it looks great!

1 month later
#297 2 years ago

Nice work Phil!

1 week later
#331 2 years ago

So Phil when you going to announce your line-up?

Standard Version - modeled after the EM (like you're making now)
Limited Edition - modeled after Solid State with orange displays
Collectors Edition - modeled after modern machine and it will have a LCD in it. It will display the time but also can be hooked up to cable and used as a tv.

7 months later
#480 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Done.
Here's an update you guys might like. I have changed the code to fully use the Real Time Clock module, including the battery power.
What this means is that the clock keeps time even when turned off, and when you turn it back on it goes to current time.
-I'll preset the clocks to your individual time zones (I'll have to check if having a battery complicates the shipping though).
-For those who already have clocks, you should be able to update the code.
So, you will not need to have the clock turned on 24/7 - if you prefer to only turn it only at certain times, that will be supported without needing to adjust it each time.
It's not ready yet, I need to do some more testing - will let you know when ready for updates for those who are interested.

Phil, is it possible to have the clock on 24/7 so it always reflects the correct time but to have the ability to not have the lights on all the time?

1 week later
#485 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I built a little automated sanding rig using my first clock prototype PCB. I still need to put the reel on and off but at least while it's going I can do something else and not just stare at it while freezing my fingers off.

always interesting seeing what people come up with to make things happen!

3 months later
#517 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Just got back!
Here are some pics of cool neon signs I took over there if you're interested: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/neon-signs-show-us-your-glow/page/33#post-6937661
Will get back into it ASAP and start shipping more units in the next days!

You bring any neons back with you?

1 year later
#870 21 days ago

Phil, as one of the first run buyers it's great to see you still making these as well as expanding to obtain the Gottlieb license. Congrats!

2 weeks later
#907 4 days ago

Anyone who's proficient in making the translites, that's willing to help me out with one, PM me?

#911 3 days ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Atari_Daze does some tip top work!

Thank you! PM sent

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mesz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-score-reel-clock-project?tu=mesz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.