(Topic ID: 125919)

Score Reel Clocks by Ayscrim Studios - Space Girl Eclipse Edition!

By PhilGreg

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 918 posts
  • 145 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by PhilGreg
  • Topic is favorited by 139 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Gottlieb theme should I do next? Reply in thread for me to add others.”

• Slick Chick 1 vote
    17%
  • Astro 1 vote
    17%
  • Universe 0 votes
  • Abra Ca Dabra 2 votes
    33%
  • Centigrade 37 0 votes
  • Flying Carpet 2 votes
    33%

(6 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240411_163837~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_162316 (resized).jpg
20240412_190438~2 (resized).jpg
20240412_145147~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_212238~4 (resized).jpg
20240413_183900~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_121324~2 (resized).jpg
SGE1 (resized).png
20240409_065835 (resized).png
SGE1 (resized).png
SGE4 (resized).png
SGE5 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11-49-16 Ayscrim Studios (@ayscrimstudios) • Instagram photos and videos (resized).png
20240407_170705~2 (resized).jpg
pintastic (resized).png
20240320_193056 (resized).jpg
There are 918 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 19.
#701 11 months ago

I would use transfer sticker to put the numbers on, and this is what I have done all the way up to now. I think they look good, but it's another relatively time consuming thing. When I get them as a sheet, I need to cut them into strips, and then use this jig that I made up to line them up just right:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I drew a notch on the actual printed one to help me align the 0.

To help with the sanding, I later got a better 3D printer to start with a not as rough starting point, but still sanding was a pain.

At some point, I would make some contraption to try and automate it, but it would still be annoying to install it there, swap it, so forth.

#702 11 months ago

Fascinating project... can't believe I never saw this thread before.

Please add me to the list!

#703 11 months ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Fascinating project... can't believe I never saw this thread before.
Please add me to the list!

I love my clock. I am shocked every pinsider isn’t on the list.

#704 11 months ago

To help with the 3D printing, I split the part in two and separated the washer from the reel instead to keep some separation from the holder plate and allow clearance for the screws:

Became:

+

To address the issue with the switch adjustment in the first batch, I updated the system to use reed switches instead, so that would mean an adjustment to the model again. Reed switches are activated by the proximity of a magnet. The reel needs an enclosure to put in the magnets - this is what this looked like:

#705 11 months ago

So, I had resolved the switch adjustment issue, but my biggest bottleneck in producing the clocks was still the reels production. Next up, I figured I'd try stamping the numbers on.
No dice:

Also, I moved on to doing silicon molding with an epoxy solution. This is what I've been doing up to now, and it has indeed made the process easier.

As you can see, there is still some sanding required to take care of the overflow.

Also, if you're going to be using a mold, you need to be able to pull the part out. So my little magnet enclosure wasn't doing the job. I cut out the top part, and would later rework the source part a little bit like so:

So this is all the recap, will start talking about the injection molding next...

#706 11 months ago

I like where this is goin!

#707 11 months ago

Thanks for sharing the development. No idea where I am on the list, but seeing you improve and refine your process gets me really excited to see one in person.

#708 11 months ago
Quoted from EasternBloc:

Thanks for sharing the development. No idea where I am on the list, but seeing you improve and refine your process gets me really excited to see one in person.

#40 out - should be a while but hang in there.

So, now to continue with the injection molding process... I had a chat with an ex-colleague of mine who's in mechanical engineering and has had stuff injection molded. He gave me the big lines, but mostly directed me here: https://www.hubs.com/guides/injection-molding/#the-basics

The main things to consider in my case were:
-keep the wall thickness as consistent as possible throughout the part, if not you may get sinking
-be careful to get the dimensions right for the pressure fits (the magnets and the motor shafts) -> when you remove material from the mold, holes in the part get smaller. So you're better to err on the side of too loose than too tight for the first prototype. More about this later.
-have draft angles to be able to pull the part out of the mold. This I was concerned about because I didn't want the face of the reels to be slanted.

If you don't what can happen is that the part will have drag marks as it comes out the mold.

It turns out that I did put it at an angle, but it's barely noticeable.

#709 11 months ago

I also added a mark to help with the numbers alignment.

So, I looked up a provider and decided to go for it. After a while I got a pic of the mould CAD which I was pretty excited about:

Some time later, I got the first batch of test reels in the mail (natural color, it's normal that they're not white).

There were two things to fix. First, I sent the file for the screen print in the wrong format, so the numbers were a little thin for my liking. Second, The fits were a little too loose and the reel would not fit tight enough on the motor bracket.
Next up, was to rework the model to make the holes just a tiny bit tighter.

This part got me really worried as if I overdid it there is no going back. You can remove material from the mould but not add any.

But,
in the end got these new test parts which look just about right and fit just right.

So, this is the story so far about the reels. Hopefully not much more on that topic for a while.

#710 11 months ago

Wow, your friend gave you some really great information. This takes the reels to the next level (there isn’t really a level beyond this).

I can’t wait until my # comes up in line for one.

Maybe now you could do a 4-player backbox with world time for 3 other locations.

1 week later
#711 11 months ago
Quoted from audihere:

Wow, your friend gave you some really great information. This takes the reels to the next level (there isn’t really a level beyond this).
I can’t wait until my # comes up in line for one.
Maybe now you could do a 4-player backbox with world time for 3 other locations.

Add me to that list!
Love my clock!

#712 11 months ago

I wish I had more production updates, but I'm waiting for parts to arrive.
Since I did another iteration of some of the parts (reels, PCBs), I have to wait for the new batches to come in, but it should be a matter of weeks now. And, will start putting together the next run of cabinets pretty soon too.
To keep myself amused I produced these stickers here - if you want one, just DM me your address. Offer good 'till it's not!

IMG_20230509_182129596~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20230509_182129596~2 (resized).jpg
#713 11 months ago

Hello again,
a few tidbits.
First, I added a store section to the website (https://ayscrimstudios.com/) where I added the Vertigo translite if you're looking to change things up with your clock.
I have a few other designs in the works which I'll likely put up there as they become available and also give as an option for the next clocks I ship.

Another thing is that I'll try to get through my backlog and if I do catch up, I think just putting up the available clocks on the store and notifying people here should do the trick, so just follow the thread if you're interested. You can also sign up to the mailing list through the website to be notified.

IMG_4760 (resized).JPGIMG_4760 (resized).JPGIMG_4762 (resized).JPGIMG_4762 (resized).JPGIMG_4763 (resized).JPGIMG_4763 (resized).JPG
#714 11 months ago

Quick question: are you entertaining requests for game themes for future clocks?

#715 11 months ago

Thanks for the translite option in the store. I've just added the translite and the new sticker to my cart, but it won't let me complete the purchase because Canada is the only option in the country menu. Just a heads up (and an attempt to keep my place in line, I suppose). Thanks.

#716 11 months ago
Quoted from Evets:

Thanks for the translite option in the store. I've just added the translite and the new sticker to my cart, but it won't let me complete the purchase because Canada is the only option in the country menu. Just a heads up (and an attempt to keep my place in line, I suppose). Thanks.

Thank you for the heads up, should be ok now. Let me know!

Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Quick question: are you entertaining requests for game themes for future clocks?

If you mean existing games, not at this time because I want to keep things legit and not mess with unlicensed IP. Although I would love to eventually be able to produce licensed Gottlieb games, I don't think I have enough volume to make it interesting at this point. Maybe one day.
If you mean random made up themes, yes I do like to try and come up with themes (as illustrated above with the Vertigo) although it's very time intensive and I can only do so many.

Cheers!

#717 11 months ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Thank you for the heads up, should be ok now. Let me know!
Cheers!

Worked great! Completed the purchase on my iPhone! Sweet.

#718 11 months ago

Maybe a Lacrosse theme art package? I don’t think there’s ever been a Lacrosse pinball machine.

#719 11 months ago

Ordered. Thanks!

1 week later
#720 11 months ago

Now added to the store, the new version of the PCB which supports mods. It has a 5V, 1A output and 3 I/O pins which I can configure to your liking.
If anyone has something they want to try out, here's the link: https://ayscrimstudios.com/page-zEkQ54

It will come standard on the next batch.

#721 11 months ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Hello again,
a few tidbits.
First, I added a store section to the website (https://ayscrimstudios.com/) where I added the Vertigo translite if you're looking to change things up with your clock.
I have a few other designs in the works which I'll likely put up there as they become available and also give as an option for the next clocks I ship.
Another thing is that I'll try to get through my backlog and if I do catch up, I think just putting up the available clocks on the store and notifying people here should do the trick, so just follow the thread if you're interested. You can also sign up to the mailing list through the website to be notified.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I was looking at my clock trying to figure out how I would get the translight in.
Just unscrew the bottom?

#722 11 months ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I was looking at my clock trying to figure out how I would get the translight in.
Just unscrew the bottom?

Yep, flip upside down, unscrew the 4 small screws, carefully pull out.

#723 10 months ago

A little more alignment and it will be perfect.
Looks lots better. Thanks Phil!

9F7A0FD1-8567-4101-87AE-D55FBA0732AF (resized).jpeg9F7A0FD1-8567-4101-87AE-D55FBA0732AF (resized).jpeg

#724 10 months ago

Hello all,
so a while ago I was contacted by a certain gentleman who wanted a custom design to go with his home arcade which his daugther christened "Hot Shots" when she was 8. I told him I may eventually look into it, but that's it.
I had the idea of doing a Gottlieb homage using a machine from his lineup, but spin it with his Hot Shots idea.
So basically I redrew Art Stenholm's character from Central Park, used the picture of his lineup that he sent me but replaced the Target Alpha with an El Dorado since I like the wedgehead look better.

Finally, I shipped it to him without telling him so that he'd get the surprise.

Here is what this looks like:

IMG_4816(1) (resized).JPGIMG_4816(1) (resized).JPG
IMG_4817(1) (resized).JPGIMG_4817(1) (resized).JPG
IMG_4822(1) (resized).JPGIMG_4822(1) (resized).JPG
IMG_4814(1) (resized).JPGIMG_4814(1) (resized).JPG
IMG_4810(2) (resized).JPGIMG_4810(2) (resized).JPG
IMG_4791 (resized).JPGIMG_4791 (resized).JPG
IMG_4795(1) (resized).JPGIMG_4795(1) (resized).JPG
IMG_4803(1) (resized).JPGIMG_4803(1) (resized).JPG

The inspiration:
centralparkbackglass (resized).JPGcentralparkbackglass (resized).JPG
dd4d975cc97ad844682ca3200712e9038d8fb6aa (resized).jpegdd4d975cc97ad844682ca3200712e9038d8fb6aa (resized).jpeg

I have printed some extra translites and I have the stencils I used to paint the cabinet, so I plan on producing a short run with this theme and offer it to the next people in the list and later post some translites up for sale.
Once I'm through this run, I have other original themes lined up, and I plan on rotating them. People who are offered a clock will then be able to decide whether they want it (359 USD shipped), get a blank one (329 USD shipped) or pass and wait to see what other themes are in the pipeline.

Again, I'm not adding any new names to the list so if you're interested please sign up for the mailing list on my website (ayscrimstudios.com). Once I run through the list I already had from pinside, I will start posting available clocks directly to the website and let people know when they come up.

#725 10 months ago

Here we go, that’s better.
I reviewed Phil’s instructions. Important to align the translite with the top of the plexiglass. Bingo!

9DD522D7-5E92-426E-8C0D-6A03D16937A5 (resized).jpeg9DD522D7-5E92-426E-8C0D-6A03D16937A5 (resized).jpeg

#726 10 months ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Here we go, that’s better.
I reviewed Phil’s instructions. Important to align the translite with the top of the plexiglass. Bingo!
[quoted image]

Hmm. It's Vertigo... Not Bingo!

#727 10 months ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Hello all,
so a while ago I was contacted by a certain gentleman who wanted a custom design to go with his home arcade which his daugther christened "Hot Shots" when she was 8. I told him I may eventually look into it, but that's it.
I had the idea of doing a Gottlieb homage using a machine from his lineup, but spin it with his Hot Shots idea.
So basically I redrew Art Stenholm's character from Central Park, used the picture of his lineup that he sent me but replaced the Target Alpha with an El Dorado since I like the wedgehead look better.
Finally, I shipped it to him without telling him so that he'd get the surprise.
Here is what this looks like:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
The inspiration:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I have printed some extra translites and I have the stencils I used to paint the cabinet, so I plan on producing a short run with this theme and offer it to the next people in the list and later post some translites up for sale.
Once I'm through this run, I have other original themes lined up, and I plan on rotating them. People who are offered a clock will then be able to decide whether they want it (359 USD shipped), get a blank one (329 USD shipped) or pass and wait to see what other themes are in the pipeline.
Again, I'm not adding any new names to the list so if you're interested please sign up for the mailing list on my website (ayscrimstudios.com). Once I run through the list I already had from pinside, I will start posting available clocks directly to the website and let people know when they come up.

A certain gentleman will enjoy his very special clock. It is even nicer looking in real life.

#728 10 months ago

Thinking I may finally have my translite ready to send off to print for my clock.
I'm nowhere as skilled at original art as Philippe, so it's cutting and pasting for me.

#729 10 months ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Thinking I may finally have my translite ready to send off to print for my clock.
I'm nowhere as skilled at original art as Philippe, so it's cutting and pasting for me.[quoted image]

Brilliant! May I ask what printing service you would use? I might be interested in doing something similar down the line, but not sure to whom I should turn...

#730 10 months ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

May I ask what printing service you would use? I might be interested in doing something similar down the line, but not sure to whom I should turn...

Message sent.

1 week later
#731 9 months ago

Hello all,
some Ayscrim news.

First, I have begun contacting people for score reel clock batch #4. It's been taking a bit longer than I wanted but here we are. People have the option between blank, Vertigo or Hot Shot themes. I'm also putting up for sale the original prototype.

Second, I got myself in a bit in trouble as I have agreed to go to Expo this year. I still haven't worked out how I'll get there (16hr drive from here), what I'll have for sale (if anything) or what my booth will look like, but I have told Robert I'd go so that's that .
As if that weren't enough, I also said I'd host a seminar. If any of my coworkers ask a question about the clocks I have no trouble talking their ear off for a good half hour, so I guess I'll be able to wing it.

So, it will at least be a chance to meet some of you, I will for sure have some clocks on display and it has had the effect of keeping me focused, so since that agreement I've been spending all my free time thinking up improvements and going forward with the builds.

Cheers!
Philippe

#732 9 months ago

Philippe,

Any idea what numbers this batch includes?
I just want to make sure I don’t miss a notification.

Mark

#733 9 months ago
Quoted from Mank:

Philippe,
Any idea what numbers this batch includes?
I just want to make sure I don’t miss a notification.
Mark

Hello Mark.
You're #20, so you're in.

1 week later
#734 9 months ago

Now shipping with every clock: the schematics!
(Tip: they won't actually help you debug anything, they're just a mock art piece )

Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 11-23-27 Ayscrim Studios (@ayscrimstudios) Instagram (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-07-09 at 11-23-27 Ayscrim Studios (@ayscrimstudios) Instagram (resized).png
1 week later
#735 9 months ago

Put together an LED sign for my Expo booth. Was able to ship a few batch 4 clocks, will get back to it.

IMG_20230716_175611143~3 (resized).jpgIMG_20230716_175611143~3 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#736 9 months ago

Hot Shots translites are now for sale on the website: https://ayscrimstudios.com/hot-shots-translite

IMG_49581 (resized).JPGIMG_49581 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#737 8 months ago

Just added myself to the mailing list on your website, does that get me on the list formally? If it doesn't please consider this a request to be added to the list for purchase!

#738 8 months ago
Quoted from roar:

Just added myself to the mailing list on your website, does that get me on the list formally? If it doesn't please consider this a request to be added to the list for purchase!

Hello, I will work through the people that were already on the Pinside list, but after that I will put up available clocks on the website and e-mail people through the mailing list when units become available.
I drove down to Hamilton once in 2001 to see Pantera and Slayer - you weren't there by any chance?

#739 8 months ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Hello, I will work through the people that were already on the Pinside list, but after that I will put up available clocks on the website and e-mail people through the mailing list when units become available.
I drove down to Hamilton once in 2001 to see Pantera and Slayer - you weren't there by any chance?

I didn't get a response from the news letter that I successfully joined, is that expected?

I wasn't at that concert, but a very good chance my uncle was, he is a metal head You probably saw them at Copps Coliseum, which is now the FirstOntario Centre, they still do a lot of concerts there, saw Pearl Jam there last year.

#740 8 months ago

I was at the Pearl Jam show in Hamilton. Please tell me there is more to Hamilton than a gigantic factory and a concert venue (says the guy from Buffalo).

#741 8 months ago
Quoted from Mank:

I was at the Pearl Jam show in Hamilton. Please tell me there is more to Hamilton than a gigantic factory and a concert venue (says the guy from Buffalo).

Hamilton is a very much a steel city through and through... It is a blue collar town with a recent trend towards some gentrification that has the locals up in arms. The area around FirstOntario Centre is pretty rough with homeless shelters and clinics across the street, it doesn't make a great first impression but I don't think anyone would ever accuse Hamilton of trying to hide what it is, which is a steel city, built and supported by the ebb and flows of the two huge (By Canadian standards at least) steel plants. It has a great history, some really nice areas, great parks, nice Football Stadium, amazing restaurants and overall, amazing, proud people. It's also the "Waterfall Capital of the World" lol

#742 8 months ago
Quoted from roar:

I didn't get a response from the news letter that I successfully joined, is that expected?
I wasn't at that concert, but a very good chance my uncle was, he is a metal head You probably saw them at Copps Coliseum, which is now the FirstOntario Centre, they still do a lot of concerts there, saw Pearl Jam there last year.

Yes, that was it, Copps Coliseum.
You didn't get anything because I didn't post anything yet... stay tuned!

#743 8 months ago

SAFETY WARNING:

If you are not single, please be careful about wearing this shirt.

It is very likely that one or many good looking person(s) will ask you questions about the shirt, and potentially touch it as they point to the various components. This may lead to unwanted situations if you are already in a committed relationship.

Screen printed locally on quality 100% cotton.

Available now here: https://ayscrimstudios.com/schematic-t-shirt

Asset 6-100 (resized).jpgAsset 6-100 (resized).jpgAsset 7-100 (resized).jpgAsset 7-100 (resized).jpgIMG_0195 (resized).JPEGIMG_0195 (resized).JPEGIMG_0203 (resized).JPEGIMG_0203 (resized).JPEGIMG_20230731_170704603_HDR~4 (resized).jpgIMG_20230731_170704603_HDR~4 (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png
2 weeks later
#744 8 months ago

Feels completely ridiculous that I'm seeing my name on the same schedule as Roger Sharpe, Jersey Jack, Mark and Steve Richie, George Gomez, Brian Eddy, Jack Danger, Chris Franchi and Zombie Yeti, but for some reason Rob Berk (organizer) thought my project was interesting enough to show up! Seems crazy that my little side project started 8 years ago would take me there.

My presentation will be called "Clocked In - A Dozen Heads inside a 7 in. Tall Box" - I have the privilege of knowing a lot of very smart and interesting people that helped me design and produce this, and I will be telling the story by presenting them and what good advice they gave, that hopefully can also help others.

Come check it out if you're at Expo, and come see me at the booth.

#745 8 months ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Hello again,
a few tidbits.
Another thing is that I'll try to get through my backlog and if I do catch up, I think just putting up the available clocks on the store and notifying people here should do the trick, so just follow the thread if you're interested. You can also sign up to the mailing list through the website to be notified.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from PhilGreg:

Hello again,
a few tidbits.

Looks like your vertigo trans light is sold out. I’d be interested in purchasing one should you consider rerunning them.

#746 8 months ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

Looks like your vertigo trans light is sold out. I’d be interested in purchasing one should you consider rerunning them.

Will do and post here to let you know!

#747 8 months ago

Go have a look to fellow pinclock builder The_Time_Bandit 's build https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-score-reel-clock#post-7726797
A full size (??) grandfather clock themed to Abra-Ca-Dabra. Very cool build.

Pinside_forum_7726797_0 (resized).pngPinside_forum_7726797_0 (resized).png

#748 8 months ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Go have a look to fellow pinclock builder The_Time_Bandit 's build https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-score-reel-clock#post-7726797
A full size (??) grandfather clock themed to Abra-Ca-Dabra. Very cool build.
[quoted image]

He did a wicked good job.

#749 8 months ago

It's been a while since I've gotten into the technical stuff so here's a little something. I've gotten some ChatGPT involvement in the project.

I had an issue with memory leaks - when calibrating, I push the new config to the clock, then reset, then do another run and so forth. Normally this is done under ten loops, but once it a while it takes a little longer to hone in and it would crash after 10-12 iterations (not something a customer would run into, just a bit of an annoyance for me).

I pasted the code in ChatGPT, asking it to spot memory leaks:

and sure enough, it did spot things I had overlooked:

Did this all thorough the code and voilà! I can reset over and over without crashing.

#750 7 months ago

I would like to put my clock on a switch and turn it off at night. Any issue with essentially rebooting the clock every day?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 918 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-score-reel-clock-project/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.