3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by MarkG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Motor Run-Stop (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Working on my Gottlieb Groovy. When the motor is in its normal horizonal position and the replay button is depress, the motor runs one cycle. But when it is rotated to 90 degrees+ it runs continuously. I can handle this. But I can't find any reason for why. When the motor is at 90+ and I start to lower it, the motor stops.

I have checked for lose wires, tightened the switches, moved the main bundle -- no visual breaks, no tabs touching but haven't found any problems.

As this been seen before? Any suggestions? Cold solder joint? Shall I run the game with a toothpick holding it vertical?! Thanks in advance.

Motor Run-Stop (resized).jpgMotor Run-Stop (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

I think there is a motion driven wheel on the motor and my guess is when it is 90 degrees that wheel does not move back out and the motor continues to run. If it is in the normal position then that wheel moves out and the motor stops.

#3 3 years ago

I spoke to Steve at Pinball Resource and he explained that this is normal operation. There is a clutch actuated by gravity when raised -- something like that. But thanks for your response.

#4 3 years ago

This describes the motor clutch mechanism for a Bally or Williams (horizontal shaft) motor:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-monte-carlo-reset-motor-doesn-t-stop#post-5081528

Gottlieb motors with a vertical shaft work essentially the same way except that they rely on gravity to disengage the rotor instead of a spring.

/Mark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-runaway-motor-but-not-what-you-re-thinking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.