Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image2 (resized).jpg
20180723_163819a (resized).jpg
20180723_163808a (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I've recently picked up a Gottlieb Raven (System 80b) pinball machine which is currently not working. The guy I bought it from said it needed a new MPU so I got the one from myPinballs recently. Currently (have not installed new mpu yet), the playfield lights up, nothing on the score board, a light on the old MPU lights up, and one on the sound board as well. I have not installed the new mpu yet since the ground mod is currently completely done so I didn't want to mess up the new board. I think part of the mod is done but not finished. I am new to solid state machines (currently only worked on an EM before this (Gottlieb Top Score) so I was wondering if anyone could at least tell me where there are some good repair guides for system 80b machines? In particular so I can at least finish the ground mod.

There was one other question I have about the game. On the driver board, the J5 connector, currently looks like the pins don't line up properly with connector, as if it was flipped (I can post a picture later if that helps). There are 7 wires on the connector but only 6 seem to line up with pins, maybe its suppose to be like this, it doesn't look like the connector was modified and then reinstalled incorrectly or anything like that. Just thought I'd check with you guys to see if this is correct as well.

I also have the manual in case anyone was wondering.

Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

I Google searched
System 80 pinball repair.

This is the first link. Its everything you need.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80

#3 5 years ago

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I was looking at a website with good quality info, which is why I asked here instead of just using google myself.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from cperro:

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I was looking at a website with good quality info, which is why I asked here instead of just using google myself.

No problem and good luck. I find system 80s the hardest to work on but if you learn on those all others will be easier.

#5 5 years ago

I have a couple questions about the grounding. So far, from the looks of it the ground mod is partially done. The two things done for it are:

1) interconnect harness with 2 extra wires added between MPU and driver board
2) Transformer ground mod is done

So all that is left is the ground mods for each pcb. From the picture on pinwiki I can't seem to be able to find out where to actually solder a ground wire for the driver board, does anyone happen to have a better quality image for where to solder it? Also, have any of you bought the System 80b board from mypinballs? I was just wondering how that board has to be grounded?

Edit: Just to let you know I put in the new MPU and it works fine, so the connector thing was not an issue in the driver board. Just have some smaller issues to deal with but I still need to figure out how to ground the things I mention above.

Sorry about all the noobish questions. Just want to make sure I am doing this right.

Thanks!

#6 5 years ago

I srtill need to get this to the PinWiki, but I upgraded the ground connections on the driver board itself.
Connecting all ground insted of individual connections.
Look at the yellow circles...
I need get the discriptions more precize, but if you have question, just ask.

Peter

20180723_163808a (resized).jpg20180723_163808a (resized).jpg20180723_163819a (resized).jpg20180723_163819a (resized).jpg
#7 5 years ago

Hi @inkochnito, Thanks for the reply, I have a couple quick questions. Is this modding of the driver board suppose to replace or be added on to what is already done for the driver board?

For these wires that you soldered on did you have to expose these traces somehow? Or were there already exposed points that you could just solder to? (probably not using the correct terminology) If you had to expose the trace, how did you do that? I haven't had to do that before.

Also, what type of wire did you use, looks like its solid in the pictures, is there a particular gauge that you would recommend to do this with?

Thanks!

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from cperro:

Hi @inkochnito, Thanks for the reply, I have a couple quick questions. Is this modding of the driver board suppose to replace or be added on to what is already done for the driver board?
For these wires that you soldered on did you have to expose these traces somehow? Or were there already exposed points that you could just solder to? (probably not using the correct terminology) If you had to expose the trace, how did you do that? I haven't had to do that before.
Also, what type of wire did you use, looks like its solid in the pictures, is there a particular gauge that you would recommend to do this with?
Thanks!

Add.... extra ground connections.
Tying together all ground connections on the driver board.
Whenever one connector ground goes bad, the other conectors take over.

Some traces needed to be scrapped clear of the protective green mask.

I've taken a 0.5mm solid core wire (UTP cat 5e cable strands).
Easyer to bend in the right angle.

Peter

#9 5 years ago

Okay so I'll add your method on top of what pinwiki shows.

Would there be a particular tool that you would recommend to scrape the green mask off with?

I'm still can't tell for sure which wire to solder the ground wire to for the driver board. I've attached one of Peter's images and put a red circle where I think it should be, is this correct?

Thanks!

image2 (resized).jpgimage2 (resized).jpg
#10 5 years ago
Quoted from cperro:

Okay so I'll add your method on top of what pinwiki shows.
Would there be a particular tool that you would recommend to scrape the green mask off with?
I'm still can't tell for sure which wire to solder the ground wire to for the driver board. I've attached one of Peter's images and put a red circle where I think it should be, is this correct?
Thanks!
[quoted image]

I always use a small screw driver.
It's fairly easy to do this.

Any place on the board is fine, as long as it is a ground connection.
With my advice on the ground connections these are all connected to eachother.
To verify this you can use a DMM and check them if it reads zero ohm.

#11 5 years ago

Sounds good, I'll be working on this likely this weekend. I have another question. The game is booting with my new MPU but there are no background sounds and no sounds after hitting the pop bumpers. Something I mentioned before was that the wires on the J5 connector to my driver board weren't lined up with all the pins on the driver board. Almost as if the connector had the wires flipped. Is it possible for another system 80b owner to check this out on their driver board and tell me how it looks (or take pictures) to see if my connector got repinned incorrectly at one point?

Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Warrington, PENNSYLVANIA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-raven-new-project-machine?hl=luzur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.