pasted_image (resized).png
d35c8d407d8a3461f65a822644289656.jpg
tumblr_o9q303YFhT1uzae1ko1_500.gif
IMG_4644 (resized).JPG
IMG_4638 (resized).JPG

There are 632 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 13.
#601 19 days ago

Fresh score reels... can you tell what's in the background?

IMG_4590 (resized).JPG

#602 19 days ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

can you tell what's in the background

Pegboard.
What do I win.

#603 17 days ago

I still have a kit in the shipping box. I moved in the summer and mostly unpacked now and I look forward to finally opening the kit this winter.

Quoted from PhilGreg:

Fresh score reels... can you tell what's in the background?
[quoted image]

Partial remains of the front panel of a Power Play cabinet

#604 16 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I still have a kit in the shipping box. I moved in the summer and mostly unpacked now and I look forward to finally opening the kit this winter.

Partial remains of the front panel of a Power Play cabinet

Yes!
Awesome, let me know if you need help!

#605 15 days ago

Working on the next custom project, this time with stencils to go for that classic EM overspray look! (video at https://www.instagram.com/p/ClAaWwEgaNY/)

#606 10 days ago

While I'm waiting for the translite for that one, somebody asked for a racing theme and I felt like giving that a shot.
Here's where I'm at now...

Screenshot_20221120-174116 (resized).png
#607 10 days ago

I have shipped some clocks last week, currently progressing on putting some more together - the people next in line will be contacted shortly!

#608 10 days ago

Just got my clock and am thrilled need a new clock in the den now that we don't have a cable box. Looks fantastic even the wife likes it. Phil did a great job packaging it and used nice material to ensure it arrives in one piece. Thanks again!
Al

#609 10 days ago

sorry duplicate post

#610 10 days ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I have shipped some clocks last week, currently progressing on putting some more together - the people next in line will be contacted shortly!

Is there a way telling where we stand in line?

#611 10 days ago

By asking! PM'd.

#612 9 days ago

Please add me to your list. Thanks!

#613 7 days ago

So Black_Knight was looking for a clock for his Vertigo arcade - I thought the theme was inspiring so I figured I'd try doing a custom design for that.
Here's what the translite, printed by Atari_Daze, looks like.
Will take pictures of the full clock tomorrow.

IMG_4614 (resized).JPG

#615 7 days ago

Just found this thread. I need to just browse the homebrew forum more often, I've spotted so many great threads that I'd missed in all the noise.

What a fantastic project, just read all 13 pages and got to watch your entire progress from start to finish. I relate very much to how you so obviously enjoy the process of learning and improving things. It was clearly "good enough" a while back and it just kept getting better anyways.

I have no idea where I would even fit one of these, but the idea of making a custom translite for one is super appealing.

Also: slightly off topic, but that flyer for your band is great, love the character, who did it? Is that your art?

#616 6 days ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just found this thread. I need to just browse the homebrew forum more often, I've spotted so many great threads that I'd missed in all the noise.
What a fantastic project, just read all 13 pages and got to watch your entire progress from start to finish. I relate very much to how you so obviously enjoy the process of learning and improving things. It was clearly "good enough" a while back and it just kept getting better anyways.
I have no idea where I would even fit one of these, but the idea of making a custom translite for one is super appealing.
Also: slightly off topic, but that flyer for your band is great, love the character, who did it? Is that your art?

Thank you for the kind words, that's very appreciated. Yeah at some point I stopped questioning whether it made sense to spend all this time on this project and figured I'd just keep going and going - I'm glad people are into it!

It's not a flyer, it's the cover art for an EP. No I did not do it myself, my bandmate Marc-André Carrier came up with the design and made the drawing, and a local sign painter, Pierre Tardif, did the lettering by hand and I later digitized it. It's now in my daughter's bedroom.

Marc-André works at an animation studio and is a not much short of a genius in my book. Super talented musician who can pick up most instruments and easily become proficient, and he's obsessed with his animation trade. He's into the old school stuff, and for the EP we were having trouble coming up with an idea, and he turned me on to the UPA animation style (super interesting documentary here:

) and we figured we'd give that a shot, so that's what he came up with and I thought it was a homerun. I made sure to pass him the comment!

You'll probably dig the back art too:

102404485_4017675598304222_8843535282499223552_n (resized).jpg

Didn't have the time to take pictures of the complete Vertigo clock - will do that either tomorrow or over the weekend.

#617 6 days ago

I love UPA's style, and the sign painter influence is also both strong and a great match, just a very strong package. Hard to see the scale exactly in that photo, but is that a 7"?

One of the accomplishments of my youth I'm still proud of was cutting a couple 12" records on vinyl. What's old is new, I guess it's all popular again.

I've got the pink TNA 7", love seeing pinball and my old obsessions collide. What you've got here looks really good too.

#618 6 days ago
Quoted from Aurich:

but the idea of making a custom translite for one is super appealing.

As a lucky owner of one of PhilGreg's clocks, I would be interested to see that!

#619 6 days ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

As a lucky owner of one of PhilGreg's clocks, I would be interested to see that!

+1

#620 6 days ago

Hey you never know what might happen.

#621 5 days ago

And here we go!
Custom design for Vertigo Pinball!

IMG_4639 (resized).JPG
IMG_4638 (resized).JPG

#622 5 days ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Wow, really wish I could give more than 1 up vote!

#623 4 days ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

And here we go!

Just saw the short video you put on Instagram, looks amazing! Paint apps match really well, nice work on top of your already cool clock.

I'm even more inspired now to make a few custom mini translites, I have some ideas for next year, but plan to enjoy your clock (still en route to Switzerland) in its naked form for awhile.

For all the fans here of the EM era, what are some nice surf, Tiki, beach themed titles with decent art? I looked through the machine archives but not sure what the popular titles were. Considering making a translite like PhilGreg did on the original...

I won't paint the case though so I can always swap translites time to time...

#624 4 days ago
Quoted from Dr-Tommy:

For all the fans here of the EM era, what are some nice surf, Tiki, beach themed titles with decent art? I looked through the machine archives but not sure what the popular titles were. Considering making a translite like PhilGreg did on the original...
I won't paint the case though so I can always swap translites time to time...

Surf Champ was one of my favorite mini translite ideas. I actually want to do a custom one, just waiting until my brain can percolate some decent ideas. It's gonna be bowling themed.

#625 4 days ago

I put up a website - I put a link to the translite template (Photoshop psd format) at the bottom for those who want it.
https://ayscrimstudios.com/

#626 3 days ago

The clock looks awesome and I can't wait to put this in the Arcade! Will send pics when we get it installed.

#627 1 day ago

Maybe I can explain a little bit more about the inspiration before I ship this out.
The idea I had first was the side art. That's pretty simple, that's the drawing in the glasses for your logo:

IMG_4644 (resized).JPG

Then that made me think of this in the Simpsons:

tumblr_o9q303YFhT1uzae1ko1_500.gif

So I went looking for some falling person picture for inspiration for the translite art. Found this:

d35c8d407d8a3461f65a822644289656.jpg

I pretty much traced over it and added glasses, and looked at the Jet Spin art to figure out how to do the falling down the hole thing.

Ottawa-Pinball-Arcade-Jet-Spin-768x780.jpg

My first idea for the front art was this:

PINSIDE_FrontPanelTemplate(3).png

But then I thought about this:

pinball-baseball6.jpg

So I figured I'd make the swirl go outside the translite.

Finally, made a mockup to see which color scheme I liked best.

VertigoMockupBlue.png
VertigoMockupGreen.png

And now you know the method to the madness

#628 1 day ago

First thing I thought of was Grand Slam. What a design.

As you know I've been ... pondering this. And it's an interesting thought process to think about what's period accurate and what just "feels" like it.

We can get away with a lot in digital that would have been a nightmare to screen print. But you can play off certain cues to still evoke the right vibe.

#629 1 day ago

Mine arrived safely several days ago and I am very much looking forward to adding a translite (and figuring out how best to do so). Thanks for uploaded the template as mentioned above and thanks for producing such a fun product.

#630 1 day ago

Seeing the customized clocks, builds my excitement to do my own someday… just hoping that your enthusiasm keeps up until my name pops up on the list.

#631 4 hours ago

More progress on the "Finish Line" custom project. I sorta had the same mindset as Aurich mentioned with it being period correct, but didn't go crazy with it. For instance, this wouldn't really be screen-printable. Too many different colors. Also, you can tell I used a font for the title and didn't hand trace that. And again, I'm by no means a proper graphic designer and not that great at drawing so my main subject (the car) was pretty much traced over the picture.

IMG_20221201_113748259_HDR (resized).jpg

#632 3 hours ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I'm by no means a proper graphic designer and not that great at drawing

Don't sell yourself short, it looks great. Nothing wrong with using a reference. I do that all the time, or collage stock art together in various ways combined with hand drawing. You still end up with an original piece in the end.

And yeah, the "this couldn't be screen printed" part is what I really meant. I'm not overly worrying about that, just thinking about the overall look. If the background is painterly but the title and front art have a more flat screen printed look for instance I think that carries enough.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 632 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!