(Topic ID: 254502)

Gottlieb Roto target scores correct but bell rings -1?

By 4Max

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by HowardR
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Match predictor (resized).jpg
Capture2 (resized).JPG
Capture4 (resized).JPG
Capture1 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 1 year ago

I've seen this kind of thing on other games (maybe Olympics or Rack A Ball?) where the score is what you'd expect but the chime is off by one. I've chased it down once or twice and convinced myself that that is the desired behavior. The only thing I could think of was that the designers were trying to make it harder to predict the match value.

Since the match was often driven by the 00-90 unit you could predict the value of the match number if you could figure out the order in which the match numbers appeared on the stepper contact disc. Once you knew the order you could just remember the last match value and look at the 10s digit to figure out how many steps the 00-90 stepper had taken. Driving the 00-90 unit fewer times than the score reel that would make it much harder to track how many steps the 00-90 unit had taken and therefore what the next match number would be.

That's my theory anyway.

Oddly enough this came up recently on facebook. Someone posted an image of a match predictor that arrived with an issue of the Pinball Trader. Here's mine:
Match predictor (resized).jpg

/Mark

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside