• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled2.jpg
Untitled.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider E_N_3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

The other day, the playfield GI went out on my Close Encounter (solid state version). I found in the general Gottlieb repair manual that if ONLY the playfield GI is out, it is likely that "the tilt relay is energized." I checked all the tilts and i don't think that the issue lays in the actaul tilts, as the tilts on the left side of the cab are cut out, the tilt on coin door is cut out, and the tilt on the underside of the playfield, while NOT cut out, it is not touching, and nothing happened when i tried adjusting it. All fuses were checked and good, and i checked the harnness to the boards and such, nothing.

When the GI went out, originally, i bumped the cab to get in to it, and it flickered the GI, but it hasn't done it again. I thought this was indicating that it was an actual tilt issue, but, when checking the tilts, I don't see the issue.

What am i missing? Am i looking in the right place(s)?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
--ED LI NY

I am attaching the page from the repair manual incase it helps.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Ive had this happen on the relays, believe its the switch on the tilt relay for GI, usually isnt making the connection, check for clean and adjustment.

Forgive me for the novice question, as i am still a Gottlieb newby, but where is the "switch onthe tilt relay for the GI"?

#4 8 years ago

DOH! .... Sorry, i didnt realize the "tilt relay" was the same as the "T" relay of the "Q" and "T" relays.
I just cleaned and adjusted it and the GI lights came right on.

Now, another issue presented itself, the playfield "insert" lights, which show "bonuses" and such, are now not lighting/working.

Thoughts?

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The two relays are on the underside of the playfield near the back right side.
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=536&picno=32652&zoom=1

Thanks FORCEFLOW, I think we were posting at the same time...lol.

I hadnt realized that the "T" relay was actually called "tilt relay", likely dew to this being my ony gottlieb and experince working with one, and that i am still so new to it...lol.

With this said, another issue popped up, with the "inserts" not working/lighting.....any thoughts on the issue, and what i can check?

#7 8 years ago

Morning bump for insert lights issue

#8 8 years ago

Evening bump for the insert lights issue

#10 8 years ago

They were working previously, yes.
I checked all of the fuses, and all checkout okay.
I messed with the the relays, and still nothing.

Anything else i can check/try?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider E_N_3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-repair-help-question-close-encounters?tu=E_N_3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.