Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Dr_of_Style
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen_Shot_2015-10-05_at_9.43.32_PM.png

#1 3 years ago

Royal Flush, 1976.

Sometimes my ball count doesn’t advance

The ball will drain, the ball-end bonus will award points, and the ball will be kicked out to the shooter lane like it should. But then the drop target bank doesn’t reset (there’s a “wifft” sound - like it tried and missed), the bonus lights from the previous ball on the playfield stay lit, and the ball count hasn’t advanced to the next number. It is like earning an extra ball when that’s not an option.

When this happens I can shot/drain the ball again, or I can open the coin door and activate the ball trough rollover switch from underneath. Either way, the targets reset and the ball advances like it should. I was thinking that the switch might be the culprit, but cleaning it and tightening the gap hasn’t helped much. What’s so frustrating is that this problem is intermittent; this happens about once in every 4 or 5 games.

Can the drop targets affect the ball count advancing?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

#2 3 years ago

Do you have a schematic ?

#3 3 years ago

I have seen it where pads will get electrically isolated from the fingers and give you marginal/flaky contact. you gap an clean it works for a little while then ever once in a while it doesnt... See if you can see any burning arcing around pad. The fix, the hard way, replace contacts. The easy/hack way, take a set of pliers and crush the two pads into their fingers. Ive also filed and soldered on the backs to ensure good contact.

Ken (King of the Hacks)

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from oldpins:

Do you have a schematic ?

Yes, I have a schematic.

Quoted from pinhead52:

See if you can see any burning arcing around pad.

Do mean anywhere on the machine, or do you have an idea where I should look?

Thanks for the responses.

#5 3 years ago

Om the trough switch contacts

#6 3 years ago

On the schematic, what's the logic path for resetting the drop targets?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

On the schematic, what's the logic path for resetting the drop targets?

Is this it?

Screen_Shot_2015-10-05_at_9.43.32_PM.png

#8 3 years ago

yes, that's it.

So P has a switch that needs to close as part of the drop target reset, and P also has a switch that needs to close in order to step the Player Unit (which advances the ball count).

The ball trough switch is what activates the P relay, so if the ball trough switch isn't the issue, then check the switches on P, since that's the next thing in common in the issues.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

check the switches on P, since that's the next thing in common in the issues.

Okay. I cleaned the contacts on P and tightened one switch that was wider than the rest.

Quoted from pinhead52:

See if you can see any burning arcing around pad.

I didn't see any burns, but I used a needle nose to make sure the contacts were secure.

So far, so good! Hopefully after awhile I can mark this post as "fixed".

Thanks guys.

1 week later
#10 3 years ago

After a few games the problem came back, so I went further down the schematic and cleaned the normally open switches on 2C. The problem hasn't returned after 20 games, so I believe the ball advance problem is resolved.

Ten minutes later... Right after I marked this problem as "resolved" I fired up the machine to play a game before work. The first ball was a misfire! It didn't happen again for the next 20 balls, though. Maybe I better leave that "resolved" check mark alone?

#11 3 years ago

So you're in the right area for the problem to settle it down for the most part, but maybe things still need additional cleaning, tightening, gapping. Little black carbon dots left on the contacts can cause more trouble than you'd think, as can switches that "look" like they're closing, but really aren't closing enough (you want to see some blade movement, not just 'touching', for example).

Typical gremlins.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Typical gremlins.

I'm sure you're right. After cleaning the 2C switches some more last night, the ball wouldn't end and the drop targets wouldn't reset. But when I tightened the gap on the 2C switch with the large contacts those problems were gone.

Are the motor switches with the large contacts cleaned the same way as those with small contacts? I'm using a flexstone on both.

#13 3 years ago

They can be. if they are pitted real bad, it wont let them conduct well, and you get less power to the coil. if they are still in good condition, cleaning/adjusting shud fix.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 399.95
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
Playfield - Protection
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 174.99
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Lermods
$ 89.99
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Wheezer
$ 219.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside