(Topic ID: 125919)

Score Reel Clocks by Ayscrim Studios - Space Girl Eclipse Edition!

By PhilGreg

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 918 posts
  • 145 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by PhilGreg
  • Topic is favorited by 139 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Gottlieb theme should I do next? Reply in thread for me to add others.”

• Slick Chick 1 vote
    17%
  • Astro 1 vote
    17%
  • Universe 0 votes
  • Abra Ca Dabra 2 votes
    33%
  • Centigrade 37 0 votes
  • Flying Carpet 2 votes
    33%

(6 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240411_163837~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_162316 (resized).jpg
20240412_190438~2 (resized).jpg
20240412_145147~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_212238~4 (resized).jpg
20240413_183900~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_121324~2 (resized).jpg
SGE1 (resized).png
20240409_065835 (resized).png
SGE1 (resized).png
SGE4 (resized).png
SGE5 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11-49-16 Ayscrim Studios (@ayscrimstudios) • Instagram photos and videos (resized).png
20240407_170705~2 (resized).jpg
pintastic (resized).png
20240320_193056 (resized).jpg
There are 918 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 19.
#351 2 years ago

A little Gin-Tonic while doing some hand sanding on Father's Day.

Resized_20210620_165808_9113 (resized).jpgResized_20210620_165808_9113 (resized).jpg

Mbaule, Cidco, No_Skill - thanks for the kind words, you're on the list!

#352 2 years ago

Add me to the hopeful second batch list too please.

#353 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Thanks, great info. I think the material is called Backlit Film or "duratrans."
Can you confirm the print dimensions from your template are 7.5" width x 5.75" height?
I saw this online printer that will do those custom dimensions for $15 plus shipping. Still would require cutting out holes.
https://posterprintshop.com/product/backlit-film
Also attempted another image. These are from tiny files I found. [quoted image]

Nice! I hadn't seen the pic - yeah that's the hard part, finding decent scans to work with.

Quoted from FlipperFix:

Add me to the hopeful second batch list too please.

You got it.

#354 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

As for masking only certain areas, I didn't do it, but you would probably need to use a cameo vinyl cutter (or do it by hand) and stick it to the back of your printed translite.
I'm pretty sure that's what the guy who made my North Star translite did:

I'm pretty sure that is what he did too.

How am I just now seeing these? These are awesome, you sir are a true artist!

#355 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I'm pretty sure that is what he did too.
How am I just now seeing these? These are awesome, you sir are a true artist!

Ha! Sorry I didn't give you credit, I wasn't sure you wanted the publicity! Atari_Daze is the one that made the North Star translite I showed above.

#356 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Ha! Sorry I didn't give you credit

Oh it's not problem, I was just supporting your assumption. If I can answer any other questions, feel free to let me know.

I'd love to be on the list for the next batch myself.

#357 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I'd love to be on the list for the next batch myself.

You got it!

Here's the first "Batch 1" PCB off the assembly line!

IMG_3885 (resized).JPGIMG_3885 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#358 2 years ago

It's been a while since the last post so I figured I'd give some news.

I've been running my first white PCB on "accelerated" mode (10 seconds = 1 minute) for the last 2 week for testing. All good!

IMG_3932 (resized).JPGIMG_3932 (resized).JPG

Meanwhile I've produced a few more, still not finished.

IMG_3940 (resized).JPGIMG_3940 (resized).JPG

I'm pretty much done with painting the cabs - I'll go over them again to see if there are any major flaws but if not that should be it.

IMG_3939 (resized).JPGIMG_3939 (resized).JPG

I've made my order of 3D printed parts for the reel assemblies - I should get them next week, then I can sand the wheels and start putting it all together. I'll keep you guys updated.

#359 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

It's been a while since the last post so I figured I'd give some news.

Looking good! Appreciate the updates.

#360 2 years ago

@philgreg, Haven't visited your thread in a while and amazed at the beautiful craftsmanship and design, and all the progress you've made!

Please put me down for one if there's still room in batch 2, otherwise pencil me in for batch 3. Already dreaming of some nice art ideas...

#361 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Tommy:

PhilGreg, Haven't visited your thread in a while and amazed at the beautiful craftsmanship and design, and all the progress you've made!
Please put me down for one if there's still room in batch 2, otherwise pencil me in for batch 3. Already dreaming of some nice art ideas...

Thank you for the kind words sir. You are penciled in.

#362 2 years ago

Hi PhilGreg ...beautiful work! I'd love it if you could add me to your next run!

I maintain a residence in the USA so it could be shipped there when the time comes. Much appreciated!

#363 2 years ago

I would love to be on the list as well! These look incredible.

#364 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Thank you for the kind words sir. You are penciled in.

Super nice! I'd like to be on the list as well. Merci Phil!

#365 2 years ago

Thank you everyone! I am taking names down - just to let you know I'm up to 28 now.
Again, still not 100% a second run is going to happen - I need to take a step back once this run is done and see how much total time I spent and how I can improve the process. I very much would like to and will definitely try to do it, but I have to manage the logistics with the daytime job and family life.
If indeed it does, not sure either how many I'll make at that point but I will contact people in order for the opportunity to get in.

Cheers!

#366 2 years ago

If there's still room, I'd like to be added. These are very cool. Thanks.

Steve

#367 2 years ago

I am in on the order. If someone wants my spot at what it cost let me know. This is if PhilGreg is willing.

MrMikeman has it if PhilGreg is ok with it.

#368 2 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I am in on the order. If someone wants my spot at what it cost let me know. This is if PhilGreg is willing.

I’ll take your spot if Phil is ok with it.

#369 2 years ago

I don't have any issues with you selling your spot to MrMikeman . If anybody else wants to do that however, please let me know through PM and I can give you the waiting list so we can go in order.

#370 2 years ago

Somebody that got in on the first batch mentioned that the font for the 4 was different than actual Gottlieb reels. I knew that, but I should have figured you had to be somewhat OCD to be interested in any of this stuff in the first place (I am too! ) and that I'd hear about it, so I went ahead and made the change.
I also fixed the 7 while I was in there - not the exact same font, but close enough now.

Thanks for bringing it up! I'll order these this week and should get them around the same time as the reels themselves.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

(Sorry, for some reason I can't get rid of the big pictures of the numbers)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#371 2 years ago

Mechanical parts just came in - as soon as I have the reel stickers I should be able to start putting all this together.

IMG_3958 (resized).JPGIMG_3958 (resized).JPG

#372 2 years ago

As shipping time is getting closer I figured it was a good idea to test that the machine can handle some tumbling while in the box.
It was pretty hard to bring myself to rough it too hard as you can see in the video , but I'm hoping with a big bold FRAGILE writing on the box they don't go much rougher than that.

IMG_3959 (resized).JPGIMG_3959 (resized).JPG
IMG_3960 (resized).JPGIMG_3960 (resized).JPG
IMG_3961 (resized).JPGIMG_3961 (resized).JPG

I checked the before and after alignment of the reels and that nothing was broken, and it passed the test.

#373 2 years ago

A double protective layer of large diameter bubble wrap around the item inside the box provides a good cushion. But that foam looks pretty protective too.

9375329_e5414710-8f2b-4566-91b3-892b05291c36 (resized).jpg9375329_e5414710-8f2b-4566-91b3-892b05291c36 (resized).jpg

#374 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

but I'm hoping with a big bold FRAGILE writing on the box they don't go much rougher than that.

box.gifbox.gif
#376 2 years ago

Kudos on you for testing the package. The way I've seen some delivery guys, you might want to see if it survives a drop kick lol

My college roommate had a job at a FedEx packaging test facility where companies would send them their products to test how survivable they were. Sometimes they didn't even want the product back, so he'd get something like a vacuum cleaner for free on occasion. At the time it was illegal to ship wine back, so they had a whole closet full of cheap wine he'd take a bottle from on Fridays.

#377 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Kudos on you for testing the package. The way I've seen some delivery guys, you might want to see if it survives a drop kick lol
My college roommate had a job at a FedEx packaging test facility where companies would send them their products to test how survivable they were. Sometimes they didn't even want the product back, so he'd get something like a vacuum cleaner for free on occasion. At the time it was illegal to ship wine back, so they had a whole closet full of cheap wine he'd take a bottle from on Fridays.

As you can see from the video I was a bit hesitant to drop it from too high but since it came out intact and I do have all the parts for the other units in case I break anything (plus a few spare parts) it might make sense to give it another go like in the GIF posted above.
I'll think about it and let you know how that goes if I do

#378 2 years ago

Just awesome... you've got an ultra cool product... hopefully we'll see the 2nd batch in the near future. Well done.

#379 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I checked the before and after alignment of the reels and that nothing was broken, and it passed the test.

I thought for sure you'd at least punt the box down the drive. That would ensure UPS and Fedex stability.

#380 2 years ago

This is my fav pinside thread currently.

#381 2 years ago

Being Canadian, I thought there was going to be a hockey stick involved in the testing a la Gaston Gingras style

#382 2 years ago

Ok, I've been pretty busy with summer things these last few weeks, but I was able to get some progress.
Here's the first functional unit for batch 1. It's been sitting on my bar top running for a few days.
Next up is full assembly to have a completed unit #1 ready to ship.

IMG_4026 (resized).JPGIMG_4026 (resized).JPG

Once that's done I might work on the next few in parallel.

#383 2 years ago

Unit #1 complete!

IMG_4033 (resized).JPGIMG_4033 (resized).JPG

#384 2 years ago

That looks pretty amazing as-is! Beautiful!

#385 2 years ago

Phil, I was wondering. If you are able to know what number each real is on with this setup, what is stopping you from creating a small screen high score display for ems?

#386 2 years ago
Quoted from lint:

Phil, I was wondering. If you are able to know what number each real is on with this setup, what is stopping you from creating a small screen high score display for ems?

Nothing! The calibration application I use communicates through the Arduino USB port (you can see this here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-score-reel-clock-project/page/5#post-6257224)
Currently the mode of operation only supports +1 increments on each reel, but with relatively minor code adjustments it could also be fed any given number. The Arduino has internal memory as well so it could keep a number in memory when it's shut down.
Although in order to know what each number is it first needs to reset all reels to 0, so each time you shut it down there would be a reset sequence before it goes to the appropriate number.

#387 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Nothing! The calibration application I use communicates through the Arduino USB port (you can see this here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-score-reel-clock-project/page/5#post-6257224)
Currently the mode of operation only supports +1 increments on each reel, but with relatively minor code adjustments it could also be fed any given number. The Arduino has internal memory as well so it could keep a number in memory when it's shut down.
Although in order to know what each number is it first needs to reset all reels to 0, so each time you shut it down there would be a reset sequence before it goes to the appropriate number.

So would this calibration application conceivably allow for automatically adjusting the time at powerup if we had wifi connectivity with the arduino so it could determine the time from our home internet?

#388 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

So would this calibration application conceivably allow for automatically adjusting the time at powerup if we had wifi connectivity with the arduino so it could determine the time from our home internet?

Yes that would be doable, but the same thing can be achieved much more simply. First, you'll notice the little board sticking out of the PCB is an RTC module. At first I was just using the Arduino's internal clock to keep time, and while that did do a decent job, I figure a clock has to do better than decent and decided to used the RTC instead, which keeps much better time.
Now, as I did it, I just tweaked the code instead of rewriting to fully support the RTC's functionalities. If you put a battery in the socket and write the code to support it, it would keep time even when powered off.
Being a software engineer, I like the Agile principles and one of them is to deliver fully working slices of functionalities before adding new features. That's why I figured, let's get this working solid before I entertain adding functionalities. If I ever do get around to that though, I'm pretty sure it would be just a firmware update that wouldn't require hardware modifications so existing clocks could probably be updated to support it (probably! Haven't tried it yet...)

As for Wi-Fi support, there are Wi-Fi modules as well so if you had that on the hardware end you'd probably need a computer just once to configure the connection, then it would connect on its own and be able to synchronize.
Again, not focusing on any of this stuff at the moment, I'm not calling anything done with this iteration until all 12 units are shipped and running happily in their new homes.

#389 2 years ago

Big milestone today!
Just shipped unit #1.

Units 2,3 and 4 currently in work.

#390 2 years ago

Would love to be on the next batch that comes out. Take my money please!!!!
Excellent work!
Al

#391 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

About that calibration app, it has evolved a bit since that "first contact" video.
Here's a shot of calibrating one of the units.

IMG_40372 (resized).jpgIMG_40372 (resized).jpg
#392 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Units 2,3 and 4 currently in work.

Oh, so close! Can't wait!

#394 2 years ago

Last call for #2 and #3! Time to go home!

IMG_4038 (resized).JPGIMG_4038 (resized).JPG

#395 2 years ago

These are looking great! I so hope you are enjoying the process, because round 2 would be amazing! =) can't wait for an unboxing video! I need to learn how to code, I would love to add at least a speaker to mimic the chime sounds to ding every 15 min and then on the hour like a regular clock but with the bonus count down scoring chime like my Playmatic Fiesta game.

#396 2 years ago

These look great, looking forward to #6 shipping.

#397 2 years ago

Ugh. I really regret not jumping on the first batch when I could.

Honestly they look great even without a tiny backglass

#398 2 years ago

Alright, another big milestone, the first delivered clock running in somebody else's home.
Nothing got broken and from the looks of it all the numbers are still lined up right.

IMG_20210814_214501_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210814_214501_01 (resized).jpg

With this one secured it looks like I can send out another batch.

#399 2 years ago

Phil, I may have missed it in 8 pages, what is the discussion about pared down translites for these?
I'm sure you know why I inquire?

#400 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Phil, I may have missed it in 8 pages, what is the discussion about pared down translites for these?
I'm sure you know why I inquire?

Hello - since I don't own any of the IP, I want this project to be legit so I'm not offering a translite. This is in part why I've tried to make the machine look good without it (frankly at this point I personally even like that better since you can better see the reels).
What I did is that I provided a GIMP template for people who do want to make their own, and shown the material, which I think is Duratrans which I'm guessing is available at most print shops.
For my Atlantis prototype I did not do any masking and I thought that looked pretty good, but with masking it might be a step better.

Now, of course since you made that beautiful replacement translite for my North Star restoration (which is on the previous page), I'm sure you're a good reference and people who are interested in getting one made should get in touch with you

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 918 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-score-reel-clock-project/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.