20160219_191003_(resized).jpg
d0388cc66fbcc665c61becfed7517df391a7a8a4_(resized).jpg
7fcbf9d74a80fddd0377abe025bca6777155fa2b_(resized).jpg
c51f30c40f557d81d3a02126ba859b29fda1343f_(resized).png
bracket_MFG_21752_(resized).jpg
IMG_1074_(resized).JPG
IMG_1073_(resized).JPG
IMG_1072_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Model237.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I have a bunch of broken nylon score reel brackets in my 1964 Gottlieb Big Top. The reels slide around and bump the lamp sockets up front, leaving marks on the numbers. They also slide out the back when tilted, which is scary.

Pretty sure I've read that no replacements are available.

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

Maybe a PCB guide like this could be cut to size:
http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/pcg/51019

IMG_1072_(resized).JPGIMG_1072_(resized).JPG

IMG_1073_(resized).JPGIMG_1073_(resized).JPG

IMG_1074_(resized).JPGIMG_1074_(resized).JPG

#3 8 years ago

Certainly a a last resort, but being that I need 32 of them, I was hoping an alternative might exist

#7 8 years ago

Yeah, these old things are crumbly like parmesan. Do they always get that way?

A good donor would be ideal, but I prefer the idea of finding a good replacement. There's some stress on that little hole, and even an intact old one could fail any time.

Any one ever try a PC Board slide? I was thinking of ordering a four-foot length of the profile below (~$25) and cutting it to size. Not exactly original, but maybe functional. Use tiny nuts & bolts to attach where rivets were...

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=189452109&uq=635905282221158747
bracket_MFG_21752_(resized).jpgbracket_MFG_21752_(resized).jpg

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

It's a two player. Wouldn't you need 16?
In any case, as a solution, all I can figure is to remove everything from the head. It might be possible, since it appears from the pictures that only the very ends are broken off, that you could drill some small holes through the guides just in a bit from the broken off ends, and through the plate of the reel assembly, and use cotter pins to hold the assembly in place. It would be kind of a last resort but it should work. Lots of effort getting all that out of the game, however.

Oops, right! I only need 16. I was looking at my Fast Draw as I typed this.

Yeah, it's a lot of work, but I'm already taking everything apart anyway - might as well do it right. Lots of corrosion on the mounting plates I want to clean up.

#15 8 years ago

These look really good, and a price I like - nice searching! I was hoping to find some flanged ones that doesn't require drilling, but most available PCB guides seem to be the pop-in-hole type. If I get some, I'll report back how they work.

Quoted from swinks:

the reason I say 4 on a sprue is shapeways charges on a volume and there is a point where going over a certain size you start to loose the sprue advantage may cost more but can try a 4 or a 8 sprue. And with Shapeways volume charge is based on volume that it takes up in the printer including the air gap between the parts.
and there is no reason why the design can't be improved on, here is the 80's ball kicker that I did for a mate where I did the original for the purists and then a slightly beefed up one to hopefully stop failures
https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinkskicker

another example is the bally backbox light shrouds that I did for a restorer here in Aus, as they were always stapled them so we tweaked to have screw holes.
https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinksshroud
there is an alternative so happy to help.

c51f30c40f557d81d3a02126ba859b29fda1343f_(resized).png7fcbf9d74a80fddd0377abe025bca6777155fa2b_(resized).jpgd0388cc66fbcc665c61becfed7517df391a7a8a4_(resized).jpg

Thanks for the Shapeways link - nice to know as a final option. Is the 3D printer plastic as strong as extruded nylon?

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

To do it right, you're either going to have to find a donor plates, or have someone 3D print the guides. If the plastic is really brittle, my fix probably won't work for long either. Drilling the holes might cause you an issue. If you can actually drill them without cracking the plastic it would hold up for a long time, but if you try drilling and it starts to crack, well, that's that.
That plastic is over 50 years old, been subjected to a lot of vibration and who the hell knows what else. Plastic gets old, it gets brittle, it breaks. Once again, game was not designed to last 50 years so no surprise it has given up the ghost.
I'll risk the wrath and say that Williams design of the same era was better. Take a look at a picture of a 1964 River Boat and see how they designed the reels to stay put. It was better. Bally and Williams just did a better job of designing a simpler, more reliable score reel assembly than Gottlieb did.

Yours is a good idea...if they weren't so brittle I'd try that. They pretty much break if touched. I was curious if the plastic in mine is more brittle because of moisture. Mine appears to have sat in a puddle for a while.

I looked up the River Boat, and it looks like the brackets were reduced to a minimum.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

They used wing nuts on a stud to hold them in place. Metal. Not plastic.

Just for argument's sake, any reason I couldn't use a metal bracket instead? Does it have to be plastic for non-conductivity or something?

1 week later
#23 8 years ago

I assume the Shapeways option would cost quite a bit more than the PCB guides off Newark.com (correct me if I'm wrong), so I'll probably order some samples in the next few weeks. Will report back how they work. If those don't work out I'll look at the Shapeways option. Thanks for offering to sketch them up!

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

I use 70's reel guides on 60's machines. I used #2 nut and bolt hardware to mount it. Works well.

Does PBR sell those?

#27 8 years ago

Very nice! And the 70's plastic is still strong?

I got my Newark order of black PCB guides. Will send pics once I get them installed, but I want to try some evaporust on the metal chassis first. Any place to buy it in the DFW area?

1 week later
#30 8 years ago

Excellent research! I hadn't considered the shared-hole interference problem on the Newark parts - rats.

Would love to hear how your PCG-3A's work out - I hope the adhesive comes off easily.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Model237.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-score-reel-brackets?tu=Model237 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.