Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WallArt (resized).JPG
image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Hello all-
First, thanks for any help that can be provided.

I'm a bit stumped on a 1976 Royal Flush bonus problem. First, when you knock down the drop targets, the correct white lights illuminate on the playfield. However, when the ball drains (in the outhole), the arrows don't work correctly - the bonus isn't properly scored. Sometimes it starts with the 3000 yellow arrow and then moves to 4000 and 5000, and they score correctly. But it skips the 1000 and 2000 yellow arrows. Sometimes it doesn't illuminate any of the yellow arrows. Other times, it works as one would anticipate.

I'm stumped. I pulled the AS relay (relay "I") and cleaned / rebuilt it. It's smooth as can be, and doesn't hang. There are two switches on the top of that AS relay that I *think* are adjusted correctly. What's a bit odd is that at one step point, one of the contacts moves some, but not the full travel distance. I'm not sure if that switch is supposed to be closed or open at that point.

I'm struggling to understand how it's supposed to work by reading the schematics. I'm more of a digital guy.

Hoping someone here knows how it's supposed to work, and maybe can provide some guidance.

Again, thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

James

#2 5 years ago

So it should go up and click through every bonus area whether it's giving points or not, but only awarded points for the bonii that are lit right?
So is it not clicking through the 1st and 2nd bonii sometimes?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

t skips the 1000 and 2000 yellow arrows

Quoted from TheLaw:

So it should go up and click through every bonus area whether it's giving points or not, but only awarded points for the bonii that are lit right?

If TheLaw describes how it's working, inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#4 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So is it not clicking through the 1st and 2nd bonii sometimes?

Correct, it skips the 1st and 2nd bonus, even if they should have been scored.

Thanks for the schematic, I'll inspect the switches that you highlighted.

Funny thing about this game. I'm fixing it for someone who contacted me online and said he couldn't find anyone to work on it. I offered to try and help. I've got most of it working, short of this problem. He works at a print shop and printed the schematic out on a sheet of paper that is about 9' tall. No joke. He printed two copies, one of which is hanging on the wall in my office. Fun to look at, although EMs can make me want to pull my hair out!

Thanks again, I'll check it out next time I'm at his house, and will report back with my findings.

Thanks,
James

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

...on a sheet of paper that is about 9' tall. No joke. He printed two copies, one of which is hanging on the wall in my office.

#6 5 years ago

So I'm looking at that schematic, and I'm not sure if it's the problem. It looks like it is responsible for scoring the bonus points. Thing is, on this machine, it doesn't step through the 5 bonuses (1000, 2000, etc.). Often it starts on the 3000 bonus, skipping the 1000 and 2000 bonuses. In other words, at the start of the bonus feature, the yellow 3000 arrow is the first to light up, skipping the 1000 and 2000 bonus arrows. Does that make sense?

I suspect that the AS "I" relay isn't resetting to the proper position. But I'm not sure what causes it to reset at the beginning of each ball....EMs...grrr! =)

#7 5 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#8 5 years ago

I think this is the path I need to inspect. I think....

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

#9 5 years ago

And just in case anyone thought I was kidding about the wall art.

WallArt (resized).JPGWallArt (resized).JPG
#10 5 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I think this is the path I need to inspect. I think....

Yes, if the Bonus Unit relay doesn't reset to its home (the schematic calls it "zero") position, that's the circuit and here are the switches.

Starting on the right of the image you posted, the switch on 1A pulses five times every time the motor makes 1/3 of a revolution.
The switch on O (Ball Return relay) stays closed more-or-less while the ball is in the outhole
The switch on I (Bonus Unit relay) opens when the Bonus Unit relay gets to its reset position

2 weeks later
#11 5 years ago

I made some more progress on this, and think I found the real issue. On the "I" relay (AS relay for the bonus feature), there is the "zero position switch". It's *supposed* to open the the AS relay is at the zero position. Yet, on this machine, the cam for the switch appears to be incorrect. It has 4 positions that will open the zero position switch, while I believe it is supposed to have 2 positions. In other words, the wiper arm is at the zero position twice for each full rotation. So logically I would think that the cam also should have two positions per rotation where it opens the zero position switch - when the armature is at the zero position.

To be sure that nothing else is causing the issue, I jumpered across the zero position switch. When the score motor turns (during the bonus feature / reset for next ball), the AS relay consistently steps to the next position, many times of course since motor switch 1A pulses so frequently. My point being, I'm confident that the other switches in the circuit are working correctly.

So the mystery begins - what is the proper cam? I don't see it in the manual. How do I go about getting the correct cam / part #?

TIA!

#12 5 years ago

For Royal Flush the 00-90 Relay Gear and Shaft part number is A-9012. That is an assembly, consisting of gear and shaft. The gear part number is C-8752. It is the left side gear, as there isn't a right for that application. Part #C-8752 is a 10 point cam.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

For Royal Flush the 00-90 Relay Gear and Shaft part number is A-9012. That is an assembly, consisting of gear and shaft. The gear part number is C-8752. It is the left side gear, as there isn't a right for that application. Part #C-8752 is a 10 point cam.

Thanks, I'm actually referring to the other AS relay (bonus relay).

#14 5 years ago

The "advance relay" for your machine shows the assembly to be #A-15659. (Cams and shaft) Left side cam is C-15221, right side cam C-15658. Both are 4 position cams.

#15 5 years ago

Alright, I think I got to the bottom of this.

Playdium, thanks for the info. I looked at The Pinball Resource site and concluded that neither are two-notched cams as I anticipated.

So....in further looking at this. I think the wiper disc actually have 2 zero positions. In looking at the disc, it has 10 positions. I *think* position 0 is wired to position 5, 1 to 6, etc. So in reality, there are 4 "zero positions" for the armature, or 2 zero positions on the disc, if that makes sense.

I still think I am dealing with an incorrect cam. At least I *think* I have my head wrapped around the issue...

#16 5 years ago

The Bonus Unit (I) relay should have 4 "zero" positions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-royal-flush-bonus-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.