Gottlieb Raven (1986) Advice

By cperro

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi,

I'm currently trying to see if I should purchase a non-operational Gottlieb Raven (probably needs new MPU according to seller). They want $500 Canadian (~390 US). From what I have been reading from many year old posts that would be too much. It's been a number of years though so I'm trying to get an idea for how much it is worth now. I don't plan on reselling it, I just enjoy picking up broken arcade cabinets/pinball machines and fixing them up and playing them myself.

Thanks,
Chris

#2 5 years ago

What are the symptoms of the game? My guess is the mpu is fine, most likely the daughter board ROM has broken cold solder joints. It's a very common issue in the 80b games.
I just fixed a Genesis for a customer that appeared dead. It won't boot if it can't read the ROM. I used the piggy deux bypass board and the game is rock solid now. I also did the grounding on the pcbs and the lower cabinet grounds.
The piggy deux is around $45 incl shipping.

#3 5 years ago

If the rest looks nice i would pay $500.00 for it

#4 5 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I haven't seen the game yet, just some pictures. The seller said that the MPU doesn't look to be salvageable. The guy who is selling it has a repair business for pinball and arcade cabinets so I take his word on it. He is actually selling it for a friend which is why he is not repairing it himself. The images that he uploaded doesn't show a lot of wear on the part of the playfield that he showed and the exterior looks pretty clean too. I might as well check it out then and see the rest and get some more details about the symptoms of the game. Thanks again.

#5 5 years ago

I would pass......... it's a Raven. Lots of problems can arise on this system..... lots of connector work,ground mods, and pray the soundboard works. The guy selling it repairs pinballs and would rather sell it broken, that outta tell you something.

#6 5 years ago

Worst case it would need a new mpu there $200.00 the ground mods are easy to do, I have 3 Gottliebs in my collection and after upgrading a few things they have been the most trouble free out of all my games. the only thing that would hold me back from buying it is if somethings missing or broken that you cant buy new, pinball resource will have anything you might need for it, I played a really nice dialed in Raven and had a lot of fun playing it, usually they need the flippers rebuilt and dialed in to make the ramp shot.

#7 5 years ago

It's AT BEST a $600-$700 game fully working. Keep that in mind when considering the parts you'll need to buy and the time you'll have to put in fixing it.

#8 5 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'm just going to have a look at it tonight since the pictures weren't great on the ad. If it doesn't look good I'll just wait for something else.

#9 5 years ago

give him 400 cad,disregard the 80b haters and go for it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-raven-1986-advice?hl=pinostalgia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.