IMG_3692 (resized).JPG
IMG_3688 (resized).JPG
IMG_3721 (resized).JPG
IMG_3719 (resized).JPG
IMG_3696 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 285 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 7 days ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

So here is what I'm still unhappy with at this point - when there is a translite, the sticker overlap can mostly be hidden out of sight. However, without a translite, we get this.
[quoted image]
In the best of worlds I would like to have the numbers screen printed on the reels, and I do have an idea of how this might be feasible, but I have another easier way to go about it at first which we'll be looking at.

So the numbers are on a decal and then stuck on? I would think that the 3M spray adhesive would really hold the decal to the point where you wouldn't notice seam as much?

Either way, I think it looks great!

#252 7 days ago

Waterslide Decals?

#253 7 days ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

print reels in white and use clear stickers? heck, I might even try to stencil and paint those on since I have a vinyl cutter. hmmm, maybe black with red/orange digits like Gottlieb did on Neptune, etc.

Print reels in white -> yes! Keep in mind that so far I had been printing in PLA which as I understand it deteriorates over time and the plan was to print them in white ABS eventually (now ultimately it would be to have them injection molded at some point but the price is way out of the equation at this point).

Here's what my first order of ABS white reels looks like.
IMG_3735 (resized).JPG

#254 7 days ago

The finish is much rougher than I was expecting though:

IMG_3736 (resized).JPG

I've read about smoothing with acetone fumes, but I've had another idea I want to try first.

#255 7 days ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Waterslide Decals?

I did think about that but I think they'd be too hard to work with for this application - I won't make you guess too long, what I'll be trying is transfer stickers.

#256 7 days ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I did think about that but I think they'd be too hard to work with for this application - I won't make you guess too long, what I'll be trying is transfer stickers.

Yes, that does seem like a good choice.

#257 6 days ago

I’m just curious, is there any space at all for a single knocker/chime/bell etc? It’d be an amazing alarm clock or kitchen timer.

#258 6 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I’m just curious, is there any space at all for a single knocker/chime/bell etc? It’d be an amazing alarm clock or kitchen timer.

Yes, I think there's probably room to add something of the sort - it only runs on 9V, so it would have to be a smaller a solenoid (I don't think people want to be woken up by a full on extra game knocker anyway... the Stern screech maybe? That'll wake you up angry ).
For now though, my focus is keeping things simple and making this iteration sturdy and dependable, and getting some feedback from a few people, as there seems to be some interest. Extra features will be further down the line.

#259 6 days ago

Looking at how rough the reels were, I decided the best way to go about it at this point was sanding. I was worried that if I did it by hand I might end up with something uneven, so what I did is routed some support for my belt sander so that it lies horizontal.
Then I can set the wheels down on the support and slowly turn it to get an even sand. One problem is that the plastic seems to clog up the sandpaper pretty quick, so I'll have to see if I can somehow clean it or else I'll just eat through sandpaper pretty quick.

#260 6 days ago

#261 5 days ago

And now with the stickers - you can see there's some thickness to it but it's definitely something I can live with. I went for a font much closer to the originals as well.

#262 5 days ago

Very nice!

#263 4 days ago

Alright folks, this is it!
Version 2.2 is done!
The next chapter of the story will be to produce a short run if I have enough interested peeps. More details on this in the next few posts.

IMG_3696 (resized).JPG
IMG_3719 (resized).JPG
IMG_3721 (resized).JPG
IMG_3692 (resized).JPG
IMG_3688 (resized).JPG

#264 4 days ago

Here's the whole family

IMG_3704 (resized).JPG
IMG_3705 (resized).JPG
IMG_3711 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).JPG

#265 4 days ago

*TAKING ORDERS*

Ok, so after running through the numbers and the plan, here’s what I propose.

-First, some of you have asked about kits - this doesn’t save me anything on the BOM, only on labour. This is going to be my summer project and I don’t really mind the labour at this point. I also want to see how much effort it actually takes to build these in small batches, so unless you would specifically rather have it as a kit (for the same price) I will send a fully built unit.

-12 units is a reasonable number I’m confident I can ship by September without getting in over my head. Once that’s done I’ll see how much I enjoyed myself, and see if there’s another batch down the pipeline.

-The V2.2 model is what I’m shipping - I don’t have the rights to the Gottlieb artwork so I can’t ship the Atlantis theme. Of course you’re free to customize it and to share with all of us. I’d love to see some other Gottlieb classics!

-The price is 219$ USD + 30$ USD shipping to the US and Canada. 100$ non-refundable deposit now + the rest when your machine is ready to ship. PM me for information.

That’s it, I’m excited to see if we can make this happen!

#266 4 days ago

I’m in for one!

#267 4 days ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I don’t have the rights to the Gottlieb artwork so I can’t ship the Atlantis theme

Can you detail how we would create the translite with art?

#268 3 days ago

I am in for one too! That price is very reasonable! PM sent

#269 3 days ago
Quoted from RTS:

Can you detail how we would create the translite with art?

It looks like the post where I give a timelapse of the Atlantis translite creation got wiped out during the outage, so here it is again.
Basically, find a half-decent scan of the backglass (since you're scaling it way_ down, it can be pretty low res) then cut out the parts you want and "reconstruct".
I used GIMP: https://www.gimp.org/
Recording-translite.gif

Seems like the GIF isn't working again. Here it is on YouTube:

#270 3 days ago

How easy will it be to take the unit apart and insert a translite at the front?

#271 3 days ago
Quoted from jrh7:

How easy will it be to take the unit apart and insert a translite at the front?

Very easy. There are 4 screws at the bottom you undo, then the top just pulls off. I'll post pictures later.

#272 3 days ago

I'm in!

#273 3 days ago

Can you provide a blank template for the translite? Properly spaced out showing where the reels are and such

#274 3 days ago

<blockquote One problem is that the plastic seems to clog up the sandpaper pretty quick, so I'll have to see if I can somehow clean it or else I'll just eat through sandpaper pretty quick.
[quoted image]

They make a rubber block that cleans sandpaper, generally used for cleaning disc sanders, looks like a big floppy dild....d'oh
B

#275 3 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Can you provide a blank template for the translite? Properly spaced out showing where the reels are and such

Yep.
Edit: to be clear, I can provide a digital template!

#276 3 days ago
Quoted from ZooDude:

<blockquote One problem is that the plastic seems to clog up the sandpaper pretty quick, so I'll have to see if I can somehow clean it or else I'll just eat through sandpaper pretty quick.
[quoted image]
They make a rubber block that cleans sandpaper, generally used for cleaning disc sanders, looks like a big floppy dild....d'oh
B

Yeah that's what I figured... here's one:
amazon.com link »

I didn't think those "dild" things were shaped like that

#277 3 days ago

Here's how you slide the top off to access the inside (including the translite if you want to slide one in).

#278 3 days ago

*3 spots left!*

#279 3 days ago

So excited about this as I have been following the thread for a long time. Been trying to determine what pin I am going to use for the art. Do I stick with a GTB wedgehead as it has that vibe with the curved corners or go with a Bally or different title?
Anybody have any thoughts?

#280 3 days ago

Alright, all 12 are spoken for! If you're interested for a potential second run or somebody forfeiting their spot, please PM me.

Getting ready for the next chapter of the story - the first batch!

#281 3 days ago

== PART V - The First Batch ==

Alright, super excited at the response, I wasn't expecting this to go this fast - when I saw the spots filling up I quickly went over the thread and tried to poke people that mentioned they were interested, but I just went over it again and I think there's 1 or 2 I may have overlooked. Really sorry about that, if you would have liked to be in please PM me and I'll put you on the list for the next batch if there is one.

Now so far I've done a lot of iterating and testing, and I've had both versions of the clock running for weeks on end without issues, so I may be doing a few tweaks here and there, but only minor stuff. What I'm really interested in at this point is figuring out the effort and how much I enjoy it before I see what the next step is.

I typically do a pinball restore every summer - I don't have one lined up now so this is my summer project, and I'll be super proud to see these end up in peoples' homes.

Thanks again to the Dirty Dozen!

#282 3 days ago

I just got your Message. Sorry i didnt know ill take one if possible just got home from work. If not ill gladly wait for second run. Beautiful product by the way

#283 3 days ago

Great stuff! In for round 2, looking forward to it. These should be a big hit.

#284 2 days ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Yeah that's what I figured... here's one:
amazon.com link »
I didn't think those "dild" things were shaped like that

Wait till you start using it!

Very cool work, put me on the list for the next batch if there is one!
Good on ya.
B

#285 2 days ago
Quoted from ZooDude:

Wait till you start using it!
Very cool work, put me on the list for the next batch if there is one!
Good on ya.
B

You got it!
Thank you!

There are 285 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside