IMG_20191230_190714 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191230_190734 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191230_190802 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191230_190747 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191230_190823 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191230_190817 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hey Guys,

Years back i got donated this Raven Pinball, i had a Dr. Who and a Fishtales, so hey you wanna pick up this pinball.... Yeah sure...
It has been sitting in storage for years, because it just was dead ( only some lights on the playfield went on ) and did not had time for spending after what i did:

The pinball was located in a dutch café, they did not find a better solution to fix some blown fuses with a silver wrapping paper around the fuses.
The MPU seemed to been suffering by leaking battery's so this board seems to be repaired with a memory capacitor. It seems to be done dodgy but i probably will take some pics of it later on.

So, i replaced all fuses with brand new ones, they do not blow when power on the system now.
I replaced the big capacitor on the bottom.
Still have to do the ground mod on the bottom.

Now i still get the same problems, the game does not come up, no display, the backbox looks dead, no red light on the audio board.
However if i remove the MPU, the light on the audio board does come on.

I measured the +5V , it has 5.02 V on the psu, but i did not service it yet.

I read a lot on pinwiki about the common problems, but this one just seems dead.
As i do not want to afford to just buy a new MPU, i would like to service/fix it.

I have a regular multimeter and i have a bench power supply.

Also the motor of the helicopter sometimes comes on, if it does than it spins constantly.

Can somebody help me to start with the most common thing, what do i need to measure to be sure it is not a stupid fault somewhere.
I just want to start at the beginning, wich you guys probably will say is the ground

If so, i will start there, but my guess is that it should start more with flaky ground... then just be totally dead.

Thanks in advance, any help is highly appreciated.

IMG_20191230_190656 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_190656 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_190714 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_190714 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_190734 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_190734 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_190747 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_190747 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_190802 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_190802 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_190817 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_190817 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_190823 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_190823 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

One word: Piggy Deux.

Start with that and see where it gets you.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Flippertastic:

The MPU seemed to been suffering by leaking battery's so this board seems to be repaired with a memory capacitor. It seems to be done dodgy but i probably will take some pics of it later on.

Post some good, close ups of your mpu board.

You also need to measure the voltage on the capacitor directly below J1 connector. If your mpu doesn't have 4.7 to 5.2 volts there then it won't boot

#4 4 years ago

Push on the little daughter board on the MPU while you turn it on. If it boots...Piggy Deux.

Voltage at the aux power supply is critical as well. I dial it in to 5.1VDC.

#5 4 years ago

Thanks for the comments.

I added pictures, first of all, I did not solder this ... This is a terrible job done... I am thinking about redoing this..
However, i am concerned on the back, there is an island of solder connecting a bunch of resistors together, can someone confirm this is normal ?
3rd picture from above, next to letter ''C'' .

#6 4 years ago

I believe so.

If you want to verify, just remove the solder and see if there is a solder pad there connecting it all together.

#7 4 years ago

So you have to start eliminating potential problems.

First buy a piggy deux. While you wait for that buy the schematic/game manual of you don't have one. Once you have the schematics you'll need to verify you have continuity to and from all of the replaced components.

You also need to grab the continuity chart on pinwiki and verify it. I recommend you doing this based on the solder job done on u2/u3. You need continuity on both top and bottom!

Start with those items first. I recently bought back a dead mpu and I was thinking about doing a sys80b how to guide.

Continuity and piggy board are your best starting points.

#8 4 years ago

Appreciate the time for answering guys !

I have the schematics printed out as manual.
However, i have no electronic background whatsoever, however i am very eager to learn it... But schematics reading is like taking a book written in chinese and you would say, this is the story about hanzel and gretel

I have been measuring the chips on the MPU, the most of them read 4.7 V, but this should be 5V right ?

At the picture you see that the chip above reads out 0.0V so either it is busted or it's because of the bad repair job ?
That is what i have to find out.

I pressed on the piggyback board, it did not change anything...
I will look around for the piggy deux, allthough it would be wasting money if this is not the problem, right ?

Check the picture.80b voltages (resized).jpg80b voltages (resized).jpg

#9 4 years ago

My Raven currently resets due to A1J1 & the PS needing to be re-pinned. As said above check the voltage on that cap. If I unplug A2J2 on the PS, I get the same as you, playfield lights but nothing in the backbox.

#10 4 years ago

Also, you will most likely need to replace the pot on the PS.

#11 4 years ago

Guys,

Happy new year to everybody, best wishes for 2020 !!!

Now, when i get done after doing the ground mod in the bottom, and wating for a new pot for the psu.
Wich reading should i get on the most chips , now i have 4.7 V but should it be a sturdy 5V ?

Mind, i did measure the capacitor directly below J1 connector and it has a proper 5V.

Just curious wich volts i have to have on the parts on the board, can't find it on internet yet.

Also, is there a possibility to see if the CPU is blown? Wich reading should i have there... For now it looks pretty dead...

2 years later
#12 1 year ago

Im in the same process, bought a total dead Raven.
But now in just fighting some sound issues but I will replace component to the powersupply, I got som issues getting the sound to work at start up.
I will recommend to change the MPU board to one of the new redesignet if you can get it up and running.
I did a lot of fixes on mine but it did not help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-raven-system-80b-in-bad-shape and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.