(Topic ID: 231088)

Gottlieb Royal Flush - Scoring problem- I'm stuck - Solved!

By Barakawins1

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by newovad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Pinball (resized).png

#1 4 months ago

I picked up my first EM. It's currently running. I'm having a problem when scoring 3000 when lit switches and only limited to player 1. Player 2-4 score fine and there
are no issues. I concentrated on the player one score reals and cleaned all contacts. Same result. I then thought maybe the 3000 point contacts were dirty but they work for player 2-4 so it can't be that. I cleaned them anyway. Seems like the 3000 when lit contacts score correctly the first 2 times and after that the first digit
which is the thousands digit scores incorrectly. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 4 months ago

There is a rotary unit that tells which player is up so diverts the score there. But you'd have to check the schematic to avoid chasing your tail...

#3 4 months ago

So, can you give a point example?

4,000 becomes 7,000. Second hit 7,000 becomes 10,000. On your next hit (the one that is wrong), how many points do you score?

My thousands switches were misaligned and it would sometimes score several ten-thousands while 9 attempted to get back to zero.

#4 4 months ago
Quoted from newovad:

On your next hit (the one that is wrong), how many points do you score?

Yes. This is when my thousands switches would climb from 10,000 to 20,000 30,000 and flip the score over. Is this the thousands score reel? How did you fix it?

#5 4 months ago

The thousands reel is hanging at 9 and tells the ten thousands reel to score but doesn't return to 0 fast enough, so your next thousands become ten thousands instead.

It could be that the reel is gummed up in some way, shape or form but I found on my machine it was the switches on the reel.

Pull the reel out and use the plunger on the side to manually actuate it until you get to 9. Then, watch the three switches as you move from 9 to 0. I'm guessing it will not be as crisp as the other turns of the wheel.

At this point, you are going to need to adjust the switches so that they more easily snap back from 9 to 0. I would suggest comparing the gaps and angles of the switches on the thousands unit of a working player on score 9 and try to adjust Player 1 to be the same. This point can be tricky as you'll need to check the switches at 0 and 1-8 as well when you are done. Changing the gaps at 9 can cause the contacts to be off on 0 or 1-8, making the reel incorrectly function.

Perhaps someone else has a better method, but that is what has worked for me.

#6 4 months ago

Beware that score reel switches are pretty fiddly and hard to get right if you haven't done it a few times. It's easier to mess them up than it is to get them dialed in. If there is any chance that your score reel isn't as clean and snappy as it should be, a good cleaning might be in order before you break out the switch adjuster.

/Mark

#7 4 months ago

Ok so I cleaned everything. The score real snaps nicely. I adjusted the contacts and cleaned them. Same result. I noticed when the ball drained and I heard the score motor move, the 10 thousands score reel still moved until the score flipped. Does anyone know what contacts on the score reel control the 1st player 10k digit score reel?

#8 4 months ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

what contacts on the score reel control the 1st player 10k digit score reel?

What contacts on which score reel are you asking about?

#9 4 months ago

I'm wondering if my problem is at the score motor and which contacts I should look at

#10 4 months ago

If the 1st player 10k solenoid advances multiple times, this switch could be stuck closed.

Pinball (resized).png
#11 4 months ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If the 1st player 10k solenoid advances multiple times, this switch could be stuck closed.

Sorry for the EM newb question. Is this chem on the score motor or the contacts on one of the reels

#12 4 months ago

Those are contacts on the reel. On the thousands reel contacts are (from the bottom up) closed-open-open on 0, open-closed-open 1-8, and open-closed-closed on 9. When the reel is on 9, it tells the ten thousands to score points until then reel is back at 0 (closed-open-open). So, if the top contacts stay closed, the next unit keeps scoring.

On the ten thousands reel, the contacts are closed-open on 0 and open-closed 1-9.

#13 4 months ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Is this chem on ...

I have no idea what you mean by "chem"

#14 4 months ago

I think he means chime

#15 4 months ago

Fixed! It was the 1k and 10k score real switches. Took a long time to adjust these to work properly. Wow! what a PIA. I finally learned how to set those switches but they have to be set perfectly to work. Unbelievable. Thanks for chiming in!

#16 4 months ago

Your last order of business is to mark the topic problem as "Solved". On the top right of this thread, you can click on the second box (next to the star) and give the thread a green checkmark.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Burlington, VT
Hardware
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 4.95
Apparel - Unisex
ULEKstore
$ 9,500.00
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 194.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 400.00
Boards
Great American Pinball
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside