(Topic ID: 125919)

Score Reel Clocks by Ayscrim Studios - Space Girl Eclipse Edition!

By PhilGreg

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 918 posts
  • 145 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by PhilGreg
  • Topic is favorited by 139 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Gottlieb theme should I do next? Reply in thread for me to add others.”

• Slick Chick 1 vote
    17%
  • Astro 1 vote
    17%
  • Universe 0 votes
  • Abra Ca Dabra 2 votes
    33%
  • Centigrade 37 0 votes
  • Flying Carpet 2 votes
    33%

(6 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240411_163837~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_162316 (resized).jpg
20240412_190438~2 (resized).jpg
20240412_145147~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_212238~4 (resized).jpg
20240413_183900~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_121324~2 (resized).jpg
SGE1 (resized).png
20240409_065835 (resized).png
SGE1 (resized).png
SGE4 (resized).png
SGE5 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11-49-16 Ayscrim Studios (@ayscrimstudios) • Instagram photos and videos (resized).png
20240407_170705~2 (resized).jpg
pintastic (resized).png
20240320_193056 (resized).jpg
There are 918 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 19.
#651 1 year ago

How long is the wait list at this time and how much are they now. These clocks are super cool.

#652 1 year ago
Quoted from GoldenBear:

How long is the wait list at this time and how much are they now. These clocks are super cool.

Hello, you're #61 down the list. How long that will take depends on whether I manage to / want to shift up a gear this year (as stated earlier, my girlfriend had mentioned she might help me out but I'm not sure she's all that interested when it really comes down to it ) Again, I also allow myself some side tracks so I can't guarantee I just walk down the list in order all the way but I do mostly follow it. Price for the blanks right now is 329.

#653 1 year ago

Thanks, keep me on the list as the more I have been following this thread, the more I love these clocks. Who knows maybe it will be a retirement present to myself some day

#654 1 year ago

F'n disaster... I was putting together the Finish Line for a final photo shoot and I noticed a drop of something on the translite. Figured some Windex on a microfiber would take care of it.
Instead I smeared whatever chemical that was and screwed it up (see at the tire position).
Oh well, it's all about the learning process. Lesson learned: don't just leave translites hanging next to where you do messy stuff. This will put me back another week or so, but I was psyched at how it looks all together, shit happens as they say.
IMG_20230117_214849898_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20230117_214849898_HDR (resized).jpg

#655 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

F'n disaster... I was putting together the Finish Line for a final photo shoot and I noticed a drop of something on the translite. Figured some Windex on a microfiber would take care of it.
Instead I smeared whatever chemical that was and screwed it up (see at the tire position).
Oh well, it's all about the learning process. Lesson learned: don't just leave translites hanging next to where you do messy stuff. This will put me back another week or so, but I was psyched at how it looks all together, shit happens as they say.
[quoted image]

Yeah shit happens! Can’t wait to see the finished product.

1 week later
#656 1 year ago

Doing the webbing on the last remaining cabinets for this run, then I should be able to ship out a small batch before I look towards run #4!
Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 11-07-50 Ayscrim Studios (@ayscrimstudios) • Instagram photos and videos (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-01-24 at 11-07-50 Ayscrim Studios (@ayscrimstudios) • Instagram photos and videos (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-01-24 at 11-07-59 Ayscrim Studios (@ayscrimstudios) • Instagram photos and videos (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-01-24 at 11-07-59 Ayscrim Studios (@ayscrimstudios) • Instagram photos and videos (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-01-24 at 11-08-06 Ayscrim Studios (@ayscrimstudios) • Instagram photos and videos (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-01-24 at 11-08-06 Ayscrim Studios (@ayscrimstudios) • Instagram photos and videos (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-01-24 at 11-08-13 Ayscrim Studios (@ayscrimstudios) • Instagram photos and videos (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-01-24 at 11-08-13 Ayscrim Studios (@ayscrimstudios) • Instagram photos and videos (resized).png

#657 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

[quoted image]

Here we go again!

IMG_20230124_131444284 (resized).jpgIMG_20230124_131444284 (resized).jpg
#658 1 year ago

Alright, after a few mishaps, Finish Line is finished.
Next up, put the finishing touch on a few more I have in the pipeline and set things up for the next run.

IMG_4723 (resized).JPGIMG_4723 (resized).JPGIMG_4727 (resized).JPGIMG_4727 (resized).JPGIMG_4728 (resized).JPGIMG_4728 (resized).JPGIMG_4746 (resized).JPGIMG_4746 (resized).JPG
#659 1 year ago

Work in progress...

IMG_20230204_152304189~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20230204_152304189~2 (resized).jpg
#660 1 year ago

A bit more pop

IMG_20230206_194255321 (resized).jpgIMG_20230206_194255321 (resized).jpg
#661 1 year ago

It’s here and it’s beautiful! Thanks again!

84089B4D-393A-45E0-BFD9-546CDE345B91 (resized).jpeg84089B4D-393A-45E0-BFD9-546CDE345B91 (resized).jpeg
#662 1 year ago

Add me to the list, thank you.

Now to work up a translite for my favorite “up next” title on the wedge head acquisition list. I figure at some point, when I get the clock, it will keep me going by inspiring my search for that one title that has eluded me. Currently that’s Sky*Line.

#663 1 year ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Add me to the list, thank you.

You got it!
To give a bit of status - I'm almost through the 3rd run and I'm starting planning for #4. I don't have many things I want to improve for that one, the process and build are starting to be pretty mature, but I do have a few tweaks I have to do which I'll post about over here.

Thanks for following!
Again, for those that have Instagram, I post some slightly different stuff over there as well: https://www.instagram.com/ayscrimstudios/

#664 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

You got it!
To give a bit of status - I'm almost through the 3rd run and I'm starting planning for #4.

How many do you make for a typical run?

#665 1 year ago
Quoted from docquest:

How many do you make for a typical run?

Incrementing each time - I'm looking at maybe 20+ for the next one.

#666 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Incrementing each time - I'm looking at maybe 20+ for the next one.

20 would be great because you told me I was 20'th in the que last time I asked. Really looking forward to one of these awesome looking clocks.

#667 1 year ago

Got my clock; the thing is a work of art. Thank you for all the effort in making these available!

One thing I was wondering is if the "24 hour clock" is something you had considered coding? e.g. instead of 04:45 pm it would shouw 14:45 .

Give the left most score real some more use and we tend to use 24 hour clocks where we can FWIW!

I don't think that is a deal breaker for anybody, just surprised it had not come in the thread more often!

Jason

#668 1 year ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Got my clock; the thing is a work of art. Thank you for all the effort in making these available!
One thing I was wondering is if the "24 hour clock" is something you had considered coding? e.g. instead of 04:45 pm it would shouw 14:45 .
Give the left most score real some more use and we tend to use 24 hour clocks where we can FWIW!
I don't think that is a deal breaker for anybody, just surprised it had not come in the thread more often!
Jason

I thought the exact same thing today when looking at mine!

#669 1 year ago

To throw a bug in your ear, what would it take to add an “animation feature” output port? Or if no extra digital output, to add an old school simple cam driven switch off of one reels to get a once per minute or hour output that can be used to trigger any feature we want to cook up ourselves? Think opening the Subway doors, or putting in a mini Central Park Monkey ringing the bell, or a two coil ball juggler, single coil cannon shot, or if you got slick in your 3D print, do a MIBS like animation that fires a ball every six seconds for 10 balls racking them up, then letting a cam on a minute reel reset them when the minute rolls. If you need ideas, I have plenty. I can also 3D model in Solidworks

#670 1 year ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

To throw a bug in your ear, what would it take to add an “animation feature” output port? Or if no extra digital output, to add an old school simple cam driven switch off of one reels to get a once per minute or hour output that can be used to trigger any feature we want to cook up ourselves? Think opening the Subway doors, or putting in a mini Central Park Monkey ringing the bell, or a two coil ball juggler, single coil cannon shot, or if you got slick in your 3D print, do a MIBS like animation that fires a ball every six seconds for 10 balls racking them up, then letting a cam on a minute reel reset them when the minute rolls. If you need ideas, I have plenty. I can also 3D model in Solidworks

I had thought about chimes on the hour and half hour.

#671 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I had thought about chimes on the hour and half hour.

Me too, but why get greedy? I thought how about 4 chime output configurable to be output as bells, chimes, knocker, generic coil, or configurable pulse width outputs with slo/med/fast duration then went back to kiss program with single output, analog if need be.

#672 1 year ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Jason

I was sort of pushing back on it because I feel it's more period correct with the regular 12h cycle, and with the first implementation of the code it wasn't that simple to switch it. Since then I have updated the code and I have produced a 24h version for somebody which they installed successfully.
What I can do is figure a way to make it togglable without needing to update the hardware. I'll think of something and get that out there.

#673 1 year ago

I'm still not happy enough with the build and process to add another level of complexity myself (although I am open to getting there and you guys have cool ideas), but I do think at least making it possible for extensions to be "triggered" wouldn't be that big a deal. If I'm going to have another batch without too much delay I'd rather not play around with the PCB right now though.
Will think of something.
One thing to keep in mind is that there isn't a lot of room between the glass and the panel so it would surely be a challenge to do the things you mention, but I'd be interested to see what people come up with.

Stay tuned, I'll put this on my list for the next few weeks.

#674 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

I thought the exact same thing today when looking at mine!

Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Jason

Quoted from PhilGreg:

I was sort of pushing back on it because I feel it's more period correct with the regular 12h cycle, and with the first implementation of the code it wasn't that simple to switch it. Since then I have updated the code and I have produced a 24h version for somebody which they installed successfully.
What I can do is figure a way to make it togglable without needing to update the hardware. I'll think of something and get that out there.

That’s me. I have it set on 24 hrs and love it that way. The only issue is that it then required a full manual calibration after updating the firmware. Not complicated but maybe not for everyone.

#675 1 year ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

That’s me. I have it set on 24 hrs and love it that way. The only issue is that it then required a full manual calibration after updating the firmware. Not complicated but maybe not for everyone.

That's another thing I'll need to look into - it's not supposed to behave that way and it should normally remember that calibration.
So... for the next ones that come out I'll have it coded right out of the gate (a way to toggle it), and for the other ones I'll do some testing so that you don't have to go through that if you do update.

Cheers!
Philippe

#676 1 year ago

Alright - by default in 12H mode.
Hold Hours button, then Minutes button, then let go -> 24H mode
Again -> Test Mode (this is for me, loops through all the numbers every 10 seconds)
Again -> Back to 12H mode (it takes a few increments to kick back in as you can see in the video, but good enough for now)

Forgot to film that bit, but it also remembers what mode it was in if you turn it off.

Will now look to see if I can reproduce the wiped out calibration when updating firmware issue.

#677 1 year ago

Currently packaging the Firmware update and writing up instructions, I should have that ready to beta test this week hopefully. Updates include:
-seconds reset when pressing a button (so you can adjust it exactly to the second)
-toggle between 12h and 24h mode

#678 1 year ago

Wow. Was not expecting that to be on the way so quickly!

You will beat me to getting my art sorted by a mile

#679 1 year ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Wow. Was not expecting that to be on the way so quickly!
You will beat me to getting my art sorted by a mile

Thanks to BC_Gambit for beta testing the firmware update. He now has his clock running in 24h mode.
Disclaimer, he has one of the more recent builds, so I can't yet guarantee that older runs would not get the calibration reset by the update, which may add extra steps.
The length of the instructions make me realize it's still a bit too complicated so I'll see if I can make it more into a 1-click affair. You may want to wait for this, or go right ahead with the update if you want the new features.
Again, this includes the 24h mode support and an update that makes the second reset anytime you do an adjustment, which makes it possible to adjust it precisely to the second.

Instructions here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19I8UIx_k7-pg4CmxcIvJXVwoD_0Fltia3z2H7_Xdvv0/edit?usp=sharing

#680 1 year ago

So folks, some more news - I have one or two more clocks to go on this run and then it's on to #4.

I have a few improvements I'm working on and that I'm waiting to see progress on before I give a bit more info.
One of those things is that I'm looking to iterate once more on the PCB after all - I lost my latest design when I switched computers so I sorta have to redo a lot of the work I had done, but I'm taking the opportunity to have the director of electrical engineering at my job to have a look at it with me first (really overkill for such a simple project, but I talk to him everyday so why not!)
I'm looking at adding an extra 5V power output + digital output(s) if you guys want to build extensions of some sort.
Last, I have some more custom art I'm working on on the side.

So, a lot more to come, stay tuned!

#681 1 year ago

PhilGreg very cool to come back into this thread after a few weeks and see all the cool stuff.. The art & box painting on Finish line came out great, and the Hell on Wheels line art is great. Is that your own sketch or are you copy-editing that from something else?

Also very cool you coded the 24-hour clock option, thanks for that feature. I'm going to try it this week!

#682 1 year ago
Quoted from Dr-Tommy:

PhilGreg very cool to come back into this thread after a few weeks and see all the cool stuff.. The art & box painting on Finish line came out great, and the Hell on Wheels line art is great. Is that your own sketch or are you copy-editing that from something else?
Also very cool you coded the 24-hour clock option, thanks for that feature. I'm going to try it this week!

Thank you sir!
It is my own sketch, I drew the bikers from some photo I found on the internet, but that's about it. I think the whole thing's gonna come out pretty cool, can't wait to showcase it!

Cheers!
Philippe

#684 1 year ago

About ready to put in an order for the updated PCB design, including a 5V source and 3 digital outputs.

IMG_20230303_071117890 (resized).jpgIMG_20230303_071117890 (resized).jpg
#685 1 year ago

I figured the firmware update process was a little complicated, so I made a 1-click, no install, version of the updater software:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

If anybody wants to try it out, here is the link - let me know if you do and tell me how it went so I can confirm it's good to go for everybody else. (Obviously I have tested it myself already).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x7a4B9NWlGV4oGep5el1kgbiubVUizdd/view?usp=share_link

My background is in software and it might be obvious, but that's the general rule of thumb IMO: anytime you can write a step by step script of how to do something, especially if it doesn't require expert decisions, it can probably automated into as close to a 1-click operation as possible.

#686 1 year ago

I'm late catching up on a lot of the messages so I may have missed it.
Have you considered offering some pin-art overlays? I can customize the box pretty easily but getting some nice art would be sweet.

#687 1 year ago

I’d like to be added to the list. What kind of information do I need to provide? Thank you!

-Doug

#688 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I'm late catching up on a lot of the messages so I may have missed it.
Have you considered offering some pin-art overlays? I can customize the box pretty easily but getting some nice art would be sweet.

I know people here have made translites for each other based on existing IP, I'm sure someone will poke you. If not, there is some original art in the works, it would probably make sense to make some translites for sale of those who want that and put it up on the website. I should be able to do that as I get into the next run.

Quoted from halflip87:

I’d like to be added to the list. What kind of information do I need to provide? Thank you!
-Doug

None, I added you to the list already, will poke you when the time comes.

Cheers!
Philippe

1 week later
#689 1 year ago

Just picked up the latest batch of cabinet parts. The guy's working on some cool stuff in there!

IMG_20230318_131209003_HDR~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20230318_131209003_HDR~2 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230318_131022336~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20230318_131022336~2 (resized).jpg

#690 1 year ago

This is so cool. Im in toronto and im drooling right now. Have u thought of incorporating a slot machine type of effect where the reels can spin say, to tell the date? Or have a chimebox as an alarm?

#691 1 year ago
Quoted from trueno92:

This is so cool. Im in toronto and im drooling right now. Have u thought of incorporating a slot machine type of effect where the reels can spin say, to tell the date? Or have a chimebox as an alarm?

Well keep in mind that the reels do spin relatively slowly compared to a slot machine, but I have recently implemented a 12h/24h mode so I could imagine some way were it would alternate between hours and date or something.
Yes, chimebox as an alarm has been pitched, I do like the idea. I have added an extra output to the board which I'm currently testing, that could be an interesting add on.

#692 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I'm keeping an eye out for this as well. I would be happy to purchase a nice clock translite from some one.

#693 1 year ago

Guys, I have to figure out how to make this happen but I'm starting to have a few original designs as well I'm working on. I'll see how to make those available in the future, maybe people can even swap them to switch things up.

#694 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Guys, I have to figure out how to make this happen but I'm starting to have a few original designs as well I'm working on. I'll see how to make those available in the future, maybe people can even swap them to switch things up.

Philippe, you were fast with the writing the one-click update for the 24-hour function. I will try this on my clock tomorrow and report back.

For the translite designs, I am also working on a few. You can just perhaps create a sharepoint drive or something to use as a design library, and we can all drop in our designs so your other customers can browse and download them if they want. You can perhaps also list a few of the favorite translite printing companies in Canada and NORAM in general that people can use to get them printed on the translite plastic.

I have 3 designs I'm working on now (time permitting)...

2 weeks later
#695 1 year ago

It's been a while since I gave news so here goes. Waiting for parts to get going on the next run. In the meantime I'm cutting stencils, some for themes, and here's one to make the boxes look a little cooler.

IMG_20230408_161609953 (resized).jpgIMG_20230408_161609953 (resized).jpg

Also, I was on vacation in Florida for the last two weeks in a house the painted the same color as this

3 weeks later
#696 11 months ago

I've been pretty quiet for a while, but I had a few things going behind the scenes.
This one is a pretty big milestone for me and it was one I had to take baby steps towards.
I'm proud to show the first injection molded, screen printed, prototypes of the score reels.

IMG_20230501_185809328~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20230501_185809328~2 (resized).jpg

I'll talk a bit about the technical details towards this in the following posts.

#697 11 months ago

These are just awesome clocks! Keep up the amazing work!

#698 11 months ago

I can't wait to get one!

#699 11 months ago

Damnit! I might end up being the proud owner of a second clock!

#700 11 months ago

Let me walk you through the evolution of the reels (a bit of a recap, as most of it was already documented here).

When I was prototyping, the first iteration was using an opto. The reel had a blade that was sticking out that would have activated the opto as it went through it.

What I ended up doing for the first run was instead to use microswitches. The notch inside the reel would activate them:

Although this worked well (I still have 2 of that model running at home and they're still doing good after a few years), they would be a pain to adjust. As I built the clocks, I would sometimes realize that one of the switches was not getting pushed down far enough and would need to deassemble the whole thing, adjust it and reassemble.

That first batch of reels was ordered through an online 3D printing service. They would come in very rough and I'd have to spend a lot of time sanding them:

This would take me almost 10 minutes per reel as I'd have to work my way up the grits. It was super loud and not fun to do. As you can see from my picture, I made a little setup for the sander, but didn't think that I had to leave it space to breathe, so I ended up blowing it up since I had blocked the air intake

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

There are 918 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-score-reel-clock-project/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.