Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by TeaHaus
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Wiper (resized).jpg
Card Wiz - Player Unit (resized).jpg
Untitled-1 (resized).jpg

#1 6 months ago

Greetings from Canada! Just recently entered this interesting world of EM pinball machines with the purchase of a collector-quality Royal Flush. When I checked out the machine, the ball in play lights were working. After the move (about 10 miles), not getting any of them to light up. All other lights in the backbox work perfectly. Have put in new bulbs to no avail. I can solder and I do not have the schematic for the machine. Where should I look to try and rectify this problem? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

#2 6 months ago

I gather you are posting about a Gottlieb 1976 game. (No game linked to post) If so, I do not have schematics for 'Royal Flush', however I do for 'Card Whiz' which is the 2 player version.

In the back box, I would first check that the wiper contact/s (Spring loaded) on the 'Player Unit' wiper (rotating disc) are making good contact and/or the wiper wire link/s are in tact.

Following this there are a couple of relay switches in the circuit which could be contributing to your problem (i.e. Game Over Relay.....).

Some one else may be able to provide a snippet from a 'Royal Flush' schematic showing the complete circuit.

#3 6 months ago

Hi oldpins......sorry, yes 1976 Gottlieb Royal Flush. Thanks for the tips and suggestions. Will have a look at the backbox. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to EM's but my family and I are totally enjoying this game. Looks so simple but quite a challenge.

#4 6 months ago

Also a switch in the AX reset control relay can turn the ball in play lights on/off (I think, my Fast Draw schems are a little unreadable in that area).

#5 6 months ago
Quoted from TeaHaus:

Hi oldpins......sorry, yes 1976 Gottlieb Royal Flush. Thanks for the tips and suggestions. Will have a look at the backbox. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to EM's but my family and I are totally enjoying this game. Looks so simple but quite a challenge.

TeaHaus, congratulations on your 1st EM. Now you have the bug, you probably won't be stopping with just one machine. There are alot of talented people on this forum and from my experience very patient and willing to assist and educate you.

Thinking it would be a real advantage purchasing a schematic for your machine. You can purchase one from 'Pinball Resource' at the below link.

http://www.pbresource.com/

#6 6 months ago

That's a good one for a first EM, I've been fixing pins for about 40 years and Royal Flush is one of the few games I would still love to own.

#7 6 months ago

Yes, I can see how this becomes addictive!! When I first got the machine home, the green joker light was always on, even when the ball went over the rollover. The other two would go out when the ball went over. Not knowing anything but I have done my share of soldering with my other passion (Fender stratocasters), I had a look under the PF. Lo and behold, one of the wires on the contact was broken off. Out came the soldering iron and voila, problem solved. I instantly felt that hey, I'm now a pinball repair guy!! (yeah right!!) But the logical way these things are put together is very satisfying. I've checked the backbox for the wiper but honestly, not sure what I'm looking for.......time to do some more reading!! Thanks again for the link and schematic has been ordered!

#8 6 months ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Also a switch in the AX reset control relay can turn the ball in play lights on/off (I think, my Fast Draw schems are a little unreadable in that area).

Am I just looking for a loose-wire or a wonky connection on the leaf?

#9 6 months ago
Quoted from TeaHaus:

Am I just looking for a loose-wire or a wonky connection on the leaf?

See the below pics. Both the schematic snippet and the 'Player Unit' are from from a 'Card Whiz' machine and may differ for 'Royal Flush'.

A 'Player unit' wiper is circled for your reference. Check the wiper/s moves freely and wire links are in tact (These wipers are spring loaded to make contact with the brass contacts on the disc as it rotates during game play to perform set functions).

In the schematic (Card Whiz Example only) you will see that there are relay contacts (Q and AX) in the 'Ball in Play' circuit which need to be closed for all lights to operate.

I hope this gives a little more of an understanding.

Card Wiz - Player Unit (resized).jpgUntitled-1 (resized).jpg
#10 6 months ago
Quoted from oldpins:

See the below pics. Both the schematic snippet and the 'Player Unit' are from from a 'Card Whiz' machine and may differ for 'Royal Flush'.
A 'Player unit' wiper is circled for your reference. Check the wiper/s moves freely and wire links are in tact (These wipers are spring loaded to make contact with the brass contacts on the disc as it rotates during game play to perform set functions).
In the schematic (Card Whiz Example only) you will see that there are relay contacts (Q and AX) in the 'Ball in Play' circuit which need to be closed for all lights to operate.
I hope this gives a little more of an understanding.[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks so much for the pics!! Yes, same looking unit in the back-box. I'll check it out tomorrow and take some pictures. Pics always seem to help. Again, thanks for the advice and the patience. The machine has a few more issues but nothing that stops gameplay. Didn't realize how much I 'need' to see the ball in play numbers!! I always forget which ball I'm on!!

#11 6 months ago

Well, thanks to oldpins, my ball in play issue has been solved. Checked the wiper and there was a detached wire and the wiper had nothing attached. Quick solder job and all ball in play lights are lit. Also solved another issue which was that the double bonus light on the last ball wasn't lit. I had thought it would be a bulb but I noticed that the points were not scoring either. Once this wire was soldered, the bonus light lit up and the double scores were counted!! Perfect..........here's a pic in case anyone else stumbles upon this thread. Red arrow shows the loose wire........yellow shows wiper that it needed to be attached to.......

Wiper (resized).jpg
#12 6 months ago

Good news , you are now officially a pinball repair guy !

#13 6 months ago

Ha.......not without your help oldpins! Thanks again and now just one more issue but I'll start another thread for that one so that others may find it easier.

#14 6 months ago

Congrats on getting a Royal Flush. I got one earlier this year and it’s a great one. I have all EMs, and Royal Flush is one my favorites. You should probably get a schematic and a manual because other issues will undoubtedly arise if you have it for any length of time, and the schematic and manual can be invaluable when that happens. I get them from Pinball Resource.

#15 6 months ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Congrats on getting a Royal Flush. I got one earlier this year and it’s a great one. I have all EMs, and Royal Flush is one my favorites. You should probably get a schematic and a manual because other issues will undoubtedly arise if you have it for any length of time, and the schematic and manual can be invaluable when that happens. I get them from Pinball Resource.

Yes, this game is deceivingly difficult but everyone in my house loves playing it. It has managed to get my daughters away from the switch........thanks for the schematic advice......already on order!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 32.00
$ 89.99
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 3.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 195.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WOZ - OZ lanes Out of stock
The Art of Pinball
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 134.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 69.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 190.00
Tools
PinDoc Restorations
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 55.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside