(Topic ID: 125919)

Score Reel Clocks by Ayscrim Studios - Space Girl Eclipse Edition!

By PhilGreg

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 918 posts
  • 145 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by PhilGreg
  • Topic is favorited by 139 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Gottlieb theme should I do next? Reply in thread for me to add others.”

• Slick Chick 1 vote
    17%
  • Astro 1 vote
    17%
  • Universe 0 votes
  • Abra Ca Dabra 2 votes
    33%
  • Centigrade 37 0 votes
  • Flying Carpet 2 votes
    33%

(6 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240411_163837~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_162316 (resized).jpg
20240412_190438~2 (resized).jpg
20240412_145147~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_212238~4 (resized).jpg
20240413_183900~2 (resized).jpg
20240413_121324~2 (resized).jpg
SGE1 (resized).png
20240409_065835 (resized).png
SGE1 (resized).png
SGE4 (resized).png
SGE5 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11-49-16 Ayscrim Studios (@ayscrimstudios) • Instagram photos and videos (resized).png
20240407_170705~2 (resized).jpg
pintastic (resized).png
20240320_193056 (resized).jpg
There are 918 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 19.
#551 1 year ago

I tried a bunch of different paints and inks, but I couldn't get anything but a smeary mess.
My idea was that I would have guide rails so that the wheel rolls straight, and roll it on the numbers.
I think it's still not impossible that I would be able to do that with screen printing, maybe I'll give it a shot at some point.

So, that experiment is a fail - will stick with the stickers for this run. Again, I think they look good as they are, I was mostly trying to save a little bit of time - but I'm not sure that would even have been the case had this worked properly.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#552 1 year ago

Let's put the stamping stuff aside for now - will get back to it later.

Let's keep going with the reels themselves - so, one of the pain points for me is sanding the reels. I had made a contraption using a motor for "auto sanding", but turns out that just setting things up, working through the grits, etc. is still a bigger PITA than doing it manually.
I realized that by sanding at an angle it is a lot more efficient, but still, very noisy and dusty and something I wish I could do without.

So I decided to try moulding instead. I went for a silicon mold since AFAIK there is no reasonably easy and/or inexpensive way to do DIY injection moulding, nor to do it professionally at the scale I'm working at.
I picked a nice smooth reel and tried moulding that.

Nice mould!

Let's try pouring resin now!

Overpoured, so that will need to be sanded out, but if I can tweak it just right probably a lot simpler than sanding the surface smooth. Also, since this is not the face of it it doesn't have to be perfectly smooth either.

#553 1 year ago

Man that takes me back a few years, I molded some automotive wheel center caps for a couple that got lost and were no longer available.
Pretty fun process if you ask me.
Looking good as always Phil!

#554 1 year ago

Next update for this run is that I wanted to outsource the PCB soldering and add a fuse.
When I went to outsourced, I realized there were many warnings about my design that they had me fix before they would take it up. Nothing dramatic, but I guess my design is now cleaner. The soldering also looks better than what I do, so there's that added benefit.
As far as I know there weren't reliability issues, but that should make things even more solid.

Next time I may try to go with surface mount components or even try to do away with the Arduino altogether...

#555 1 year ago

Let's get back to the stamping stuff...
So I had the idea to design a logo that I could both print to the back of the clock itself and to the box.

I came up with this - you can guess the inspiration... I like to think of it as an homage more than a rip-off

I saw the level of detail I could get with my CNC and stamp and saw that this wouldn't work for that level of detail. So I decided to order the design on one of those stamps:

Double fail - I didn't embed the font so it came out all wrong, but I figured I'd still give a shot to stamping directly on the clock to see if that works. It doesn't - another smeary mess

Again, the true answer would be screen printing, but for now I decided to settle for a decal. Pretty happy with this.

More about the "Ayscrim Studios" backstory next.

#556 1 year ago

The backstory for "Ayscrim Studios".

So a few years back I made this miniramp model while playing with my daughter and had her draw on it. She wrote "Ayscrim Delisieu" and drew an ice cream cone (Ayscrim being how she thought it was written, Delisieu meaning "Delicious" in a 5 year old's spelling).

Shortly after, I build an actual ramp and christened it with the same name.

Sometime later, my band and I had this song we were working on that didn't have lyrics, and somehow that popped up in my mind. The song is about some guy that used to like driving around with his gal to the diner and she'd go get ice cream while he gets black coffee.

https://damntheluck.bandcamp.com/album/ayscrim-delicieu?fbclid=IwAR1V0Tv6wvd2IZMYIMgHFkLwnCzZCSxycNZjsKJPSnSRDZ_cM_Q006b6hog

And... finally... I was looking for a brand name for the clocks so that's what naturally came to mind again. I imagine the Gottlieb era pinball in some ice cream parlor and I think it fits the vibe.

#557 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

The backstory for "Ayscrim Studios".

Awesome story, thanks for sharing that!

1 month later
#558 1 year ago

Here we go again!
IMG_20220908_203414265~3 (resized).jpgIMG_20220908_203414265~3 (resized).jpg

#559 1 year ago
IMG_20220908_214015211~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20220908_214015211~2 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#560 1 year ago

A few months ago I realized Instagram was not just about scantily clad ladies but that there were other interesting things.* I'm following a lot of illustrators, sign painters, skateboarding stuff, and people who built various stuff.
I figured my clocks would fit in the various stuff category, so maybe people would be interested in following.

I'm still not sure what I'll post in there and if it's all going to be cross-posting of stuff here, but if you want to find out, check this out: https://www.instagram.com/ayscrimstudios/

I've been pretty silent lately but the current build is coming along nicely, and I'm also working on a little side project with the help of another Pinsider. Stay tuned, I should have stuff to show shortly.

*Nothing against the scantily clad ladies, just that it's not ideal to have an app dedicated to that purpose when you're spoken for and that you have kids that always want to use your phone.

#561 1 year ago

The progression has been enjoyable to watch...the housings look tight! Any chance you can share who will be lucky enough to get one this batch? Eagerly awaiting my opportunity to own one of your creations.

cheers,

Rody

#562 1 year ago

Following. Would love to have one of these!

#563 1 year ago

Are these for sale anywhere?

#564 1 year ago

These are awesome! Great work. How do I get in on these?

#565 1 year ago

Any chance you could post an updated "interest" list so that we can see where we are in queue? Cheers!

#566 1 year ago

I'm going at this project in a very exploratory manner, trying to see how I can improve what, how much time I'm spending where, whether it's worth the trouble from a pure money standpoint (answer: no, as with most pinball-related topics there are many much more lucrative ways to spend your time unless you're named Stern) and if not from a labor of love, personal growth and so forth perspective (so far, yes).

In that regard I decided not to take preorder money so that I don't feel pressured to deliver and can keep exploring at will, but also so that I can leave myself some latitude in what I want to do with the produced clocks. So far the idea is still to mostly offer them to people in the order I took names in, although I may make a few exceptions for various reasons.
I currently have 55 people in the backlog (including the 5 people right above this post) - if you want to know your exact spot please PM me. Rody I'm sorry you would not make the cut for this run, but likely the next one. (Again, no commitments! )

Thanks for following and stay posted!

#567 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I'm going at this project in a very exploratory manner, trying to see how I can improve what, how much time I'm spending where, whether it's worth the trouble from a pure money standpoint (answer: no, as with most pinball-related topics there are many much more lucrative ways to spend your time unless you're named Stern) and if not from a labor of love, personal growth and so forth perspective (so far, yes).
In that regard I decided not to take preorder money so that I don't feel pressured to deliver and can keep exploring at will, but also so that I can leave myself some latitude in what I want to do with the produced clocks. So far the idea is still to mostly offer them to people in the order I took names in, although I may make a few exceptions for various reasons.
I currently have 55 people in the backlog (including the 5 people right above this post) - if you want to know your exact spot please PM me. Rody I'm sorry you would not make the cut for this run, but likely the next one. (Again, no commitments! )
Thanks for following and stay posted!

Awesome. Glad to be on the list.

#568 1 year ago

I decided to try the Gottlieb webbing for the clocks, and I like it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjDypP_gCuf/

#569 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I decided to try the Gottlieb webbing for the clocks, and I like it.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CjDypP_gCuf/
[quoted image]

That looks Great!.

#570 1 year ago

Got a nice package from Houston, TX today. More on this later.

#571 1 year ago

Well poo… cool clocks come to those who wait (I hope)

1 week later
#572 1 year ago
IMG_20221008_201942411_HDR~3 (resized).jpgIMG_20221008_201942411_HDR~3 (resized).jpg
#573 1 year ago

I would love to get one of these.

#574 1 year ago

Working on a little one-off custom project.

#575 1 year ago

I'm pretty much finished with my little custom project. Just need to take some nice pictures and will post here.
You should be able to guess the theme pretty easily with this video
https://www.instagram.com/p/CjxpxNYgz5J/

#576 1 year ago

Alright, here goes!
So I talked with robin some time back and he expressed interest in getting a clock. I enjoy doing "themed" clocks but don't want to mess with IP I don't own, and I'm not sure I'm quite ready to come up with my own original theme. So I figured I'd come up with a Pinside-themed clock in case robin would be interested in it (again, he just "expressed interest", never said he'd actually get one, let alone ask for a custom theme )
In any case I'm not sure this project would exist if it weren't for this site so I figured it was my little tribute.

For the font I went with a Kings & Queens inspiration, and the graphic behind it is an interpretation of the Surf Champ playfield.
Thanks to Atari_Daze for providing the translite print and the side stencils.

IMG_4520 (resized).JPGIMG_4520 (resized).JPG
IMG_4524 (resized).JPGIMG_4524 (resized).JPG
IMG_4546 (resized).JPGIMG_4546 (resized).JPG
IMG_4532 (resized).JPGIMG_4532 (resized).JPG
IMG_4553 (resized).JPGIMG_4553 (resized).JPG
IMG_4548 (resized).JPGIMG_4548 (resized).JPG

bg1 (resized).JPGbg1 (resized).JPG
surf_champ_playfield_03 (resized).jpgsurf_champ_playfield_03 (resized).jpg

#577 1 year ago

Lookin great!

#578 1 year ago

Love it. Beautiful work.

#580 1 year ago

Wow! Nice!

Would buy one of these in a heartbeat. Offer a version without the “Pinside” overlay (or just a replacement backglass) - even better.

#581 1 year ago

Philippe,

That custom Pinside clock you made is awesome. Really nice work. I want one!

#582 1 year ago

So, is Robin getting it? Will look great at the Headquarters.
Can't wait till my number and turn come up.
This is just amazing stuff.

#583 1 year ago

Fantastic product! I would love to be added to the next batch please!

#584 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

So, is Robin getting it? Will look great at the Headquarters.
Can't wait till my number and turn come up.
This is just amazing stuff.

Yes, will make its way to the headquarters.

#585 1 year ago
Quoted from Jenkins:

Fantastic product! I would love to be added to the next batch please!

Not for next batch, but taking your name down.

Sorry, I've been alone with the kids this week so could not progress much but I have a couple that are all but ready to go.

#586 1 year ago

Fresh one off the line!

IMG_20221023_092207316~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20221023_092207316~2 (resized).jpg

#587 1 year ago

Crap. Just had to put in an order for packing foam, I'd forgotten about that part
It will be a few days until it gets here, then I'll be ready to ship a few units.
Cheers!

1 week later
#588 1 year ago

Alright folks! A rare happening lately, I'm home alone this weekend. This means I'll be able to work on the clocks!
As you can see I have a few ready to go and some more getting ready. Will message people in order, check your inbox!
IMG_20221104_183441469~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20221104_183441469~2 (resized).jpg

#589 1 year ago

Hope I’m somewhere on the list. These are awesome!

#590 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Hope I’m somewhere on the list. These are awesome!

You are - pretty far down but I'm starting to have the process ironed out and may get a little help from my girlfriend in the next few months so I might be able to go a tad faster.

#591 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

You are - pretty far down but I'm starting to have the process ironed out and may get a little help from my girlfriend in the next few months so I might be able to go a tad faster.

These are worth waiting for. My wife doesn’t like that there is no clock downstairs.

AC7B4B07-42A9-4793-960A-93B2F643CC14 (resized).jpegAC7B4B07-42A9-4793-960A-93B2F643CC14 (resized).jpeg
#592 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Alright folks! A rare happening lately, I'm home alone this weekend. This means I'll be able to work on the clocks!
As you can see I have a few ready to go and some more getting ready. Will message people in order, check your inbox!
[quoted image]

Ohh I'm getting excited!
Thank your Girl friend from all of us for her help.

#593 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

These are worth waiting for. My wife doesn’t like that there is no clock downstairs.
[quoted image]

Wow that's beautiful. Indeed it would be an honor to see one of my clocks among this lineup! Will try to make it happen !

#594 1 year ago

I think I am somewhere way down on your list as well. Super excited and worth the wait. What backglass goes in the non Pinside clocks?

#595 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

I think I am somewhere way down on your list as well. Super excited and worth the wait. What backglass goes in the non Pinside clocks?

None! I can send a template if you want to make your own.

#596 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

None! I can send a template if you want to make your own.

Awesome! I am excited for my name to get called!

#597 1 year ago

Been following this thread for quite a while now, so it was great to hear from you @PhilGreg! PayPal sent.

Amazing to see such progress compared to your first coil-firing prototype years ago. Happy to have a chance to own such an unique mechanical hommage to the pinball of yesteryears (and to support Ayscrim Studios!).

At some point next year I'll try adding a few different translite designs to the clock and post back here with the results.

Keep up the great work, your methodology and the build quality and attention to detail is impressive!

#598 1 year ago

A little teaser of the next custom project I'm working on - picked up stencils today...

#599 1 year ago

Payment sent, anticipation grows. Now to go back through the thread and find the info on making a translite for the clock. Thanks, Philippe!

#600 1 year ago
Quoted from Evets:

Payment sent, anticipation grows. Now to go back through the thread and find the info on making a translite for the clock. Thanks, Philippe!

FYI for the printing, you can call any local print shop and ask for a backlit plastic - the material will likely be duratrans. At my local shop they will print it for about 12$, and for 20$ extra they will mechanically cut out the holes for the numbers. You can also do it with a brand new x-acto knife.
I will send you the template so you can do it on your end.

One thing to notice though is that I have started putting a rubber/foam strip between the reel assembly and the wood panel to help protect it during transport and also keep it from sliding around without having to screw it in too tight.
What happens though is that when you have a translite the numbers sit a little too far back for my liking (I noticed it when doing the Pinside clock). I will correct that by machining the pocket the reel sits in deeper on the next iterations, but for this run I suggest you remove the foam strip if you want to put in a translite.
Without a translite it looks just fine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 918 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-score-reel-clock-project/page/12?hl=jenkins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.