Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2022-12-27-11-48-54-1 (resized).png
AD482D19-3BA8-43B4-A086-28575F4976EB (resized).jpeg
Royal Guard O relay (resized).jpg
Royal Guard Game Over relay (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hello All! I’m having an issue with my Gottlieb Royal Guard. It is not switching to game over after Ball 5. I have read several similar posts on here, and I have a fair amount of experience troubleshooting and restoring these machines, but still can’t nail this one down. I had it playing for about 2 days with Game Over circuit working properly, after checking/cleaning various likely suspects but never settled on a reason why it started working, and why it stopped! The score motor was replaced by someone before me, they seem to have done a good job, however, My other major issue/curiosity, is that if I add a credit to coin slot 2, it subtracts a credit and runs start up!??? I don’t own this diagram, or I’d likely have tracked this out already. Any help is appreciated, I am neither a novice or an expert, but this is one of those annoying ones! Thanks

#2 1 year ago

Here's the circuit for the X/Game Over relay.
Royal Guard Game Over relay (resized).jpgRoyal Guard Game Over relay (resized).jpg
/Mark

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Here's the circuit for the X/Game Over relay.
[quoted image]
/Mark

Thanks so much Mark! That should help. I’d really appreciate it if you could show me the circuit on the “O/Match” relay as well? This problem has got to be related to one or the other, unless it’s a bad solder point/connection somewhere. All serious issues on this machine have been cold solder points either barely touching (solder plug in terminal hole) or hanging just off connection point.

#4 1 year ago

Royal Guard O relay (resized).jpgRoyal Guard O relay (resized).jpg
I suspect if your ball return is working that the O/Match relay is behaving as it should. Any of the four switches in the X/Game Over relay circuit could be the problem, as could the Ball Count Unit. Does the Game Over work in a 3 ball game?

#5 1 year ago

Got it! Thanks again! It was a “single contact” at score motor that looked closed but was not. I had been misunderstanding the card for score motor control, looking at wrong switch bank! Duh. Lesson learned…again…found a bunch of other small fixes/adjustments so worth it. Still having odd coin slot 2 issue(s), which do not affect playability so don’t much concern me at this time; think I need to buy the whole diagram to track that one.

AD482D19-3BA8-43B4-A086-28575F4976EB (resized).jpegAD482D19-3BA8-43B4-A086-28575F4976EB (resized).jpeg
#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Buttersnip:

Still having odd coin slot 2 issue(s), which do not affect playability so don’t much concern me at this time; think I need to buy the whole diagram to track that one.

So you're saying that the second coin chute, which should only add credits, is behaving as if you're pressing the start button? Does all the wiring appear original, or does it look maybe a bit "customized"? Also check the connector on the motor/relay board which selects the number of credits for the second coin chute. It's a small Jones type connection. Could be loose or dirty. There should be a label indicating the number of credits given for each position of the plug.

Screenshot_2022-12-27-11-48-54-1 (resized).pngScreenshot_2022-12-27-11-48-54-1 (resized).png
#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Buttersnip:

Got it! Thanks again! It was a “single contact” at score motor that looked closed but was not. I had been misunderstanding the card for score motor control, looking at wrong switch bank! Duh. Lesson learned…again…found a bunch of other small fixes/adjustments so worth it. Still having odd coin slot 2 issue(s), which do not affect playability so don’t much concern me at this time; think I need to buy the whole diagram to track that one.
[quoted image]

BTW That’s a jolly nice custom paint job on your machine.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverLiningMan:

BTW That’s a jolly nice custom paint job on your machine.

Thanks! It’s came out ok for my first attempt, unfortunately I should have read more on here first! Never use Rustoleum Paints!…At least for this.

#9 1 year ago

Extra points awarded for getting the flag the right way up too

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-royal-guard-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.