(Topic ID: 300411)

Gottlieb's post length

By duckkillerclyde

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

241144811_1336531276744789_159520477596422067_n (1) (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Gold Strike

Recently purchased Gold Strike, getting is cleaned up a bit. It had been sitting in a rich guy's game room for about 20 years. I just wanted to replace some rubbers and light bulbs.

Here's my problem;
    The acorn nuts that hold the plastic down don't screw onto the posts far enough. They're going to be about 1/4" maybe a little more from touching the plastic. The guy I bought it from purchased it in 2000 and played maybe 100 games and he's one of those guys who has everything done for him. Doesn't even own a lawn mower type guy. He bought the game refurbished, it was a less than quality job. I know I paid too much but I enjoy the game. I've learned on what to look for on comparing pins now that I've been shopping around a lot more.

Are my nuts incorrect or are my posts incorrect?

Picture just for fun and does not show the problem.

241144811_1336531276744789_159520477596422067_n (1) (resized).jpg241144811_1336531276744789_159520477596422067_n (1) (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

The top of screws for the posts only have a bit of shaft on top of them for the acorns to screw onto so I can't fathom how you could screw them down and still have 1/4" of space between the acorn nut and the plastic. Are you sure you are screwing them on all the way and they are gripping and actually tightening down? They don't always easily screw on and you may have to push down while putting them on since the top of the screw is not actually threaded.

#3 2 years ago

In one of his videos, Tim Arnold said the plastic should be "floating"; it should not be tight under the screw. If the pal nut is biting onto the unthreaded post and not moving, and the plastic isn't falling off, everything is OK.

#4 2 years ago

You should be able to fasten an acorn all the way down until it touches the plastic. Like ts4z said, however, you don’t want to do that. You should leave a little bit of clearance so the plastic doesn’t absorb all the shock from getting struck.

That said, a quarter inch of clearance is way too much. It probably looks like somebody with a baseball cap perched on the crown of their head. When you take the acorn off, are there threads going down most of the way to the hex?

It’s possible that whoever restored this Gold Strike replaced all the hex posts, which come unthreaded. It’s up to the buyer to thread them. This requires a socket screwdriver to turn the acorn, a vise (outside the game) or palnut tool (inside the game) to hold the hex post in place, and some torque to drive the acorn down and carve the threading.

#5 2 years ago

Pics of your posts would be nice, so we can see what’s going on.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from leckmeck:

You should be able to fasten an acorn all the way down until it touches the plastic. Like ts4z said, however, you don’t want to do that. You should leave a little bit of clearance so the plastic doesn’t absorb all the shock from getting struck.
    That said, a quarter inch of clearance is way too much. It probably looks like somebody with a baseball cap perched on the crown of their head. When you take the acorn off, are there threads going down most of the way to the hex?
    It’s possible that whoever restored this Gold Strike replaced all the hex posts, which come unthreaded. It’s up to the buyer to thread them. This requires a socket screwdriver to turn the acorn, a vise (outside the game) or palnut tool (inside the game) to hold the hex post in place, and some torque to drive the acorn down and carve the threading.

When I read this post I had the same thought. It takes some work to get those acorn nuts in place. A friend gave me the clue to put a flat nut inside the socket on the nut driver, then the acorn nut, so that you can get some downward pressure on it and cut the threads keeping the nut straight. +1 on getting one of those palnut tools from PBR to hold the post while you’re doing this.

Dave

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from jasonspoint28:

Pics of your posts would be nice, so we can see what’s going on.

Maybe in a few days. I'm working on a lighting problem right now.

I think my problem is wanting to tighten everything down tight. After a recent cleaning on my Jet Spin, I probably should loosen them.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-s-post-length and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.