(Topic ID: 125919)

Score Reel Clocks by Ayscrim Studios - Space Girl Eclipse Edition!

By PhilGreg

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 918 posts
  • 145 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 41 hours ago by PhilGreg
  • Topic is favorited by 139 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Gottlieb theme should I do next? Reply in thread for me to add others.”

• Slick Chick 1 vote
    17%
  • Astro 1 vote
    17%
  • Universe 0 votes
  • Abra Ca Dabra 2 votes
    33%
  • Centigrade 37 0 votes
  • Flying Carpet 2 votes
    33%

(6 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240411_163837~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_162316 (resized).jpg
20240412_190438~2 (resized).jpg
20240412_145147~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_212238~4 (resized).jpg
20240413_183900~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_121324~2 (resized).jpg
SGE1 (resized).png
20240409_065835 (resized).png
SGE1 (resized).png
SGE4 (resized).png
SGE5 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11-49-16 Ayscrim Studios (@ayscrimstudios) • Instagram photos and videos (resized).png
20240407_170705~2 (resized).jpg
pintastic (resized).png
20240320_193056 (resized).jpg
There are 918 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 19.
#201 3 years ago

Terrific job!

#202 3 years ago

Fantastic job! I like the size a lot. It’d be perfect on a work desk.

#203 3 years ago

Very cool. Nice work.

#204 3 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

I really am impressed, it's such a cool look not to mention the functionality aspect. I'd be curious what the price point would be for these; sounds like there's quite a bit of manual labor involved. You could offer multiple flavors though - full graphics package vs make your own package, etc... beautiful work.

Thank you. Yes there is some non-negligible manual labor, although I have limited some of it by doing CAD designs and PCBs. I have been thinking of this and I am definitely interested in making a limited run, to see how much time it takes me, how much I enjoy doing the work and if I can manage to make any money at all at a reasonable price point (although I don't mind not making any or even being under a little bit for said test run).
As for the art, in this context, I don't think I'd be able to get a licence unless I were to do some bigger scale production so I don't think this run can be with the Gottlieb IP.
Stay tuned, there's another chapter coming where I tweak the prototype to bring it closer to that.

#205 3 years ago

Wow, fantastic job, and Yes, I'd be interested in a purchase.

As for the artwork, if you have a way to allow the user to insert their own artwork, that would be better...and get around the IP issues as well.

Well done, sir.

#206 3 years ago

I also am interested, take my money

#207 3 years ago

Wow. Wow. I'm interested in one as well.

#208 3 years ago

Version 1 and version 2, for scale comparison.
Note that Version 1 had an accident last year - it's a topper to my Slap Shot machine and fell down to the ground so that I had to reglue the cabinet. It still works but it seems like some solder got busted and the minutes behave a little weird - didn't bother to fix it.

IMG_3607 (resized).JPGIMG_3607 (resized).JPG

IMG_3609 (resized).JPGIMG_3609 (resized).JPG

#209 3 years ago

Beautiful work. This is a very cool project. Put me down if you decide to make these.

#210 3 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Version 1 and version 2, for scale comparison.
Note that Version 1 had an accident last year - it's a topper to my Slap Shot machine and fell down to the ground so that I had to reglue the cabinet. It still works but it seems like some solder got busted and the minutes behave a little weird - didn't bother to fix it.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Awesome work. I really like the little one, although the bigger one has the slants like a mid 70's gottlieb has.

#211 3 years ago

Came out really cool. Not sure what kind of worms you prefer, but if you like them by the can, I’d say I would be interested in an El Dorado version. Just thinking of other single-player popular Gottliebs.

I can solder and crimp n stuff just like most pinball owners, so if it helped your modulation/price point to do it as a kit that’s a thought too. I don’t have an unlimited budget, so trying to think of cost saving ideas to put a little diy on the buyer.

#212 3 years ago

Interested in one as well please take my money very good job and cool idea

#213 3 years ago

I would absolutely be in for one! They are beautiful!

#214 3 years ago

Hot dog! Thank you all for the kind words.
I can definitely make a run happen.
I can make blanks, just the reels + electronics with no cabinet and I'll see if I can have an idea for an original design.

Although I'm happy with the Atlantis build (I call it Version 2 iteration 1), I'm a bit of a perfectionist and there are still a few things I wanted to improve on before I'd be comfortable sending it out to other people.

The main things are:

-the Arduino Mega does not have a real time clock - this means it needs to be calibrated and then there's no guarantee it won't stray after a few weeks. Although it's not the end of the world (I have this Seiko watch which I really like but goes 5 minutes off every 3 days ), and adjusting the time is part of the fun with this clock, I'll need to update it with a Real Time Clock.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

-the motors run off 12v so that they're more reliable and always run smoothly. The LED strip runs off 5V, and the Arduino's voltage regulator does the conversion. Although the LED's draw is well within reasonable specs, it does get a little hot to the touch. I don't want anything hot so I will need a beefier regulator.

-although I have made the clock smaller, I still find it a little big and I still have room to work with - I'll make it a little bit smaller still

-I will improve on the mechanical design a bit

-the reels themselves need to be calibrated in the code so that they're perfectly aligned for each digit - to that effect I use a calibration matrix which is hardcoded. I'd rather have a desktop app so that if an owner ever needs to calibrate it they can do it on their end.

-the reel is currently 3D printed with PLA. Although the reel mechanicals are very low impact (an initialization sequence where everything rolls, then everything is mostly still all the time), it is my understanding that the material can deteriorate over time. I will thus try other materials.

Some other stuff too - I've already worked through some of that, keep following the thread to see the progress, and when I feel I'm ready to ship some I'll let you guys know.

#215 3 years ago

So there's no chance it could have a wireless connection to our home network for synchronizing time?

#216 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

So there's no chance it could have a wireless connection to our home network for synchronizing time?

Not in this run, but it certainly would be feasible. I want to first focus on making the base product rock solid. It is fun to adjust the time with buttons, but it's also cool to control it remotely so something I might put in the backlog.

#217 3 years ago

Love it. Put me on the list if you decide to make these.

#218 3 years ago

I'm in for at least one.

#219 3 years ago

Just a thought,

You could make this dual purpose as a stopwatch or timer too.

#220 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Just a thought,
You could make this dual purpose as a stopwatch or timer too.

Mechanically as it is, it can only go forward - I think doing a stopwatch would only be a matter of coding the functionality, so probably no big deal. In the backlog!

#221 3 years ago

==Part IV - V2-I2 - Improving upon the prototype==

Happy Easter y'all!
Ok so let's keep going and getting into how the Atlantis prototype (Version 2 - Iteration 1, or V2-I1) can be improved upon.

So, first thing, once again the Arduino Mega uses a crystal oscillator as its internal clock. Although it's stable enough for most applications, it did not keep perfect time, and needed to be calibrated (checking to see how many seconds / minutes it wins or loses in a day, then changing the code to make up for the slide) - I'm also not certain that once adjusted it would not deviate again.

The Arduino Mega has pins to be able to have a plug and play Real Time Clock module, so I decided to add that and fix the code to match so that it would keep perfect time.

IMG_3618 (resized).JPGIMG_3618 (resized).JPGIMG_3619 (resized).JPGIMG_3619 (resized).JPG

I may try to embed the electronics directly on the PCB at some point, but for now I went with a plug in module.

#222 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Came out really cool. Not sure what kind of worms you prefer, but if you like them by the can, I’d say I would be interested in an El Dorado version. Just thinking of other single-player popular Gottliebs.
I can solder and crimp n stuff just like most pinball owners, so if it helped your modulation/price point to do it as a kit that’s a thought too. I don’t have an unlimited budget, so trying to think of cost saving ideas to put a little diy on the buyer.

For sure, El Dorado would be beautiful.
For the first run, labor will not be a concern and I'd like to get a good idea of the time to build one unit, so whether it's a kit or assembled won't make a big difference money-wise.
I could provide a translite template so after that people can customize them as they want and share the results.

#223 3 years ago

I've really enjoyed this thread - one of the best on pinside. Would definitely be interested in getting one or a kit when they come available.

#224 3 years ago

Also enjoying the thread very much. I'm working on doing a version of with the original score reels, will live on another floor and opposite side of house from the bedroom so hopefully won't hear in middle of the night. I love wedgehead design and am mocking up some 1/2 scale wedgehead designs to be fit into a 1/2 scale wedgehead. I have not verified that reels will actually fit in these locations yet, so will likely need to adjust, but here is some of my mockups (images scaled down). the reel locations are placed the same on the pairs so art could be interchangeable.

highreels.jpghighreels.jpglowreels.jpglowreels.jpg
#225 3 years ago

I’d love a kit and if I find some time I’ll try to make a Fire Queen version.

#226 3 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

The Arduino Mega has pins to be able to have a plug and play Real Time Clock module, so I decided to add that and fix the code to match so that it would keep perfect time.

These are great looking clocks PhilGreg.

I've built a few Arduino based clocks - in my case illuminated binary marbles - and used the rtc modules like the one you've pictured. My observation is that they are nowhere near the accuracy they claim - they can and do drift minutes in a day. My solution was to put a "bump" push button switch on my clock - when you push this button it bumps time to the top of the hour so if you hear a radio time signal or other accurate source you touch the button and it moves whatever time is needed, a minute or two backwards or forward to the exact hour.

On a similar idea I have a button to add or subtract exactly one hour for entering or leaving daylight saving time.

IMG_5901a (resized).jpgIMG_5901a (resized).jpg
#227 3 years ago
Quoted from SYS6:

These are great looking clocks PhilGreg.
I've built a few Arduino based clocks - in my case illuminated binary marbles - and used the rtc modules like the one you've pictured. My observation is that they are nowhere near the accuracy they claim - they can and do drift minutes in a day. My solution was to put a "bump" push button switch on my clock - when you push this button it bumps time to the top of the hour so if you hear a radio time signal or other accurate source you touch the button and it moves whatever time is needed, a minute or two backwards or forward to the exact hour.
On a similar idea I have a button to add or subtract exactly one hour for entering or leaving daylight saving time.[quoted image]

Wow that looks pretty cool - yes, I have been testing the RTC prototype for some time now and it seems like the one I have loses about 1.5 minutes a month - definitely within a reasonable error margin IMO and I'm ok with having to press the minutes button (right hand side) every month to keep it right.
Eventually in a further iteration I could look into Wi-Fi capabilities to adjust it to an SNTP server, but I'm looking at making a cool looking clock that you can use in your office, gameroom or some other place at your home, not something that you'll synchronize the next SpaceX launch with, so not that high up on my list.

#228 3 years ago

Alright so we're back from the great Pinside blackout of 2021, which I'll tell my grandkids about.

"Alright kids, sit down, grandpa's gonna tell you about the 2020-2021 pandemic"
"NO! We want to hear about the Pinside blackout again!!"

Now next up on the list of improvements, I was previously using the the Arduino's barrel jack to plug in a 9V power supply so that I get good smooth stepper motor operation.
That means that the Arduino's voltage regulator needs to knock it down to 5V for its own operation, the switches and the LED strip.

It's not meant to handle a very big workload, so it would get hot to the touch - I don't want anything hot inside the box so I used this much beefier regulator which is way overkill just to be sure.

This also means that I can't use the Arduino's barrel jack anymore, but that's not a problem. It means I can also have a barrel jack on a wire extend outside of the box, which I wanted anyway.

#229 3 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

... I have been testing the RTC prototype for some time now and it seems like the one I have loses about 1.5 minutes a month - definitely within a reasonable error margin IMO ...

Yep, I hear what you are saying on the need for accuracy and fitness for purpose for the clock, but I was disappointed with rtc module performance. The DST3231 that I used claims +/- 2ppm which is about 1 minute per year - I get nowhere near that and it drifts forwards and backwards. Anyway enough sidetracking from me - your clock is very cool.

#230 3 years ago

Next improvement: an update on the cab.
I still found the clock a little too large and I still have room to work with. Also, as I make it smaller, I think having the reels centered will look better.

So I'm going from this (10" x 7" x 5.5"):

To this (9" x 6.5" x 5.5"):

#231 3 years ago

So very interested in this project and your further enhancements. I am thinking a kit version would be awesome, I would add my own favorite pinball art package to it. Of course, do you pick something you already have or something you don't - decisions, decisions. Great work!

#232 3 years ago

For the Atlantis clock, I had a friend of mine who owns a CNC router cut the parts for me. I don't very much like to ask people for help for stuff if I can help it, and most shops will charge a fortune for a one-off, so I decided to get one of those engraving machines on Amazon for the next prototype.
At the same time I was able to teach myself a little bit how gcode works and how to use the manufacturing functionalities of Fusion 360.

20210116_153642 (resized).jpg20210116_153642 (resized).jpg

It's really not made to cut through 0.5" MDF and it took hours to cut each piece.

#233 3 years ago

Since it takes all this time to cut through a piece and we only have one "home" laptop (as opposed to our work ones), I decided to move the operation from the shed to the basement next to the water heater so that we could at least use the computer if needed.

That means my poor little girl had to play Roblox next to a running CNC, next to the water heater - something she can bring up in therapy in a few years. Special thanks to her for putting up with all this

Screenshot 2021-04-17 092925 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-04-17 092925 (resized).png

Eventually, after a week's worth of cutting I got all my parts. When I produce a run the idea is not to produce it with this machine, I just wanted to prototype and understand the output of Fusion 360 so that my CAD/CAM stuff would be legit.

#234 3 years ago

wow, awesome job, looks fantastic

#235 3 years ago

Looking through my pictures, I found a mockup I made of what I thought the smaller version could look like (although not to scale).

Original
IMG_3329 (resized).JPGIMG_3329 (resized).JPG

Smaller
9_5x6_5 (resized).png9_5x6_5 (resized).png

#236 3 years ago

Some better pics of the cuts for iteration #2.

IMG_3519 (resized).JPGIMG_3519 (resized).JPG

With all the time I took cutting these, I didn't even bother to check that I had cut the right version of the side panels
Too wide, so I'll have to recut them.
IMG_3520 (resized).JPGIMG_3520 (resized).JPG
IMG_3521 (resized).JPGIMG_3521 (resized).JPG

#237 3 years ago

Here,
that's better - after redoing the sides, then assembly and sanding.

#238 2 years ago

Painted white - V2.2 and V2.1 side by side to see the size difference.

IMG_3563 (resized).JPGIMG_3563 (resized).JPGIMG_3561 (resized).JPGIMG_3561 (resized).JPG

#239 2 years ago

Yes, it does improve the proportions, looks good!

#240 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Yes, it does improve the proportions, looks good!

Thank you for the feedback, very appreciated!

#241 2 years ago

Here is the V2.2.2* version of the electronics:

IMG_3414 (resized).JPGIMG_3414 (resized).JPG

Again, this is a shield that goes on top of the Arduino Mega.

*the nomenclature being:
-Major version 2, the first one being the one with the actual Gottlieb Score Reels
-Minor version 2, the first one being the Atlantis model
-Iteration 2 - I messed up the first PCB because of touching traces - this one works right

Although V2.2 of the clock will not be Atlantis themed, I have decided to keep this "code name" for now.

#242 2 years ago

Mechanical parts V2.2.2.

I tried to do a little bit of 3-D printing optimizations, to use a little less material on the brackets and to decouple the reels and the little washer to offset it from the motor. When it was all one piece, I had a bunch of support material I needed to remove on each one. Now they're just printed flat and I print the washer separately.
The bracket now also has a clip to hold the stepper wires.

These are all the parts that go in one score reel assembly.

#243 2 years ago

Reel assembly V2.2.2

#244 2 years ago

V2.2.2 Reels plugged into V2.2.2 electronics

#245 2 years ago

I'm trying to make this iteration look good even without graphics, so I have made the inside panel with cedar. All that's left is to put it all together and take a few pics, then we've got a complete V2.2 clock!

#246 2 years ago

Actually another thing I had mentioned I wanted to improve is that I have a calibration matrix for the adjustment of each reel that was hardcoded.
Although it worked for my individual purposes, that would mean that if I sell units and that I ever come out with a code update (which can easily be done through the Arduino USB port), the code update would wipe out the calibration matrix unless I kept track of each individual one.
What I did is that I decoupled this matrix from the code itself by writing it to the eeprom of the Arduino.
I then coded a Windows application that connects through the USB port and writes to that eeprom.

Thus, you can update the code without touching the calibration matrix and vice-versa.
Here in this super out of focus video, you can see the first baby steps of this application as I send the first Hours++ command.

#247 2 years ago

And, here is V2.2.1 of the clock!
In my opinion it looks good on its own without graphics and puts more emphasis on the reels themselves - but of course it's still always possible to theme it to your favorite EM.

IMG_3579 (resized).JPGIMG_3579 (resized).JPG
IMG_3587 (resized).JPGIMG_3587 (resized).JPG
IMG_3597 (resized).JPGIMG_3597 (resized).JPG
IMG_3594 (resized).JPGIMG_3594 (resized).JPG
IMG_3585 (resized).JPGIMG_3585 (resized).JPG

One thing I'm not entirely happy with yet is the way the reels themselves look, black with a white sticker - I think it is adequate when there is a translite but I'd still like to do a little better, which means we'll have a clock V2.2.2.
More on this shortly.

#248 2 years ago

Looks Great!

#249 2 years ago

So here is what I'm still unhappy with at this point - when there is a translite, the sticker overlap can mostly be hidden out of sight. However, without a translite, we get this.

IMG_3595 (resized).JPGIMG_3595 (resized).JPG

In the best of worlds I would like to have the numbers screen printed on the reels, and I do have an idea of how this might be feasible, but I have another easier way to go about it at first which we'll be looking at.

#250 2 years ago

print reels in white and use clear stickers? heck, I might even try to stencil and paint those on since I have a vinyl cutter. hmmm, maybe black with red/orange digits like Gottlieb did on Neptune, etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 918 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-score-reel-clock-project/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.