(Topic ID: 125919)

Score Reel Clocks by Ayscrim Studios - Space Girl Eclipse Edition!

By PhilGreg

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 918 posts
  • 145 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by PhilGreg
  • Topic is favorited by 139 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Gottlieb theme should I do next? Reply in thread for me to add others.”

• Slick Chick 1 vote
    17%
  • Astro 1 vote
    17%
  • Universe 0 votes
  • Abra Ca Dabra 2 votes
    33%
  • Centigrade 37 0 votes
  • Flying Carpet 2 votes
    33%

(6 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240411_163837~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_162316 (resized).jpg
20240412_190438~2 (resized).jpg
20240412_145147~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_212238~4 (resized).jpg
20240413_183900~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_121324~2 (resized).jpg
SGE1 (resized).png
20240409_065835 (resized).png
SGE1 (resized).png
SGE4 (resized).png
SGE5 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11-49-16 Ayscrim Studios (@ayscrimstudios) • Instagram photos and videos (resized).png
20240407_170705~2 (resized).jpg
pintastic (resized).png
20240320_193056 (resized).jpg
There are 918 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 19.
#51 8 years ago

Progress still much slower than I'd like, but progress nonetheless.

IMG_20150601_230717190.jpgIMG_20150601_230717190.jpg

#52 8 years ago

This is very cool! I was wondering how you handled the stepping of the 10 digit reels when only one or five digits on some of the reels are actually used. Nice job!

#53 8 years ago

I explained it earlier in the thread, and if you look at the video you actually see it going from 12:59 to 1:00. But basically each reel has a "will roll over" state and a "roll over" function which act differently depending on the reel and in relation with the other reels' state.

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I explained it earlier in the thread, and if you look at the video you actually see it going from 12:59 to 1:00. But basically each reel has a "will roll over" state and a "roll over" function which act differently depending on the reel and in relation with the other reels' state.

Yep I saw that. I thought about doing a score reel clock but couldn't figure out how to do that with 10 digit score reels. Once I saw your video I understood how you ended up handling it.

#55 8 years ago

Alright, looking pretty good! I think I'll go with the blue buttons...

IMG_20150602_203538934.jpgIMG_20150602_203538934.jpg
IMG_20150602_203517791.jpgIMG_20150602_203517791.jpg

#56 8 years ago

Alright so what's left is:
-lighting: I'll do the translite first to see where I put the lights
-translite: I'm in contact with someone who may be able to provide a scan shortly, then a friend of mine who's an illustrator will fill in the blanks for me
-back door: I had a replacement made for an EM machine by a local shop who make ducts, I'll see if they'll make one for me for this

IMG_20150602_220036990.jpgIMG_20150602_220036990.jpg

#57 8 years ago

This is awesome! I'm in the midst of a Surf Champ restoration, and have done a lot of Arduino stuff in the past. Care to share the code?

#58 8 years ago

Freaking cool!
I can't wait to see it finished.
E

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from pocketscience:

This is awesome! I'm in the midst of a Surf Champ restoration, and have done a lot of Arduino stuff in the past. Care to share the code?

Sure, again not my finest work so I don't feel like putting it out there for prying eyes, but I don't mind sending it to you by e-mail.

#60 8 years ago

I contacted Wade Krause after being tipped by another Pinside member that he might have a scan of the backglass and he was kind enough to provide one.
I worked on it a little tonight, and I'm sending it off to my friend who will fill in the gaps for me.

Here's a preview.

mockup.jpgmockup.jpg

#61 8 years ago

I need to make one of these for sure. Assuming coding it to military time is pretty easy change? I know nothing about working with arduinos and making my own boards. Maybe we could work out a deal... (Like I don't have enough projects already!)

-Jim

#62 8 years ago

Hey Jim,
if it were just the code I think it wouldn't be a big deal. The issue is the wiring. If you look at the schematics, I had to engineer it to use what available inputs I have, so I don't know the value of each digit, I just know the significant ones.
For instance, for the first reel that's 0 and 1 only, the second I need to treat the 2 a specific way (last number at 12:59) and the 9 as well (last number at 09:59). I'm pretty sure it could be reworked for a 24:00 clock, but I'd need to test the code to make sure it works with the different wiring and all.
Not sure what deal we could work out, I have 0 interest in going back and messing with that so no reasonable amount of money would do it, sorry.
But I don't mind sharing the existing code with you though if you can live with the 12 hour clock.

Just as long as I don't see a big preorder thread for a score reel clock popping up in a few days

#63 8 years ago

Haha. You have no interest and going back to mess with that wiring and I have no interest in doing it once! No preorders here. Case is easy work. Wiring an arduino........

I could live with 12 hour. Maybe I'll man up and tackle this some day.

#64 8 years ago

Any updates?

OK, I caved & ordered the Ardunio parts to get my project rolling.....

#65 8 years ago

I've been figuring out the lighting these past few days, I just have a couple wires left to solder before I can try it out.
I should be able to do that before the end of the weekend.

I've got 5 sockets in the backboard and one for each digit. 2 per digit would have been better but I don't have enough of the right sockets and I don't feel like waiting anymore. With the right LEDs I think that should do the job.

#66 8 years ago

So I spent some time the last 2 days figuring out the lighting. The panel think I did a pretty clean job with. For the reels I didn't have an EM at home with me to get the right setup, but I figures I'd wing something out with electrical tape.
I plug everything and...
Wow, 2 out of 9 LEDs are on. Great.

IMG_20150611_211431589.jpgIMG_20150611_211431589.jpg

I do some continuity tests, think long and hard about this using my full brain power and suddenly it dawns on me:
THE D IN LED STANDS FOR DIODE YOU GODD#MN RET#RD!

Yep, I didn't worry about which way I wired the sockets since it doesn't matter for light bulbs but this is running on DC current and LEDs are directional.

Oh well my friend hasn't begun working on the translite yet so there's time to redo it...

Here's with regular bulbs:

IMG_20150611_213538753_HDR.jpgIMG_20150611_213538753_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150611_213558060.jpgIMG_20150611_213558060.jpg

#67 8 years ago

Nice!

#68 8 years ago

Since 7 out of 9 LEDs were out I just switched the wires, and I rewired the 2 LEDs that now became backwards.
I also figured out a way to screw the reel sockets cleanly.

I put everything back in and... the horror! Nothing works anymore, the Arduino light is off and I think I even heard something frying.
It's almost midnight, I have to go to bed... the next morning the weather girl on TV is rambling about how nice a day it's gonna be so I won't be able to spend the day in the basement without looking like a crazy misfit. Dang weather. Rains when I need to paint, sunny when I want to work inside.
I go bike riding with the family, go to the park, mow the lawn, put the baby for her nap, and finally, back to the basement.

I spent a whole lot of time trying to find the short, and I noticed that when I pulled out the reel metal support from the backboard the short was gone. I realized I had a short between the lights and that metal support.
Upon closer inspection, I saw the leg of a staple protruding from the side and touching the support.
I removed the staple and everything seemed ok again.

IMG_20150613_085210717.jpgIMG_20150613_085210717.jpg

I rescrewed everything in place, testing after each step, and now I have a fully LED'd clock.

IMG_20150613_155848975.jpgIMG_20150613_155848975.jpg
IMG_20150613_155946251_HDR.jpgIMG_20150613_155946251_HDR.jpg

For those who didn't follow the whole thing, the reason I want to go with LEDs is that it's not that easy to pull everything out to access the lights so I don't want them burning out, and it's awfully crammed in there so I want to limit the heat, both from the lights and from the power supply, as incandescents draw more current, unless I'm mistaken.

Still on the list:
-assemble the two backbox parts and drill a hole for the power cord to exit from under box
-have the translite drawn and printed
-get a back door made

#69 8 years ago

My Arduino mini & misc parts arrived today. That thing is WAY smaller than I imagined. Never seen one in the flesh before..

#70 8 years ago

Back door's done.
Maybe I'll polish it just a tad.

IMG_20150615_135936662.jpgIMG_20150615_135936662.jpg

My buddy's done with the translite, I just need to tweak the holes for the numbers, then get prints on different materials to see what looks best.

Oh and I let it run with the plexiglas in front and no backdoor and my girlfriend got up to shut the door to the basement because it bugged her during the night... I don't think that metal door's gonna do much to deaden the noise so I might have to look into adding more plexiglas sheets in the front and maybe putting some insulation inside the door.

Again, not a very practical project as nobody likes a noisy clock besides crazy pinheads like us who enjoy the soothing sound of score reel coils in the night.

#71 8 years ago

If you want this to be much more accurate as a clock, purchase a "D3231" external clock board on ebay for about $1, connect it to the Arduino with 2 wires, and modify the code slightly to work with the D3231. Then, it will lose seconds per year and keep time during a power outage. Google " D3231 Arduino"

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from charleston:

If you want this to be much more accurate as a clock, purchase a "D3231" external clock board on ebay for about $1, connect it to the Arduino with 2 wires, and modify the code slightly to work with the D3231. Then, it will lose seconds per year and keep time during a power outage. Google " D3231 Arduino"

Thank you for the tip. If I were just starting I'd do this, or if I were planning to do more of these things. I'll keep that in mind if I need timing for my future projects.

Did a tad of polishing.

IMG_20150615_195554609.jpgIMG_20150615_195554609.jpg

#73 8 years ago

Alright,
finished tweaking the translite. Next update will be the completed project.
It might be a while, I have a pretty busy schedule the next few days.

Here's the translite art, thanks to my buddy "Bean" Carrier for filling in the gaps for me.

#74 8 years ago

Alright,
I'm calling this one done. Not perfect, some rough edges, but I spent a lot more time than I'd planned and I'm pretty happy with the results.

Go back to the first post for the presentation.

#75 8 years ago

So awesome.
Starting on mine soon. I have all of the basics, just need the time to get it done......
Thanks so much for the sketch & the schematics.. I'm sure I will be bugging you for more info as I get into it!

Dasvis

#76 8 years ago

Looks awesome man. Utterly ridiculous, impractical, and crazy, in all the best of ways!

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Alright,
I'm calling this one done.

Final pics please..............

Ken

#78 8 years ago

Thank you.
Yes, it doesn't make much sense any way you look at it. Just in materials I must be in over 300$, if I count my time it's probably worth a nice B-lister.
I wanted to put it on my desk at the office but it's way too noisy. I'll see if insulating the back makes a difference, but I'll be surprised if it does. Anyway the whole point was building it, not using it...

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Final pics please..............
Ken

Go back to the first post...

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Go back to the first post for the presentation.

Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Final pics please..........

Quoted from PhilGreg:

Go back to the first post...

My bad...thanks.

Ken

#81 8 years ago

Looks great and works well too! You should put it on a shelf or mount it on the wall in your Gameroom.

Ken

#82 8 years ago

very cool, love it.

#83 8 years ago

very cool! I would like to try and do this

#84 8 years ago

Thanks.
I'm going to see my dad this weekend, who has the Surf Champ machine at his place. I'll see if I can do another little photo shoot there with its big sister

#85 8 years ago

OK--who's willing to build one and sell it???

#86 8 years ago

exactly my thoughts! stellar work and amazing finish where can I purchase?

#87 8 years ago

It would have to be re-engineered for sure. WAY too noisy. I'm guessing those Whoa Nellie! reels must be much more quiet, not sure if they can be acquired.
All wiring would need to be redone.
Code would need to be redone.
Power supply would need to be changed since I'm guessing they don't run on 24V DC.
New theme would have to be found as I don't own the rights to Gottlieb stuff.

This is a simple project and I can definitely see how complex it would be to take it to production so a full fledged pinball machine...

#88 8 years ago

Phil -
PM sent.....

#89 8 years ago

That's pretty cool! You needed a Game Over light and have it blink at 1 PPS. Well done!

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

It would have to be re-engineered for sure. WAY too noisy. I'm guessing those Whoa Nellie! reels must be much more quiet, not sure if they can be acquired.
All wiring would need to be redone.
Code would need to be redone.
Power supply would need to be changed since I'm guessing they don't run on 24V DC.
New theme would have to be found as I don't own the rights to Gottlieb stuff.
This is a simple project and I can definitely see how complex it would be to take it to production so a full fledged pinball machine...

Yeah... that kinda kills it right there:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/511-7648-00

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

That's pretty cool! You needed a Game Over light and have it blink at 1 PPS. Well done!

PPS?

#92 8 years ago

pulse per second

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

OK--who's willing to build one and sell it???

Even though I would love to get one... and I am pretty I will never be able to build one by my own - this will be a dream ...

MAKE IT COME TRUE

@ PhilGreg... Absolutely beautiful - excellent job! Thanks for sharing!

#94 8 years ago

Looks amazing! Great work. I wouldn't have the patience or skill, but I have the money when someone puts this on Kickstarter

#95 8 years ago

To milk it one last time... I added the photoshoot with the actual Surf Champ machine on the first post.
Over and out!

1 month later
#97 8 years ago

I have been talking with someone who's trying to implement this project, and he pointed out a mistake I made on the schematics.
The 100 Ohm resistors are in fact 10 kOhm.
Very sorry if anyone has been trying to replicate, I must have misread the values on the resistors when I drew the schematics.

4 months later
#98 8 years ago

Neat.... when will you start mass production?

#99 8 years ago

I have thought about it, but the main hurdle is the score reels. Unavailable and too noisy even if they were. The Whoa Nellie ones are way too expensive so I'd have to look into designing and producing my own.
I'm not sure that could be made cost effective.

I'm on other projects right now, but I may look into it again in a few months.

#100 8 years ago

Dude this is awesome! I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 918 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-score-reel-clock-project/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.