(Topic ID: 125919)

Score Reel Clocks by Ayscrim Studios - Space Girl Eclipse Edition!

By PhilGreg

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 918 posts
  • 145 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by PhilGreg
  • Topic is favorited by 139 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Gottlieb theme should I do next? Reply in thread for me to add others.”

• Slick Chick 1 vote
    17%
  • Astro 1 vote
    17%
  • Universe 0 votes
  • Abra Ca Dabra 2 votes
    33%
  • Centigrade 37 0 votes
  • Flying Carpet 2 votes
    33%

(6 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240411_163837~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_162316 (resized).jpg
20240412_190438~2 (resized).jpg
20240412_145147~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_212238~4 (resized).jpg
20240413_183900~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_121324~2 (resized).jpg
SGE1 (resized).png
20240409_065835 (resized).png
SGE1 (resized).png
SGE4 (resized).png
SGE5 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11-49-16 Ayscrim Studios (@ayscrimstudios) • Instagram photos and videos (resized).png
20240407_170705~2 (resized).jpg
pintastic (resized).png
20240320_193056 (resized).jpg
There are 918 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 19.
#251 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

So here is what I'm still unhappy with at this point - when there is a translite, the sticker overlap can mostly be hidden out of sight. However, without a translite, we get this.
[quoted image]
In the best of worlds I would like to have the numbers screen printed on the reels, and I do have an idea of how this might be feasible, but I have another easier way to go about it at first which we'll be looking at.

So the numbers are on a decal and then stuck on? I would think that the 3M spray adhesive would really hold the decal to the point where you wouldn't notice seam as much?

Either way, I think it looks great!

#252 2 years ago

Waterslide Decals?

#253 2 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

print reels in white and use clear stickers? heck, I might even try to stencil and paint those on since I have a vinyl cutter. hmmm, maybe black with red/orange digits like Gottlieb did on Neptune, etc.

Print reels in white -> yes! Keep in mind that so far I had been printing in PLA which as I understand it deteriorates over time and the plan was to print them in white ABS eventually (now ultimately it would be to have them injection molded at some point but the price is way out of the equation at this point).

Here's what my first order of ABS white reels looks like.
IMG_3735 (resized).JPGIMG_3735 (resized).JPG

#254 2 years ago

The finish is much rougher than I was expecting though:

IMG_3736 (resized).JPGIMG_3736 (resized).JPG

I've read about smoothing with acetone fumes, but I've had another idea I want to try first.

#255 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Waterslide Decals?

I did think about that but I think they'd be too hard to work with for this application - I won't make you guess too long, what I'll be trying is transfer stickers.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#256 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I did think about that but I think they'd be too hard to work with for this application - I won't make you guess too long, what I'll be trying is transfer stickers.

Yes, that does seem like a good choice.

#257 2 years ago

I’m just curious, is there any space at all for a single knocker/chime/bell etc? It’d be an amazing alarm clock or kitchen timer.

#258 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I’m just curious, is there any space at all for a single knocker/chime/bell etc? It’d be an amazing alarm clock or kitchen timer.

Yes, I think there's probably room to add something of the sort - it only runs on 9V, so it would have to be a smaller a solenoid (I don't think people want to be woken up by a full on extra game knocker anyway... the Stern screech maybe? That'll wake you up angry ).
For now though, my focus is keeping things simple and making this iteration sturdy and dependable, and getting some feedback from a few people, as there seems to be some interest. Extra features will be further down the line.

#259 2 years ago

Looking at how rough the reels were, I decided the best way to go about it at this point was sanding. I was worried that if I did it by hand I might end up with something uneven, so what I did is routed some support for my belt sander so that it lies horizontal.
Then I can set the wheels down on the support and slowly turn it to get an even sand. One problem is that the plastic seems to clog up the sandpaper pretty quick, so I'll have to see if I can somehow clean it or else I'll just eat through sandpaper pretty quick.

#260 2 years ago

#261 2 years ago

And now with the stickers - you can see there's some thickness to it but it's definitely something I can live with. I went for a font much closer to the originals as well.

#262 2 years ago

Very nice!

#263 2 years ago

Alright folks, this is it!
Version 2.2 is done!
The next chapter of the story will be to produce a short run if I have enough interested peeps. More details on this in the next few posts.

IMG_3696 (resized).JPGIMG_3696 (resized).JPG
IMG_3719 (resized).JPGIMG_3719 (resized).JPG
IMG_3721 (resized).JPGIMG_3721 (resized).JPG
IMG_3692 (resized).JPGIMG_3692 (resized).JPG
IMG_3688 (resized).JPGIMG_3688 (resized).JPG

#264 2 years ago

Here's the whole family

IMG_3704 (resized).JPGIMG_3704 (resized).JPG
IMG_3705 (resized).JPGIMG_3705 (resized).JPG
IMG_3711 (resized).JPGIMG_3711 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).JPGIMG_3716 (resized).JPG

#265 2 years ago

*TAKING ORDERS*

Ok, so after running through the numbers and the plan, here’s what I propose.

-First, some of you have asked about kits - this doesn’t save me anything on the BOM, only on labour. This is going to be my summer project and I don’t really mind the labour at this point. I also want to see how much effort it actually takes to build these in small batches, so unless you would specifically rather have it as a kit (for the same price) I will send a fully built unit.

-12 units is a reasonable number I’m confident I can ship by September without getting in over my head. Once that’s done I’ll see how much I enjoyed myself, and see if there’s another batch down the pipeline.

-The V2.2 model is what I’m shipping - I don’t have the rights to the Gottlieb artwork so I can’t ship the Atlantis theme. Of course you’re free to customize it and to share with all of us. I’d love to see some other Gottlieb classics!

-The price is 219$ USD + 30$ USD shipping to the US and Canada. 100$ non-refundable deposit now + the rest when your machine is ready to ship. PM me for information.

That’s it, I’m excited to see if we can make this happen!

#266 2 years ago

I’m in for one!

#267 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I don’t have the rights to the Gottlieb artwork so I can’t ship the Atlantis theme

Can you detail how we would create the translite with art?

#268 2 years ago

I am in for one too! That price is very reasonable! PM sent

#269 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Can you detail how we would create the translite with art?

It looks like the post where I give a timelapse of the Atlantis translite creation got wiped out during the outage, so here it is again.
Basically, find a half-decent scan of the backglass (since you're scaling it way_ down, it can be pretty low res) then cut out the parts you want and "reconstruct".
I used GIMP: https://www.gimp.org/
Recording-translite.gifRecording-translite.gif

Seems like the GIF isn't working again. Here it is on YouTube:

#270 2 years ago

How easy will it be to take the unit apart and insert a translite at the front?

#271 2 years ago
Quoted from jrh7:

How easy will it be to take the unit apart and insert a translite at the front?

Very easy. There are 4 screws at the bottom you undo, then the top just pulls off. I'll post pictures later.

#272 2 years ago

I'm in!

#273 2 years ago

Can you provide a blank template for the translite? Properly spaced out showing where the reels are and such

#274 2 years ago

<blockquote One problem is that the plastic seems to clog up the sandpaper pretty quick, so I'll have to see if I can somehow clean it or else I'll just eat through sandpaper pretty quick.
[quoted image]

They make a rubber block that cleans sandpaper, generally used for cleaning disc sanders, looks like a big floppy dild....d'oh
B

#275 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Can you provide a blank template for the translite? Properly spaced out showing where the reels are and such

Yep.
Edit: to be clear, I can provide a digital template!

#276 2 years ago
Quoted from ZooDude:

<blockquote One problem is that the plastic seems to clog up the sandpaper pretty quick, so I'll have to see if I can somehow clean it or else I'll just eat through sandpaper pretty quick.
[quoted image]
They make a rubber block that cleans sandpaper, generally used for cleaning disc sanders, looks like a big floppy dild....d'oh
B

Yeah that's what I figured... here's one:
https://www.amazon.ca/Abrasive-Cleaning-Sanding-Sandpaper-Skateboard/dp/B08CNNM96B/ref=sr_1_7

I didn't think those "dild" things were shaped like that

#277 2 years ago

Here's how you slide the top off to access the inside (including the translite if you want to slide one in).

#279 2 years ago

So excited about this as I have been following the thread for a long time. Been trying to determine what pin I am going to use for the art. Do I stick with a GTB wedgehead as it has that vibe with the curved corners or go with a Bally or different title?
Anybody have any thoughts?

#280 2 years ago

Alright, all 12 are spoken for! If you're interested for a potential second run or somebody forfeiting their spot, please PM me.

Getting ready for the next chapter of the story - the first batch!

#281 2 years ago

== PART V - The First Batch ==

Alright, super excited at the response, I wasn't expecting this to go this fast - when I saw the spots filling up I quickly went over the thread and tried to poke people that mentioned they were interested, but I just went over it again and I think there's 1 or 2 I may have overlooked. Really sorry about that, if you would have liked to be in please PM me and I'll put you on the list for the next batch if there is one.

Now so far I've done a lot of iterating and testing, and I've had both versions of the clock running for weeks on end without issues, so I may be doing a few tweaks here and there, but only minor stuff. What I'm really interested in at this point is figuring out the effort and how much I enjoy it before I see what the next step is.

I typically do a pinball restore every summer - I don't have one lined up now so this is my summer project, and I'll be super proud to see these end up in peoples' homes.

Thanks again to the Dirty Dozen!

#282 2 years ago

I just got your Message. Sorry i didnt know ill take one if possible just got home from work. If not ill gladly wait for second run. Beautiful product by the way

#283 2 years ago

Great stuff! In for round 2, looking forward to it. These should be a big hit.

#284 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Yeah that's what I figured... here's one:
amazon.com link »
I didn't think those "dild" things were shaped like that

Wait till you start using it!

Very cool work, put me on the list for the next batch if there is one!
Good on ya.
B

#285 2 years ago
Quoted from ZooDude:

Wait till you start using it!
Very cool work, put me on the list for the next batch if there is one!
Good on ya.
B

You got it!
Thank you!

1 week later
#286 2 years ago

A quick update - parts have been ordered, I will start posting again as I begin the builds.
Stay tuned!

#287 2 years ago

Parts are starting to come in - here's a big ole sack of motors to get started.

IMG_3826 (resized).JPGIMG_3826 (resized).JPG
#288 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

here's a big ole sack of motors to get started.

Is that the technical term?

#289 2 years ago

It's an industry term. In the pinball clock biz, 50 of something is called a "sack"

1 week later
#290 2 years ago

PCBs just came in - I went with a white batch this time.
I should be able to start putting together electronics pretty soon.

IMG_3827 (2) (resized).JPGIMG_3827 (2) (resized).JPG
#291 2 years ago

Big pick up today!
I went and picked up the cabinet parts from a local CNC shop. I opted to go with the order right away without prototyping since I had already done my own prototype. Because of minimum order price, the prototype from the shop was a third of the price of the full order so I was willing to take that calculated risk.
I'm very happy with the quality, and there are no major issues. I was hoping the front panels would be clean and chip free, and they are.
The only thing I'll need to rework (which I wouldn't have had to do had I prototyped first) is that the side panel fit is too tight - I'll just reroute them myself, should be an easy fix.
This is one of the reasons I didn't want to get too carried away with the number of units - at this volume I can fix issues I find along the way.

IMG_3828 (resized).JPGIMG_3828 (resized).JPG
IMG_3830 (resized).JPGIMG_3830 (resized).JPG
IMG_3829 (resized).JPGIMG_3829 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#292 2 years ago

Alright!
Took the day off today to begin on the cabinet assembly.
So first I had told you about the side panels fitting a little too snug. Fixed that with the router:

IMG_3836 (resized).JPGIMG_3836 (resized).JPG

S'all good, man!

IMG_3839 (resized).JPGIMG_3839 (resized).JPG

Then to check if all the pieces fit together as they should before I start gluing stuff.

IMG_3842 (resized).JPGIMG_3842 (resized).JPG
IMG_3840 (resized).JPGIMG_3840 (resized).JPG

Yup, good to go, except for this - too snug again. Will shave them off with the saw.

IMG_3845 (resized).JPGIMG_3845 (resized).JPG
IMG_3846 (resized).JPGIMG_3846 (resized).JPG

Done!

IMG_3847 (resized).JPGIMG_3847 (resized).JPG

Ready to glue things together - 12 glued cabinet tops, the train is coming!

IMG_3844 (resized).JPGIMG_3844 (resized).JPG

While this is drying, I figured I'd give a slight mineral oil wipe down to the inside wood panels. Some people will probably do translites, but if you don't I want it to look good.

IMG_3848 (resized).JPGIMG_3848 (resized).JPG

With the glue dry, the cabinets then need to be sanded flat on all sides. I wish I had a large industrial belt sander, but for now this is what I'm doing:

IMG_3849 (resized).JPGIMG_3849 (resized).JPG

That poor vacuum can't keep up:

IMG_3850 (resized).JPGIMG_3850 (resized).JPG
IMG_3851 (resized).JPGIMG_3851 (resized).JPG

I have brown hair by the way, this is MDF dust

Merry Christmas!
IMG_3853 (resized).JPGIMG_3853 (resized).JPG

Then after blowing compressed air to clean them up:

IMG_3855 (resized).JPGIMG_3855 (resized).JPG

Next up is wood filler to get everything nice and clean, but no pics of that yet.

I'm taking note of the time it's taking me to build things - I like to have stats for a "post mortem" once the project is done.

IMG_3852 (resized).JPGIMG_3852 (resized).JPG

That's it for today, will post when there is more progress!

#293 2 years ago

Are all the units sold?
These are fantastic!
I’m in if there’s one available.

#294 2 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Are all the units sold?
These are fantastic!
I’m in if there’s one available.

For this run they all are, but if everything goes well enough and it takes me a reasonable amount of time to produce them I will probably be up for a second run. That's also why I'm tracking closely cost and time to produce. I'll put your name on the waiting list!

#295 2 years ago

I would like to be put on the waiting list too please!

#296 2 years ago
Quoted from nkowalskiw:

I would like to be put on the waiting list too please!

Done!

#297 2 years ago

Nice work Phil!

#298 2 years ago

It’s so cool to see those 10 cabinets and think that one of those will end up on my shelf eventually.

#299 2 years ago
Quoted from Tortelvis:

It’s so cool to see those 10 cabinets and think that one of those will end up on my shelf eventually.

12!

#300 2 years ago

I have just one item in my office at work pinball related, a Wood Rail BG given to me as a gift from my military staff. This is going to be the second item, I can't wait to explain to non-pinball folks what it is and why it is so Damn cool!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 918 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-score-reel-clock-project/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.