Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Reproduction SA back.jpg
Reproduction SA front.jpg
ElDbgarr.jpg
AcDbgarr.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I've been trying to figure out who has the rights to reproduce a Gottlieb Sing Along backglass, and I can't seem to get to the bottom of it.

I've repeatedly contacted the two main parties who apparently share the rights (I don't understand how it's been split up), and each claims the other has the rights to my backglass. I can't get to the bottom of it, and I don't want to keep bugging them with emails.

I think Sing Along was reissued a while ago, but not sure.

Does anyone else know how this works??

I was hoping to figure out a minimum commitment to have them reissue the glass (If you're interested in a reissue, or have a nice example for sale, please let me know!). I think it took 20 people to get other glasses going.

If I can't get anywhere with the screened version, I guess I'll look at doing a translite. Does anyone have a SA scan, and does anyone have pics showing how well a translite compares to silkscreened?

HELP!

Matt in Dallas

#2 9 years ago

Matt,

You can always go the bgresto.com route.

www.bgresto.com

It's a great away to get a better backglass.

Marcus

#3 9 years ago

Who have you been talking with? Shay and Webb?

#5 9 years ago

Aurich, right: Shay and Webb.

Thanks for the links! I will check them out.

Matt

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Matt,
You can always go the bgresto.com route.
http://www.bgresto.com
It's a great away to get a better backglass.
Marcus

Currently dealing with bgresto...

Per his terms..

"Each restoration is made to order and usually ships within 4-6
weeks of receipt of order. Payment can be made via paypal to
[email protected]."

This Friday it will be 12 weeks since I paid . Yes i've emailed him, yes hes replied, everytime its a broken promise

#7 9 years ago

Nothing better than a Webb backglass. Great guy to deal with.

#8 9 years ago

Shazzam is back logged pretty solid with requests. his turnaround time has gone from about 3 weeks to 3 months to get a glass done. one of the problems was the guys that does the work for him had a serious health issue that put him in the hospital. that has resolved itself, and they are back on track. Shazzam sez that by next week he should have all orders restored and ready for shipping.

which then puts another issue at hand, and that's actually shipping the glass. it takes a boatload of time to pack a glass. i expect that will take a week to get done at least.

On the "who owns gottlieb rights" i believe Mondel in NY owns it, and steve young is the principle party. If you want to do an official glass, a couple things have to happen. First you need to send Steve young a sample glass for approval. After he approves it, he keeps the glass. that's the commission fee for that glass. Note on the back of the glass it must have a silkscreen wording to the effect like "made by permission of Gottlieb LLC all rights reserved." it can't be a sticker, it must be silkscreened onto the back of the glass over top of the mask layer. (don't send steve a sample without this note, or he will not approve the glass.) As long as the quality of the glass is decent, steve will approve it. He's done this for Webb and Shay and our Canadian friend John.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Shazzam is back logged pretty solid with requests. his turnaround time has gone from about 3 weeks to 3 months to get a glass done. one of the problems was the guys that does the work for him had a serious health issue that put him in the hospital. that has resolved itself, and they are back on track. Shazzam sez that by next week he should have all orders restored and ready for shipping.
which then puts another issue at hand, and that's actually shipping the glass. it takes a boatload of time to pack a glass. i expect that will take a week to get done at least.

This really explains why its taking so long...

Quoted from cfh:

On the "who owns gottlieb rights" i believe Mondel in NY owns it, and steve young is the principle party. If you want to do an official glass, a couple things have to happen. First you need to send Steve young a sample glass for approval. After he approves it, he keeps the glass. that's the commission fee for that glass. Note on the back of the glass it must have a silkscreen wording to the effect like "made by permission of Gottlieb LLC all rights reserved." it can't be a sticker, it must be silkscreened onto the back of the glass over top of the mask layer. (don't send steve a sample without this note, or he will not approve the glass.) As long as the quality of the glass is decent, steve will approve it. He's done this for Webb and Shay and our Canadian friend John.

Wow.. that seems pretty easy to get done... Now if someone would just give me the secret to doing the mirroring on the backglass..

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

Now if someone would just give me the secret to doing the mirroring on the backglass.

The secret is apparently just some really expensive ink. That's not how the old school ones were done, those were etched mirror, but no one is doing that any more, too toxic. Personally I'm more than happy with the results of the mirrored ink in person.

#11 9 years ago

That would be Steve Young at PBR.

#12 9 years ago

CFH - Thanks for the detailed explanation! That clears things up a lot.

So it sounds like anybody can do a glass, and who "owns" a particular glass is simply an informal agreement between Shay and Webb - correct?

-M

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The secret is apparently just some really expensive ink. That's not how the old school ones were done, those were etched mirror, but no one is doing that any more, too toxic. Personally I'm more than happy with the results of the mirrored ink in person.

Ive found a few different mirror inks.. priced from $1200 to $2600 per gallon, ouch

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

Ive found a few different mirror inks.. priced from $1200 to $2600 per gallon, ouch

Like I said, really expensive.

Now I imagine a gallon goes a long way, but I don't have silkscreen experience. I'd really like to do a mirrored project at some point, I'll front the entire cost for the ink if I have to!

#15 9 years ago

Very happy to receive my Abra Ca Dabra & El Dorado repro backglasses from bgresto today. Super packing & fast/safe freight from USPS (less than 7 days). I am also very appreciative that Steve Azzam is prepared to ship to Australia.

AcDbgarr.jpgAcDbgarr.jpg

ElDbgarr.jpgElDbgarr.jpg

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Model237:

CFH - Thanks for the detailed explanation! That clears things up a lot.
So it sounds like anybody can do a glass, and who "owns" a particular glass is simply an informal agreement between Shay and Webb - correct?
-M

This may help answer your question. Years ago I started the process of getting licensed to make Pleasure Isle BG's(Gottlieb) I got permission from Steve Young and Mondial LLC(Gotlieb Development LL) then I got the o.k. to proceed/license but then learned from Mondial(forgot who I talked to but very nice gentleman)that I would need insurance...which is VERY expensive and 2 of the 3 Ins. companies I contacted would not even consider that type of Insurance. Just say somebody bought the new glass and cut themselves...you could actually be sued and more variables from there. He(from Mondial)stated that I would be better to go thru one of the licensed dealers(Shay or Webb) which I did and the BG was reproduced.

The one lady(Marti)who made/reproduced almost all the BG's fror Gottlieb has since passed unforunately a few years back. She was a super nice lady and gave me quite and education on the process. She was still making them the "old school" method as original.

I recently sent my Pin UP BG to the company who is reproducing BG's for Ron Webb and believe they will be available in Jan.if anybody has an interest.

#17 9 years ago

Man if somebody could make a screen printed Sing Along backglass, that would be outstanding! I have a bgresto.com Paragon backglass, and while it is pretty good, it has its issues as well.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

This may help answer your question. Years ago I started the process of getting licensed to make Pleasure Isle BG's(Gottlieb) I got permission from Steve Young and Mondial LLC(Gotlieb Development LL) then I got the o.k. to proceed/license but then learned from Mondial(forgot who I talked to but very nice gentleman)that I would need insurance...which is VERY expensive and 2 of the 3 Ins. companies I contacted would not even consider that type of Insurance. Just say somebody bought the new glass and cut themselves...you could actually be sued and more variables from there. He(from Mondial)stated that I would be better to go thru one of the licensed dealers(Shay or Webb) which I did and the BG was reproduced.

Robert Fesjian I believe owns Mondial. He is really pleasant and easy to work with. When I was doing calendars they also required insurance to be a licensee. It wasn't incredibly expensive ($120 a year) as I think I only needed $100,000 coverage. For similar reasons, in case someone got a wicked paper cut or something. It seemed a little silly but in this litigious society companies have to cover their butt.

#19 9 years ago

Yes, thats who it was Robert Fesjian! Thanks. Great guy indeed. Learned quite a bit about the legal aspects for sure.

#20 9 years ago

I actually think quite little of Robert Fesjian. I tried to get a license to produce some Gottlieb items. He asked my for my ideas and then SHARED those ideas with another licensee, came back and said "NO" because the other licensee thought I would be infringing upon his territory.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I actually think quite little of Robert Fesjian. I tried to get a license to produce some Gottlieb items. He asked my for my ideas and then SHARED those ideas with another licensee, came back and said "NO" because the other licensee thought I would be infringing upon his territory.

I haven't had that experience with Bob Fesjian & Steve Young over the years. I produce glass that hasn't been done before & is in low demand. I carry $2 million dollars Canadian through my insurance provider. Doesn't really cost me anything more to have a rider for Gottlieb LLC, or Planetary Pinball.

If anyone has a project to move forward on, you contact me & see if it works for both parties. I could also do playfield production, & plastic sets.

Great Pinball Limited

#22 9 years ago

The people doing the stuff for years I believe should have the right to make about anything first They ahav taken alot of risks... some were good some were bad .. Fesjian has always been a pleasure to work with I did when I did my flyer book years ago

#23 9 years ago

I can tell you Bob Fesjian and Steve Young were easy to work with when I did the Bank-A-Ball Animation balls. It wasn't cost effective to carry the insurance but sending them to Steve to approve and ultimately sell went smooth.

They originally only gave licenses to products that were manufactured the way the original ones were but they have eased that over the years with all the new technology available.

Mike V.

#24 9 years ago

Hey GreatWichJohn,

I just asked Shay & Webb if they're not interested in doing a Sing Along glass, would they "surrender" the rights someone else.

Would you be interested? If so, how many & how much, etc.?

I really love the idea of redoing some the old screened way, if I can finagle it!

Thx,

Matt

#25 9 years ago

Just spoke to Ron Webb - great guy. Don't know why I didn't just call him earlier. Email seems quicker, but it ain't.

He has the rights (not Shay) and his printer does 27 at a time, so that's what he'd need to do another run.

Problem is, he's already done three runs of Sing Along over the years, so there's probably not much demand for more. He's been out of them for 5 years now.

He said he'd add me to his database, but he's booked out solid on other glasses thru 2015.

If anyone needs a SA glass, please contact Ron Webb and get on his database.

Matt

#27 9 years ago

I was talking this year with both parties, they are not interested in having me do any of their past projects. So unless that has changed nothing will happen on my part if another Gottlieb LLC vendor has produced that glass.

#28 9 years ago

Yeah, Ron said he wasn't up for surrendering rights to anything. He seemed to think I was asking him to surrender his actual screens, which was not the case.

In theory, one could go to Mondial LLC and point out their properties aren't being monetized as much as they could, but I suppose Mondial also has to treat their primary producers right too.

Next year I'll start fooling around with scanners and decals. Myglass isn't too bad overall, but some areas are just nasty and mar the otherwise decent resto I did everywhere else!

-M

#29 9 years ago

I both understand and hate why they sit on the rights like this. It is a shame. Maybe with the Sing along playfields getting done recently we can drum up enough interest for a rerun, but even then, 2016+ kinda kills my enthusiasm.

#30 9 years ago

I'm open to doing playfields. But no one seems to have a art package ready. Most glass titles have been done. But people still get art for glass not produced, which I have done.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

I'm open to doing playfields. But no one seems to have a art package ready. Most glass titles have been done. But people still get art for glass not produced, which I have done.

Would love if someone would do System 1 games..

So far I only believe Joker Poker and Hulk have been done.

Count-Down is one of the most popular system 1 games that has not been repro'd and almost every single Count-Down owner has problems with flaking

Genie would be great also..has lots of mirroring.

Asteroid Annie although there are only 211 games ever made... I think every owner with the game would love a new backglass...

#32 9 years ago

Yep, lots of Gottlieb titles out there that are going to get screwed out of help for lack of appropriate numbers of interested parties...got one myself:

Crescendo. Can't find plastics anywhere, they've never been reproduced, and as far as I can tell the demand isn't there in spite of the fact that Crescendo, Groovy, and Psychedelic all have the exact same plastics. 4330 games produced and impossible to find.

2 weeks later
#33 9 years ago

good thing about plastics though is that they can be reproduced by us "regulars" with really good results. just takes time and some digital editing.

#34 9 years ago

Sorry John, I believe that Wade Kraus already did a run of Sing Along playfields, they came out perfect.

Steve

Quoted from greatwichjohn:

I'm open to doing playfields. But no one seems to have a art package ready.

Reproduction SA front.jpgReproduction SA front.jpg Reproduction SA back.jpgReproduction SA back.jpg
#35 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Sorry John, I believe that Wade Kraus already did a run of Sing Along playfields, they came out perfect.
Steve

Reproduction SA front.jpg 150 KB

Reproduction SA back.jpg 74 KB

Other than Wade forgot to put my name on the waiting list and I didn't get one ......

#36 9 years ago

Sorry to hear that. I'm lucky that I'm able to drop in to see Wade to pick up any playfields I buy. He's one of the good guys out there.

Steve

Quoted from Gov:

Other than Wade forgot to put my name on the waiting list and I didn't get one ......

#37 9 years ago

I would print the Gottlieb LLC license text under the apron. Save some money. Glad someone is doing them.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

Would love if someone would do System 1 games..

Yep. Put me down for a Buck Rogers! I have an NOS playfield that I am clearcoating and could use a minty backglass to go with it.

#39 9 years ago

Not sure what happend on my last reply but was trying to agree with iwantansi quote.

I am the one who has an NOS playfield that I am clearcoating and could use a minty backglass to go with it.

1 year later
#40 7 years ago

Is there a source for repro Gottlieb Aprons? I know some folks are doing Bally SS reproduce right now. Thinking about picking up a Joker Poker and it appears everything parts-wise can be found, except that I am not finding aprons anywhere. Thanks!

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Is there a source for repro Gottlieb Aprons? I know some folks are doing Bally SS reproduce right now. Thinking about picking up a Joker Poker and it appears everything parts-wise can be found, except that I am not finding aprons anywhere. Thanks!

http://www.pinballrescue.net/Decals_Apron_Gottlieb.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Birmingham, AL
$ 7.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-rights-on-backglasses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.