• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PinParty
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hello,
I am at a loss..... I have been fiddling around with this 1958 Gottlieb Rocket Ship and simply cannot figure out why the start button is not working. I can get it to start up manually either by returning the stepper unit to zero or by manually pressing the start relay. Credits are on , switches on the credit unit are closed, connectors wire brushed, I have gone over the start relay gaps 5 times and tilt relay, score motor switches are in order......

It did in fact start up using the start button a few times but inconsistently and I do not know where else to look (and am truly uncertain if I have been staring at the culprit and didn't realize it the last two hours).

any help would be greatly appreciated........

Thank you!
Rob

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Robo1:

simply cannot figure out why the start button is not working.

Have you checked the physical connections at the button itself? The contacts often need a good sanding.

#3 3 years ago

Seems like it must be a faulty switch or connection somewhere in the circuit associated with the replay button and start relay. It also sounds like you've hit the usual suspects. What about jones plug connections? And then have you tried placing a jumper at various points in the circuit to identify any potential weak links? I'd be happy to look at the portion of the schematic that includes the circuit in question if you can post an image.

#4 3 years ago

This era of machine typically has a switch stack that is actuated by the ball gate. When the ball gate solenoid is energized, the ball gate is pulled back and that actuates the set of switches mounted behind the gate.

One of these switches controls the replay button, and it opens when the ball gate solenoid is energized to disable the button. This prevents you from accidently starting a new game more than once per play (and losing credits in the process). Of course, this switch must be closed and making good contact when the ball gate is not energized, otherwise the replay button will never work.

This switch stack often gets clipped accidently when raising and lowering the PF, causing the switches to go out of adjustment. So if you haven't already, be sure to check the ball gate switch stack and confirm that all those switches are clean and are adjusted properly.

- TimMe

#5 3 years ago

TimMe,
You know, I do a woodrail once or twice a year and can figure out mostly the problem. This one was making me crazy, you were correct, and i did not even look at that switch stack......on top of it, they were touching ever so slightly, enough to pass it over as making contact considering all the switches had been cleaned last week and I assumed were adjusted properly. I was thinking a wire may have broken inside the insulation somewhere as a worse case.

Thank you very much! also currieddog and tfduda... the door switch i did clean first the jones plugs i checked thorougly and was thinking i would do what you recommend.

Very happy to have it mostly sorted although the upper targets seem to only score a hit when the light alternates off? strange, i think maybe the wires had been reversed although the solder joints look original, maybe a mistake at the factory. Easy fix but if any of you have this game surely the target should score a hit only when the light is on, or am I wrong?

Excellent!

Rob

Quoted from TimMe:

This era of machine typically has a switch stack that is actuated by the ball gate. When the ball gate solenoid is energized, the ball gate is pulled back and that actuates the set of switches mounted behind the gate.
One of these switches controls the replay button, and it opens when the ball gate solenoid is energized to disable the button. This prevents you from accidently starting a new game more than once per play (and losing credits in the process). Of course, this switch must be closed and making good contact when the ball gate is not energized, otherwise the replay button will never work.
This switch stack often gets clipped accidently when raising and lowering the PF, causing the switches to go out of adjustment. So if you haven't already, be sure to check the ball gate switch stack and confirm that all those switches are clean and are adjusted properly.
- TimMe

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Robo1:

TimMe,
You know, I do a woodrail once or twice a year and can figure out mostly the problem. This one was making me crazy, you were correct, and i did not even look at that switch stack......on top of it, they were touching ever so slightly, enough to pass it over as making contact considering all the switches had been cleaned last week and I assumed were adjusted properly. I was thinking a wire may have broken inside the insulation somewhere as a worse case.
Thank you very much! also currieddog and tfduda... the door switch i did clean first the jones plugs i checked thorougly and was thinking i would do what you recommend.
Very happy to have it mostly sorted although the upper targets seem to only score a hit when the light alternates off? strange, i think maybe the wires had been reversed although the solder joints look original, maybe a mistake at the factory. Easy fix but if any of you have this game surely the target should score a hit only when the light is on, or am I wrong?
Excellent!
Rob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alameda, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-rocket-ship-start-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.